125     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 4.4K     1 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 661     0 

Star: Mondo Condos Push TO Growth

Mondo

Great name for a condo, IMHO

While reading the article I kept waiting for the proclamation that the recently proposed "Mondo" would be the city's 1000th condo or would house the city's one millionth condo resident or something like that.

Diversity and stability in the downtown core areas will be harder to achieve.
It's true. My midtown apartment building has about 70 people living in it, of which 2 are children and one is non white. It's a big change from when I used to live in Chinatown.

Land Sales
DEREK RAYMAKER
From Friday's Globe and Mail

For decades, the corner of Sheppard Avenue and Leslie Street was a drab intersection dominated by the din of the automobile and the grim pavement of parking lots the size of lakes.

North of Sheppard, off the main arteries, were the cul-de-sacs from the first wave of postwar housing expansion nestled among schools and parks. The intersection itself was notable only because it was near Toronto's only IKEA store, until another mammoth store opened in Etobicoke eight years ago.

About that time, the Sheppard subway line was under construction. When it was completed in 2002, the line was roundly criticized as an expensive white elephant rammed down the throat of Toronto taxpayers by the North York-centric Toronto mayor, Mel Lastman. Ridership numbers were weak and the North York commuters remained tied to their cars.

But behind the scenes, land-assembly teams had been quietly building up their holdings on behalf of developers aiming to populate the subway line with shiny new condo towers. It started west of Bayview Avenue, with New York Towers, a six-phase development by Daniels Corp. across the street from the upscale Bayview Village shopping centre. The last of these buildings, the Rockefeller, was completed in 2006.

Related to this article

Follow this writer

Add DEREK RAYMAKER to my e-mail alerts
Latest Comments

Start a conversation on this story

But it hasn't stopped there. In fact, the Bayview projects are small potatoes compared with those planned for Sheppard and Leslie.

In October, Concord Adex Investments Ltd. of Vancouver, part of Hong Kong billionaire Li Ka-shing's property empire, purchased about 40 acres of land from Canadian Tire Corp., which operated a distribution centre near the southwestern corner of Sheppard and Leslie, for $149.7-million.

Concord — developer of the ring of high-rises along Vancouver's False Creek as well as CityPlace on Toronto's railway lands — is planning to build 20 towers with nearly 4,000 units at the new site.

“It's very significant that this developer would make their next big move here,†said Barry Lyon, president of the marketing firm N. Barry Lyon Consultants. Mr. Lyon suggested that the massive development will tap into the growing Asian market.

It's no secret that subway lines beget high-density housing developments, especially in Toronto, but the Sheppard corridor is in for a complete transformation since most of its current structures consist of two- or three-storey commercial buildings or strip malls, abutted by neighbourhoods with detached homes.

Mr. Lyon says 9,995 new condominium suites along the Sheppard corridor will be put on the market this year.

The Sheppard and Leslie land purchase certainly brought attention to the area as a future condo canyon, but there were other significant land purchases in the last half of 2006 that serve as portents of new development to come.

In the 905 district, Daniels purchased 12 acres of land in an area of Newmarket called Madeline Heights, for $4-million last August. The company intends to develop a medium-density community within two years.

In November, Galnova Developments and Bragal Developments purchased 139 acres on McGillivray Road, west of Highway 27, for $19-million. The type of development the two purchasers intend to pursue isn't known yet, but it will likely have a large low-rise component.

Also in Vaughan, Fernbrook Homes purchased 16 acres near Rutherford Road and Bathurst Street for slightly more than $16.6-million in July. It plans to launch a new low-rise community within the next three years.

On the east side of Toronto, Fallingbrook Homes purchased two adjacent properties at 1208 and 1210 Kingston Road in May for $2,180,000, intending to build a high-rise development.

Downtown, Aspen Ridge Homes bought two addresses on Richmond Street at University Avenue for $27-million in July, which will be the home of an as-yet-unnamed high-rise. It will be the second major urban high-rise for Aspen Ridge, which has traditionally focused on suburban low-rise projects. It launched Vu at Adelaide at Jarvis street last year.

In July, Cresford Developments bought 1815 Yonge St., at Eglinton Avenue, for $7.4-million. It intends to build a high-rise there.

draymaker@globeandmail.com

Downtown, Aspen Ridge Homes bought two addresses on Richmond Street at University Avenue for $27-million in July

Just north of Shangri-La? Should be good for a 600' tower here.

That article was posted elsewhere, too, but I'll point this out again:

"Mr. Lyon says 9,995 new condominium suites along the Sheppard corridor will be put on the market this year."

!!!

^There's got to be a typo there, whether the number refers to more than one year, or if there's one too many 9s for example.

In regards to Cresford's purchase of 1815 Yonge 'at Eglinton', that's terribly sloppy reporting. 1815 Yonge is actually the se corner at Merton Street, just north of the Belt Line bridge.

Based on how far off the Cresford report is, the Aspen Ridge site on Richmond 'at University' is more likely to be west of Simcoe - I'd guess on the south side, beside that horrible hulk called University Plaza. I would therefore expect much, much less than 600 feet for that project.

investigative 42

"^There's got to be a typo there, whether the number refers to more than one year, or if there's one too many 9s for example."

It seemed like an impossible number, but maybe it depends on what they consider "the Sheppard corridor" and "on the market." Add the Canadian Tire condos plus the Parkway Forest proposal plus the new Yonge & Sheppard duo plus a few others, you do get over 10,000 units, but I agree that it's impossibly optimistic that they'd all be on the market at once. If it's true, though, exclamation marks are in order.

In regards to Cresford's purchase of 1815 Yonge 'at Eglinton', that's terribly sloppy reporting. 1815 Yonge is actually the se corner at Merton Street, just north of the Belt Line bridge.

And the New York Towers are not west of Bayview. Sloppy indeed.

But behind the scenes, land-assembly teams had been quietly building up their holdings on behalf of developers aiming to populate the subway line with shiny new condo towers. It started west of Bayview Avenue, with New York Towers, a six-phase development by Daniels Corp. across the street from the upscale Bayview Village shopping centre. The last of these buildings, the Rockefeller, was completed in 2006.

Hmm. If I remember right, there's actually a pretty cool Toronto-International-Style building there right now. red brick, strip windows... sign reads "Milnes Fuel Oil"

Exactly. Great c1950 looking thing, don't know who did it. More recently Reich + Petch (or as I call'em, Puke + Retch) were there; so it's had design-conscious tenants who could presumably "appreciate" it in passing...

Back