News   Jul 09, 2024
 774     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 607     0 

Star: TTC eyes bus stop smoking ban

Last week a 57-year-old woman was slashed in the head at Museum station for no reason, and man was pushed onto the tracks at dundas station, and the TTC is worried about someone smoking at a bus stop!!! What a joke!

It's more so an anti-douchebag law. We are all educated enough to know that cigarettes are harmful, and no benefit comes from smoking (except for corporate profit and taxes).

Please, keep your cancer to yourself.

All to myself? Score!

I guess you didn't read the part where I state that I ask people around me if they mind if I smoke.

Murder laws are anti-douchebag laws; these smoking bans are just ridiculous nanny state provisions for the masses.

There's assault, murder, rape etc and then there's misguided attempts at trying to protect us from each other and ourselves. Unfortunately, in Canada the line between the two is quite a bit muddled.

These anti-smoking laws are getting a touch ridiculous.

It's called common sense and respect for others. If I'm outside I'll smoke where I please and if I'm at a location where there are people around me, I will ask them if they mind that I'm smoking. If they say they do, I don't smoke. Simple concept not requiring any misguided laws.

Some peope ask before they light up, but many people don't. They think it is a right that nobody can take away from them, and they're complete inconsiderate snobs about it. You may be considerate as a smoker, doesn't mean all smokers are considerate. Good on you for setting a good example, though. However, non-smokers need the law on their side to tell inconsiderate smokers they're in the wrong.

Frankly, the law should be expanded to the entire sidewalk, it's such a pain in the ass to be walking behind a smoker as their smoke drifts behind them and right up my nose, I always have to run in front of these people because it is UNBEARABLY DISGUSTING!!! Don't smoke on the sidewalk, it belongs to everybody, not just smokers, show some respect.

Move out of the city if it bothers you that much

Well, seeing as how there are more non-smokers than smokers, and Council seems to be favouring the ban, I'd suggest you move out of the city if smoking matters that much to you. Don't ask me to tolerate your poisoning of fellow citizens.

However, non-smokers need the law on their side to tell inconsiderate smokers they're in the wrong.

Frankly, the law should be expanded to the entire sidewalk, it's such a pain in the ass to be walking behind a smoker as their smoke drifts behind them and right up my nose, I always have to run in front of these people because it is UNBEARABLY DISGUSTING!!! Don't smoke on the sidewalk, it belongs to everybody, not just smokers, show some respect.

O god your not one of them that even in the outdoors get verbal, cough and swing your hands while passing a smoker, i guess if the guy in front of you was farting along you wouldnt mind.

Oh yeah, here we go.

Are we banning cars next? You know, all those fumes aren't really healthy.
How about pesticides on our food?
How about processed food in general?

There's no need to overstate the effect of second-hand smoke in an outdoor setting. This isn't some smoker versus non-smoker war of rights. It's about a silly law that isn't enforceable. What, if I'm walking down the street, puffing away am I supposed to walk into the road to avoid bus/streetcar stops?

L.......O........L me say

Well, seeing as how there are more non-smokers than smokers, and Council seems to be favouring the ban, I'd suggest you move out of the city if smoking matters that much to you. Don't ask me to tolerate your poisoning of fellow citizens.

I don't smoke. I hate smokers, cars fumes, and construction equipment fumes make me want to puke, But hey its part of the city! if i want clean country air i would move up north to cottage country.

Last edited by a moderator:
However the smoke from construction is useful as those guys are fixing the roads or building a transit line.

A car is someone going to work to support themselves or their family.

Someone smoking is serving no purpose.

you may think your one of those rational common sense types, but I think not...

Also I love going to the Bruce, the air is so fresh up there.

However the smoke from construction is useful as those guys are fixing the roads or building a transit line.

you may think your one of those rational common sense types, but I think not...

Also I love going to the Bruce, the air is so fresh up there.

Well said.

This law seems more than a little bit unenforceable, but I got no qualms with anti-smoking laws. Does anyone really long for the days when there was smoking in bars & restaurants?

I remember there was some town in California a few years back which banned people from standing and smoking outside. So basically, a smoker had to be "X" amount of feet away from the front of a home or business and had to walk while they smoke, no standing stationary.

Even though smoking is an awful habit and in general does far more damage to society than good, it does create jobs. Think of all the tobacco farmers in southwest Ontario. Additionally, if no one smoked, you could say good bye to a good 90+% of convenience stores who rely on tobacco sales to stay profitable (and barely so at that).

That doesn't mean everyone should start smoking, but the government has done very little to help those who are hurting from the decrease in tobacco consumption. Allowing convenience stores to sell beer, for example, would go a long way to help balance off a shrinking customer base.

The point is you can't pick and choose which bad habits have purposes or not. As long as there is consumption involved it is putting someone to work. We need to help those workers out as we try to stamp out smoking.

Back