News   Apr 26, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 433     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

steveve's Toronto city model

First off, congrats (again). Second, I can't believe you're 17 already, I remember when you joined at the young age of 14 and all the "epic" comments you brought. You have definitely been a positive influence on the forum as far as I'm concerned.

haha! ^ ya, time really does fly

I built a few more blocks a few weeks ago since that last update (I finally hit Queens Park on University Ave.) but never posted a photo, so it's a minor update, but what is different is a got another sheet of wood so the model area has now doubled in size. (8ft x 2ft). So I once again can build further north or even south if I want to. I've got the space.
I also put it on the table that I was using for the old model (now in storage), so what that means is basically I can take skyline shots and better photos now since one side of the model is up against the wall now :D

Bloor street here I come...

Update August 18, 2012

7810977962_93de648e9c_c.jpg

7810975326_e9a0418345_c.jpg

Finally hit bloor street!
Working on the "spine of the city", moved up along Bay's east side, (omitted Sutton Place due to the redevelopment process still in the works)
Built the main tower @ Manulife Centre, the 2nd tower will be built very shortly.

A lot to look forward to in the Bloor/Yonge area: Uptown, Casa 1 and 2, U condos, One Bloor, Four Seasons, Holt Renfrew Proposal (gonna be huge), etc.

Update August 20, 2012

7826605892_9990ddc37c_c.jpg

Few things going on:
- Four Seasons, 18 Yorkville, CIBC bldg@ Yonge/Bloor, Uptown Res., Crystal Blu, a few other minor buildings, and the outline of Queens Park is visible,

Things to come shortly: One St. Thomas, U Condos,

*I can build One Bloor anytime now, but nobody seems to know the official height/if this thing is officially 75 stories (i'm pretty sure it will be).. If anyone has any info on this it would be much appreciated :D

Update August 29, 2012

7889741800_51f930a055_b.jpg

ya ^ hopefully we'll get some more official numbers soon, and ya there's a big question as to whether the roof will be sloped or flat.

Quick Update:

A few more things filled in to the Yonge/Bloor area (Casa/BSN)

I've decided to go along and start on Southcore, started with Telus House, 18 York, and Maple Leaf Square... I'll finish up the rest of south core shortly except for ICE Condos (mostly because I'm not sure how the final roof feature will look like).
Also, U condos will be built shortly.

Update September 4, 2012

7933312540_b071a714eb_c.jpg

steveve, unless you want to wait 2 years to build Ice, I would suggest you go through with it.(I don't think we will know what the roof feature will look like until it is actually built) hold off on Ten york though, as that redesign will be shown publicly on the 12th.

2 year wait for Ice? You must be referring to how long before we see frozen water again in Toronto. My guess is the west tower will be topped out in 5-7 months and the east tower within a year... Tiny floorplates that only change once = fast progress

One question for steveve: Is there any way to preserve your entire model once its finished? Cardboard will degrade and warp over time, especially with our humid summers. I know they have a fancy way of reproducing models i think involving a laser (not sure but I remember a TV show where someone designed a car and they put the model in this crazy machine that shrinkwraps it or waxes it or something crazy) but i'm sure its costly

Last edited:
Any plans to try and make a CN Tower model?

Ya, I've been thinking it's almost time to get around to building the CN Tower, I've pushed it aside for a while, but ya, it won't be complete without it.. I just have to figure out the best way to build it, :)

steveve, unless you want to wait 2 years to build Ice, I would suggest you go through with it.(I don't think we will know what the roof feature will look like until it is actually built) hold off on Ten york though, as that redesign will be shown publicly on the 12th.

I'm thinking of building both towers to their roof (which I hope will be flat) and then add the roof feature when we start to see it coming together,
and ya, I was never a fan of 10 York's original design. And ya, I'm hyped to see what they come up with

One question for steveve: Is there any way to preserve your entire model once its finished? Cardboard will degrade and warp over time, especially with our humid summers. I know they have a fancy way of reproducing models i think involving a laser (not sure but I remember a TV show where someone designed a car and they put the model in this crazy machine that shrinkwraps it or waxes it or something crazy) but i'm sure its costly

Interesting question, I've thought about cardboard warping over time, but never really knew if it's something to worry about quite yet. Does paper card (the thin cereal box type cardboard with the printed side and the plain side) also do the same thing? My room stays pretty cool in the summer (I'm an AC guy) so hopeful temperature shouldn't be a huge issue. The old model which I built a few years ago has held up pretty good, though of course only time will tell how long it lasts.

Hopefully it'll last at least a few more years, but if nature wants nature will take it's course lol

I have a low cost suggestion for what should be eternal preservation. Just go down to the drug store and pick up a few canisters of hairspray. If you take it outside and put an even, thorough coat over each building it should last ages. I know my mother has done this with flowers (ex. corsages) and they've lasted quite a long time, and of course those are obviously more delicate than cardboard. Would be a shame to see it wither away with all the hours you've put into making it.

(I'd maybe test out your technique on some cardboard that is meaningless first. If you're too generous I'm afraid you'll soak the cardboard and warp it anyways, speeding up what you're trying to minimize in the first place.)

I have a low cost suggestion for what should be eternal preservation. Just go down to the drug store and pick up a few canisters of hairspray.

Another alternative I was thinking of was some sort of matte varnish, not sure if either of these will work, but I shouldn't have to worry about preservation any time soon.. I'll start experimenting when I start to see some warping over time.

I wonder if spray painting the entire model would also seal in the cardboard, i mean, the entire colour and texture of the model would change, but at the same time it would have one, single, unified colour, and look a lot less cardboard and more like moulded pieces...

(and ya, I'll definitely experiment on something before spraying the model lol)

Update September 10, 2012

U Condos, FIVE Condos, Southcore Financial Centre (Bremner Tower/Delta), and minor work done around Queens Park.

7973840376_f3dced8865_c.jpg

7973838876_c209366ec7_c.jpg

7973841950_67794cc9e3_c.jpg

Back