News   Jul 15, 2024
 292     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     1 

State of the big chain grocery stores

Just what the Annex needs: another over-priced (Sobey's)

Express, by the looks of it. I was wondering what was going in this spot.

Today, taken by me:

DSC08864.jpg

Something buried deep in my brain says that I once read that this location was Conrad Black's pride and joy when he owned Dominion...

Obviously, Conrad Black never shopped at this Dominion. It has the worst layout of any grocery store that I've ever been to. Hopefully, the reno will address this.

I went to the Dominion at Bayview and Eglinton to take a look at the renovations on the weekend. It seems like they may be gaining additional space by expanding outwards. They also appear to be getting rid of some interior walls that made the store a pain to navigate. Parts of the floor has been stripped to the concrete. Despite the renovations, the store seems fully stocked and operational.

I paid a bit of a price for my curiosity though. I returned home from the store only to realize that I was missing some groceries. I went back to the store thinking that I must have left a bag behind, but the cashier got pretty defensive the moment I asked about it. I'm pretty sure she must have handed one of my bags to the guy ahead of me, as all the missing items were the first to be rung in while I was still unloading my cart. I think I'll just stick with Loblaws for my general grocery needs from now on.

I can't see Conrad Black having any love for Dominion or most of the assets he owned through Argus in the pre-Hollinger/Southam days. Dominion was decimated and sold off to Atlantic and Pacific.

I wish they'd tear that Dominion down personally.

It would be a good site for a redevelopment, but I would also have to imagine that it's a pretty profitable location for Dominion. If they are reno'ing, they have apparently decided that the benefit of keeping it in operation exceeds the gain that could be realized from selling it.

Anyone grocery shop at Wal-Mart?

(Just asking, because it's supposedly the big industry bogeyman.)

I'm a little late to this party, but since someone else dug this thread up again, I'll add my 2 cents:

Having a car (in case you hadn't noticed), I have used the Wal-Mart at Eglinton/Warden but only for toiletries and whatever 'emergency' groceries we've needed at the time. Their prices are okay. The line ups are awful, although the self-check outs are interesting.
I usually frequent the Food Basics on Wellesley because (get ready for this) they have free parking adjacent to it. The No Frills on Sherbourne is a little nicer but since the underground parking attendant expects you to hand over a deposit, I don't bother unless I am on foot (with the dog) in which case I can only carry one or two bags.
I haunt the Mr. Grocery in the Manulife Tower when I come out of my gym, but due to their prices, only for emergency items.

I use what I call the Rice-a-roni test to determine whether I am going to buy only 'must have' items or do a major shop. The Dominion at Bayview/Eglinton failed that test horribly: they wanted, like, $1.99 for Rice-a-roni. Sorry. I left the cart in the aisle. Most No Frills and Food Basics charge $1.29 or even .99 on sale. As silly as this test sounds, it is a pretty good indication on what the general prices are like in the store. If they are going to hose you on Rice-a-roni, then they will hose you on the rest of the prices, too.

To avoid the car or too much grocery-lugging, why not make more frequent quick grocery trips for fewer items at a time? More "Euro" that way...

Yeah, last Friday (25 July 2008) in the Annex I noticed Dominion's is undergoing renovations--to prepare for the head-to-head battle with Sobey's?

DSC09877.jpg

This is the store where I do most of my grocery shopping. I went shopping last night for the first time in a couple weeks (I'm lazy so I like to buy as much stuff as infrequently as possible as I can), and am really impressed at the ongoing renovations. They are greatly increasing the variety of foods offered without expanding the store size by utilizing new, higher shelves.

Ever since I moved here I've disliked that store, but shopped there because it was the only place convenient (without having to carry bags up/down stairs to a subway). These improvements are long overdue.

The Loblaws on Dupont has easy access for (northwest) Annex residents and is a really nice store.

I'd like to see them knock down that Dominion, move the parking underground, and rebuild it twice the size. That store is claustrophobic even when it's only a little busy.

To avoid the car or too much grocery-lugging, why not make more frequent quick grocery trips for fewer items at a time? More "Euro" that way...

I did when I lived in 555 Sherbourne. I still do some of my groceries when out with the pooch. Still, nothing like dropping over to Food Basics on the way home since I have the car out anyway.

Can't see my sister with 4 boys under 14 doing her groceries in Kensington...

The Loblaws on Dupont has easy access for (northwest) Annex residents and is a really nice store.

I'd like to see them knock down that Dominion, move the parking underground, and rebuild it twice the size. That store is claustrophobic even when it's only a little busy.

I've been wishing that Dominion was twice as big ever since I moved here. It would just suck to be without it while a new store was being built.

My problem with it's small size though, isn't that it was too cramped (though I can see that being a problem for some). My problem was the limited selection. With the new shelving they've installed (so far in about the southern 2/3 of the store), they've greatly increased the selection. It's almost like shopping in a whole new store without any additional square footage. I suggest you check it out sometime.

Back