News   Jul 17, 2024
 418     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 918     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Star of Downtown, The (Willowfield/Norstar, 12s, Kirkor) COMPLETE

Well obviously it has been surgically enhanced - the addition of a few decorative elements here and there that are intended to distract the eye and make it appear more than it really is - a dumpy and inelegant box that looks like the architectural equivalent of a deboned chicken that spills all the way out to the edges of the plate. So far, the only claims that have been made for it are that, finally, something ( perilously close to anything in my book ) has been built on the site, and that it isn't as bad as it looked in the rendering.

Ouch! I felt a shudder. I think the building just started to cry.

We're not there yet, but it's improved. We're enjoying our unit much more than the last time we spoke. I have to invite UTGA to come see.

Their rooms in the garage that you have a key to enter. The other option is use the balcony for the bike. Some people use their parking space for their bikes.

Sounds good! I don't think the unit I'm looking at has a parking space and it doesn't have a balcony. The locker in the garage should be good though

Townsuites...

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else on this forum purchased one of the townsuites, or if there is anyone who could offer a bit of advice on an issue we are having...

Our tentative closing date was April, 2008 (we knew that we wouldn't realistically be moving in by then). We received an amendment to the closing date, switching to June 2008. At the time, our lawyer advised us not to sign the amendment, as the builder could switch the closing date by issuing a notice (I believe up to 3 times). As of now, they have issued 2 notices, with the second moving the closing date to September 10, 2008.

Last week the builder issued another amendment, switching the closing date to January 2009. I know that they were supposed to advise us 60 or 65 days prior to the tentative date (Sept 10) of a change in closing dates. We have been told that if we sign this amendment, our contract is changed, and we will not be entitled to compensation under Tarion (which we should be entitled to for the late notice of revision). We have also been told that if we do NOT sign the amendment, the builder can simply cancel the Purchase agreement on us, and we will lose the unit.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? I find it hard to believe that they can threaten to cancel as a way to bully us out of the compensation that we are entitled to - what is the purpose of Tarion if builders can get around it so easily?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else on this forum purchased one of the townsuites, or if there is anyone who could offer a bit of advice on an issue we are having...

Our tentative closing date was April, 2008 (we knew that we wouldn't realistically be moving in by then). We received an amendment to the closing date, switching to June 2008. At the time, our lawyer advised us not to sign the amendment, as the builder could switch the closing date by issuing a notice (I believe up to 3 times). As of now, they have issued 2 notices, with the second moving the closing date to September 10, 2008.

Last week the builder issued another amendment, switching the closing date to January 2009. I know that they were supposed to advise us 60 or 65 days prior to the tentative date (Sept 10) of a change in closing dates. We have been told that if we sign this amendment, our contract is changed, and we will not be entitled to compensation under Tarion (which we should be entitled to for the late notice of revision). We have also been told that if we do NOT sign the amendment, the builder can simply cancel the Purchase agreement on us, and we will lose the unit.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? I find it hard to believe that they can threaten to cancel as a way to bully us out of the compensation that we are entitled to - what is the purpose of Tarion if builders can get around it so easily?

Hi mattyb93,

I don't know the sure answer to that but I recommend you call Tarion to confirm, and also to consult the lawyer you already have.

I doubt they have the right to cancel your contract.
If they do, would you get your deposits back??
If you get your deposit, depending on what the purchase price for your unit was, it could be to your benefit since the RE market has begun to soften.

Their rooms in the garage that you have a key to enter. The other option is use the balcony for the bike. Some people use their parking space for their bikes.

FYI, the condo I'm in are offering owners the choice of bike racks in their parking stalls - specifically the parking stall installation. Might be worth asking your board to consider them once the building is registered.

Hi,

Contact Tarion (1-877-982-7466) - there are specifically prescribed rules with respect to delayed closings, notice provisions and potential compensation that must be followed by the builder.

There was an extensive year long review of the delayed closings provisions and a whole new system came into effect for new buildings/homes commencing sales after July 1, 2008 that extend greater consumer protection - in your case you'll fall under the old rules, but the best advice for you is to discuss with your lawyer and contact Tarion to find out where you stand.

Hi,

Matty,

You need a good lawyer. I am probably going to get into trouble for this with my neighbours but this developer has shown arrogance, incompetence and the worst displays of greed I've encountered.

I noticed this week they are opening a sales office in the retail space for the towns suites. They are counting on you giving up your contracts in what I assume is just another money grab. They can sell them now for higher than you paid. These same Town Homes we were told were sold out, why would they suddenly need a sales office? This same office is taking labour away from the much needed unfinished occupied building we've been living in.

Norstar is horrible to say the least. They simply do not care about the people living in their buildings.

I walk by the site every day and can't wait until they are done: the mess, the noise.

Then again, I walked by the site when I was in highschool, 28 years ago when they started excavating, so I guess they are in no rush!

You can imagine what living in it has been like for the last 7 months.
I don't know a single satisfied homeowner in the building. We're still fighting to get it done right. We will win.

October 4th, 2008

stod.jpg

The regular CSRs at Rogers don't know about the 1 year of Free service offer. You would need to call 1-866-902-9534; this is a special department that handles this offer. Just give them the name and address of the building and they will set it up for you over the phone

So I recently moved into the building (hi neighbours! I'll see you at the meeting tonight) and the MLS listing included the 'one year free use of rogers cable, phone and internet'. Unfortunately, I never received any sort of certificate or promo code for that listing, and when I called that number they told me I would need a certificate.

Anyone know how I can get this?

Back