Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.healthzone.ca/health/article/613682

TTC eyes stricter ban on smoking
Youth group urges smoke-free area nine metres around bus stops
April 4, 2009

Paul Moloney
CITY HALL BUREAU

The Toronto Transit Commission is considering banning smoking within a nine-metre radius of any of the city's 10,000 bus and streetcar stops.

The commission members yesterday approved the idea in principle and called for a report on how to implement and enforce such a ban, after hearing a plea from an anti-smoking youth group called T-Dot – Toronto Don't Own Tobacco.

To be an effective deterrent, the fine should be substantial, said Amulya Dakka, a peer leader with T-Dot, which has about 30 members aged 14 to 18. Dakka suggested $500.

TTC chair and Councillor Adam Giambrone said that because most stops are on the city's road allowance it would be up to city council to adopt a ban.

The city recently banned smoking near playgrounds, and carrying through on transit would send a strong message, Dakka told members of the transit commission.

"The TTC is one of the major transportation services in Toronto that provides facilities for 1.5 million passengers a day," she said. "We believe it is important for us to create a safer and healthier transportation system for all TTC users. The proposed nine-metre bylaw will reduce the number of people exposed to the harmful effects of second-hand smoke."

"I think the initiative is great," said Councillor Joe Mihevc, a former board of health chair. Giambrone said council could deal with bus and streetcar stops within Toronto, but there are also about 1,000 stops in adjoining cities that the TTC serves under contract, which would have to decide whether to join a ban.

"I think what you're seeing presented here today is the beginning of a campaign in Toronto ... around curtailing the spots where smoking is acceptable – playgrounds, transit shelters being some of them," Giambrone said.

The TTC has long banned smoking in stations and on vehicles and people have complied.

Sounds good, but like other TTC bans on spitting or littering, smoking at bus stops is one ban that is hard to strictly enforce.

The TTC has long banned smoking in stations and on vehicles and people have complied.

Not entirely. Many open-air TTC bus terminals are littered with cigarette butts, and it's not hard to find someone lighting one up while waiting for a bus.

I think what you're seeing presented here today is the beginning of a campaign in Toronto ... around curtailing the spots where smoking is acceptable – playgrounds, transit shelters being some of them

I thought bus shelters were already off limits. The new bus shelters have "no smoking" decals on the glass.

I saw this in the Star. Anything that gets smoking further away from public places is good for me. Interesting that they're using bus stops though...

So stupid. The TTC doesn't own the sidewalk. They have no right to tell you where you can smoke on property that is not their own.

So stupid. The TTC doesn't own the sidewalk. They have no right to tell you where you can smoke on property that is not their own.

ttc is owned by the city
city owns the sidewalk

"TTC chair and Councillor Adam Giambrone said that because most stops are on the city's road allowance it would be up to city council to adopt a ban."

Last edited:

lol, is the Sidewalk owned by you...

While I'm personally quite happy to see smoking banned completely withing city limits ...

... I see no point exanding the restrictions, when they aren't enforced now. It's quite routine to see smoking in the covered areas at subway stations where it is already banned - and I've never seen any TTC staff member even attempt to enforce it.

I've asked a waiting TTC staffer once about this while a older man decided to light up at a subway station - he said only the Special Constables can and should do anything.

Meanwhile, in Chicago, a station attendant left her booth to yell at someone for smoking on an open L platform.

I've asked a waiting TTC staffer once about this while a older man decided to light up at a subway station - he said only the Special Constables can and should do anything.
So by extension one can smoke on a subway train or bus, because there are no special constables there, and the driver wouldn't say a word??

TTC Staff can call special constables - I'm yet to ever see them do this.

These anti-smoking laws are getting a touch ridiculous.

It's called common sense and respect for others. If I'm outside I'll smoke where I please and if I'm at a location where there are people around me, I will ask them if they mind that I'm smoking. If they say they do, I don't smoke. Simple concept not requiring any misguided laws.

What the bloody hell do we need these ridiculous laws for? Nanny state to the rescue! (again) :rolleyes:

and anyway, is there a magic barrier 9 metres around the bus stop that will prevent smoke from wafting into the area if I were to stand outside it?

Kinda like how if I'm standing on the other side of the fence of a train platform it's oh so different from smoking on the other side of the fence on the platform itself, right?

L....O.....L

These anti-smoking laws are getting a touch ridiculous.

It's called common sense and respect for others. If I'm outside I'll smoke where I please and if I'm at a location where there are people around me, I will ask them if they mind that I'm smoking. If they say they do, I don't smoke. Simple concept not requiring any misguided laws.

What the bloody hell do we need these ridiculous laws for? Nanny state to the rescue! (again)

and anyway, is there a magic barrier 9 metres around the bus stop that will prevent smoke from wafting into the area if I were to stand outside it?

Kinda like how if I'm standing on the other side of the fence of a train platform it's oh so different from smoking on the other side of the fence on the platform itself, right?

L....O.....L

It's more so an anti-douchebag law. We are all educated enough to know that cigarettes are harmful, and no benefit comes from smoking (except for corporate profit and taxes).

Please, keep your cancer to yourself.

Back