News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 558     0 

Star: Minding the gaps on The Better Way (Transit Camp)

A

ahrvojic

Article

Minding the gaps on The Better Way

A Quiet Car and an Improve Your English car in subway trains. A lapel button to indicate you're feeling gregarious. When 100 TTC lovers assembled recently for Transit Camp, they had visions aplenty for the system

February 11, 2007

Leslie Scrivener

Say it's been a frantic day at work – phone calls, interruptions, intrusions. The day ends and you long for silence, but a subway ride lies ahead. What to do? Why, at the station make your way directly to the Quiet Car, the one without conversation, where cellphones and announcements are silenced.

The Quiet Car may not suit everyone. But, if you're feeling friendly, put on a lapel button that says "OK," a signal that you're open to conversation.

Want to improve your English? Head for the Improve Your English Car, where volunteers will help you practise for the duration of your ride.

These ideas emerged during last Sunday's Transit Camp, a day of out-of-the-tunnel thinking on how to improve the Toronto Transit Commission, specifically, its clunky website, its shelters, its subway cars and the way it communicates with its riders.

The 100 or so campers were young, in their 20s and early 30s, mostly people who work in the communications and tech industries and university students, all madly in love with transit. The TTC is symbolic of their relationship with the city – but more about that later.

They wore toques and scarves, and some stayed in their parkas because the ballroom at the Gladstone Hotel on Queen St. W. was frigid. Peering over their shoulders, watching as the younger people moved images around on their white Mac laptops, were the 50-somethings, the people who run the TTC, listening and learning. And politicians were hovering, too. Adam Giambrone, the TTC Chair, spent the day there. Vice-chair Joe Mihevc was also present.

Gary Webster, 55, interim general manager of the TTC, took notes. "Several years ago this is not a group I would likely spend time with on a Sunday," said Webster. "But if we don't show up we send them a message we don't care ... we have to think of it more from their point of view than we usually do."

Many saw this as an important turning point, if not a history-making event: here were the TTC brass and politicians listening to their riders, the people who use the beleaguered system, and young people at that.

Webster, with an engineer's more linear way of thinking, said it took him a while to figure out what was going on among the clusters of creative people. But once he understood the process – open, non-hierarchical – he listened carefully. A hand-written notice taped on the wall captured the vote-with-your-feet spirit of the camp: "If you are not learning or contributing, go somewhere else."

Webster came away with at least one idea he'll consider: maps for each streetcar line showing where it intersects with other routes, so passengers on the Dundas car, for example, know where they can get onto the Yonge subway.

"The TTC is, for once, turning to its users," said Bob Brent, former chief marketing officer for the system. Traditionally when the TTC consults, it calls the meeting, usually to tell riders about a route change. "It's an organization that has tended to be xenophobic and claustrophobic."

Brent, 56, started the TTC's first website in 1997. "And it hasn't changed in 10 years."

While most of the energy at the transit camp went to reorganizing and simplifying the TTC home page – it was variously described as too cluttered, too corporate or designed by Soviet commissars – one group addressed transit shelters and how to include directions and ways of finding information.

One popular idea dubbed "Where's My Bus" featured a numeric countdown screen at each shelter – like the new pedestrian signals – that tells you how many minutes until the next bus will arrive. "This is a design slam," says 29-year-old Kristan Uccello, a bearded, toque-wearing software engineer. "So let's go crazy with it." He and a team of campers were working on an idea for a "user interface," a screen in transit shelters to display a route map that would tell you where you are and where the bus is.

The transit camp's redesign of the site downplayed corporate policy documents and highlighted trip planning. As in, "I'm here, how do I get there and what time is the next bus?" – information you could get online before leaving work or by text message on a cellphone while you're standing at the bus stop. And Michael Glenn, 31, a co-founder of the Web design firm RadiantCore and a daily TTC user, suggested making it available in multiple languages.

Kal Bedder, who runs the TTC website, watched the group's brainstorming with interest. The transit system's site gets 11.8 million visits a year: how do you best cope with a huge range of individual rider queries? But he liked what he saw and heard. "This is the new town hall," he says. It's a "playground for ideas." Not to mention the source of a lot of free advice.

Back at the redesign of the subway car, sociology PhD student Sam Ladner, 36, and political science/philosophy undergraduate Rochelle Latinsky, 21, tossed all their ideas into a cardboard model that was furnished with colourful Playmobil figures. They were thinking of a cluster of seats in the middle of the car, so there's more room for standing during rush hour. Of poles that short people could reach. Storage for backpacks. Outlets to plug in a computer.

Ladner talked about how design shapes experience and how difficulties are created when design is poor. Take the backpack, for example. "People walk around and the packs smack you on the head," she said. "The little incivilities add up and the backpack is a symbol of that. You take the backpack off and recognize the communal space."

Connecting the community around a subway station to the station itself was a theme among artists at the camp. Illustrators Julia Breckenreid and Sandra Dionisi wanted to see subway art – think of all the empty wall space – displayed the way advertising is. Better still, use art made by creators who live near the station. "Have art in the subway cars and streetcars," says Dionisi, "so riders are looking at art, not at their feet or avoiding looking at other people." Other ideas: project images on the walls of subway tunnels, or hold a design competition for Metro passes.

Eli Singer, a 29-year old who works for Cundari SFP, a company that specializes in branding, sees the transit camp as part of a wider social movement, a shift toward a more collaborative and democratic way of introducing change in society. It's fuelled by Toronto's blogging community, said to be one of the most active in the world, and by first-rate, urban-centred blogs such as Spacing Wire, the leader in the discourse, as well as Torontoist, blogTO and Reading Toronto.

"This generation hitting their late 20s and early 30s wants to be part of redefining the city's identity, " says the lightly bearded Singer, who was wearing a cowboy shirt. "In the video-game generation and blogging world, the new method of communication is working together, and dialogue – it turns the hierarchy upside down or at least on its side."

As traditional organizations start to pay attention to the blogging community in order to reach the always-coveted youth market, somehow it's an easier link when the organization in question is the TTC. There's a romantic connection between a certain type of young person and the red streetcars that are a symbol of the city.

"What is our shared experience?" asks Singer. "It's the TTC. Streetcars are like moving architecture and part of the landscape.

"You have your memories from childhood. It's a way to meet people and at the same time it blends into the background; it's in the city's subconscious."

Mark Kuznicki, 36, one of the organizers of the camp – which was free and open to the first 100 who signed up on line – sees the campers as a community of urbanists, passionate about their city. "It is a very deep feeling, especially with those who are young and worldly.

"There's a ... loyalty, that this is who we are – the people, not the power structure, not government or corporations; it's not somebody else's job to create the city."

The Transit Camp was born out of frustration as well as idealism. Robert Ouellette, editor of the Reading Toronto website, wanted to go to a New Year's Eve party near Woodbine Ave. and found the TTC site couldn't help him get there.

It's an embarrassment, he wrote in an online challenge to TTC chair Giambrone in which he offered the services of Toronto bloggers to make the TTC site a better one.

The camp's organizers quickly found 10 sponsors to donate $300 each toward the camp, which took place in a month.

The event was based on the California-born "BarCamp" format, which has thrived in Toronto since it arrived here in 2005. BarCamps are open-ended gatherings on specific themes in which leadership emerges from the group, all participants are equal, and all sessions are meant to be complaint-free crucibles of ideas that belong to the collective, not individuals. Think how much creativity emerges from coffee-time conversations during traditional conferences.

During the camp, Giambrone said the TTC issued a request for proposals to redesign the Web page, with a deadline at the end of last December. But the commission found that the resulting pitches weren't "expansive enough," so it's reissuing the call sometime in the next six weeks.

Which makes room for the ideas from the Transit Camp.

"We want to make sure that (a successful proposal) includes input from groups like this," says TTC chief Webster. "People who talk about the TTC in their spare time, these people really care."

I'm getting increasingly skeptical of matters that have to do with the TTC. All they are saying is tell us how we can improve service without spending money to improve service.

When I use transit I am usually tired, preoccupied, and just want to get home. I don't need art, I don't need to be told that the next bus is coming in 20 minutes, and I don't need an improved web page. I need more trains, more subway lines, and better frequency. I also wouldn't mind an inner city, subway only metropass priced at maybe 20 bucks per month.

Chuck: You Need.
The TTC belongs to the city, so what you need is not necessarily what everybody else needs. A middle ground needs to be found.

I'm in favor of a "Where's my bus indicator". If you're tired and just want to go home, I'm sure that feeling could be somewhat alleviated if you know when the bus is coming. You could sit at work for a few more minutes while you watch a bus approaching your stop. When it's time to go, you go to the stop, wait a minute or two and there's your bus.

The TTC website is in shambles and really, an embarrassment. It to needs to be fixed.

I also welcome art in subway stations. The quality of a person's commute to work each day reflects on their mood during the rest of it. Whether you like it or not, each person's mood with which you come in contact will affect your own also.

The TTC is finally thinking of the small things that can make it The Better Way once again. This doesn't mean they're not working on getting better funding to solve the other issues.

^ What Chuck100 needs is precisely what most other people need. I couldn't care less about installing outlets for laptops or local art in subway stations when my local bus routes are running every 30 minutes or worse, causing absolutely ridiculous travel times should even a single bus break down. Waiting for over an hour in the rain at a stop with no bus shelter sucks...but at least when a bus finally comes there'll be an overhead compartment for my backpack!

Doesn't the TTC have anything better to do? A meeting on Queen West for Queen West types listening to ideas that only appeal to themselves? Oh, and Singer, my childhood memories are of subways, not streetcars...my childhood didn't take place in my mid-20s on Queen West.

The next vehicle countdowns are kind of a waste...I don't see how they can possibly be accurate. They can't tell you if a bus will hit 6 red lights in a row, or if huge mobs of people will suddenly arrive and take forever to pay while climbing onto a streetcar, etc. Nothing would frustrate me more than a countdown that stays at 2 minutes for 7 minutes, possibly preventing me from walking instead or taking another route.

The website could be fixed by talented high school kids in a matter of days...for free, if they can get some community service hours for it.

"They were thinking of a cluster of seats in the middle of the car, so there's more room for standing during rush hour."

As we won't touch each other in this city while standing (we will get closer while sitting, though) there's only so many more people that will fit into a vehicle. There could be a few more poles/straps to hold on to, though.

""Have art in the subway cars and streetcars," says Dionisi, "so riders are looking at art, not at their feet or avoiding looking at other people."

I'd rather have better designed ads. Or, since we're stuck standing in front of them for 20 minutes or so, might as well have more informational ads - huge posters with notices, event details, future TTC plans, anything going on in the city. What place could be better to display them?

A meeting on Queen West for Queen West types listening to ideas that only appeal to themselves?

That was exactly my reaction when I read more about the Transit Camp, although the idea interested me at first. Yet another Spacing West Queen West event hosted at the Gladstone for ivory tower nouveau-Torontonian uber-hipsters who will save us all from "linear thinking" engineers. Groan!

I'd like to see the TTC overhauled and brought into the 21st century like everyone else, but some of the groups pushing for change almost frighten me more than the status quo, whether it's art student dilettantes pushing Playmobil-inspired nonsense or the pro-LRT/anti-subway camp headed by Steve Munro who, with all due respect, are every bit as zealous as those they criticize.

^Or even more zealous. They remind me of American right-wingers. They rant and rave incessantly about this massive liberal conspiracy against them, without noticing that they have vanquished virtually all their enemies. Who, outside of a few suburban councillors, is even talking about subways anymore? A subway downtown hasn't been mentioned in decades, all in favour of our saviour, LRT.

I'm still not convinced. I wholeheartedly support it as an improvement to streetcar lines downtown, like St. Clair, but nobody has shown me how it will work on super-long routes like those in the Toronto suburbs.

Spadina, while I'm clearly glad it was built, is a complete failure. The travel times have been shown to be just about as long as they were with the bus, and the route went from actually being profitable to about a 60% fare recovery. More often than not, I wait 10 minutes or more for a streetcar (literally, since I'm south of the short-turn point at King), only to see one packed to the rafters and three empty cars right behind. Isn't bunching exactly what a ROW is supposed to prevent? This has all been said before, but the TTC shows no signs of any plans to improve the route. I know it's all blamed on traffic engineers who won't let them change the lights, but I have never seen the TTC publicly present any proposal to change it. I'm sure you could get twenty thousand signatures in a week to support a faster streetcar if there were actually a plan to support.

St. Clair is supposed to be the model for the future (and, again, I support the project), but all it offers is a reduction in travel time from about 35 minutes to 30 minutes, by the TTC's own (presumably rosy) figures. It's even worse than this, since the TTC will use the increased capacity of the streetcars as a justification for reduced service.

St. Clair is a relatively cheap project since all the infrastructure is already there. Is it really worth it to spend hundreds of millions of dollars for new tracks, road reconstruction, new yards, and new maintenance staff so that Finch could be turned into LRT, providing (at best) a 15% time savings end-to-end which would be negated anyway by reduced frequency?

The Don Mills bus is scheduled to take 24 minutes (without traffic) from Lawrence to Pape Station. Let's be generous and say the time savings are a bit more than 15% (and I'll believe that when I see it) if we replaced the route with a light rail line. It's still 20 minutes. The subway from Lawrence to Bloor takes 11 minutes. This will never attract transfers from the east-west bus routes, especially since they might then be forced to make another transfer to the Yonge line at Bloor-Yonge to get to their final destionation (incidentally also worsening the Yonge line and Bloor-Yonge congestion that it is supposed to alleviate). A Downtown Relief subway with less frequent stops than Yonge could do Lawrence and Don Mills to Union in little more than 15 minutes. This will mean that everyone currently riding a bus route from east of Don Mills to Yonge would transfer to the DRL subway to get downtown. This is what provides the critical mass of riders to support capacity improvements on the Don Mills corridor. It would also provide immense time savings for riders in the east end. Finally, it would take enough passengers off the Yonge line to support extensions into York Region, increased density along the existing route, and increased transfers from Sheppard. It would indefinitely prevent the need for billion-dollar signalling improvements, platform lengthening, or Bloor-Yonge station rebuilding. All of this could only be achieved with the subway technology, one that the TTC has highly successfully and reliably operated for half a century.

As for the event talked about in the article, I'm all for it. Sure, these ideas aren't going to fix the TTC, but since the TTC seems to have no ideas along with no money, we may as well get a little better on the fringes. The London Underground is a disaster in terms of service, yet thousands of people around the world buy millions of dollars worth of their merchandise, all because they have a strong brand. These "Queen West types" would gladly create those kinds of strategies for the TTC, likely for free. Why on earth would they not take them up on the offer?

It doesn't take a genius to realize that for a transit system as uniquely underfunded as TTC, cold hard cash is the only fix. Period. Build more subway lines. Buy more vehicles. Hire more employees. Lower fares. Fix tracks. Fix tunnels. How is this accomplished? With money. MONEY. M-O-N-E-Y.

Sending TTC employees to listen to a bunch of artsies (no offense) is a waste of tax dollars at this point in time. Provide the service, then worry about the finishing touches. And of course, no one is more suited to run the TTC than educated transit planners and engineers.

Artsies in Toronto have been far more successful at raising money than any planners or engineers. That money has to come from somewhere. Artsies have managed to raise hundreds of millions of dollars for galleries, museums, and art projects just in the last few years. That's not because the vast majority of the people in the city (or even of the donors) visit them every day. It's because they inspire people with the vision of a better city. It's because what they are doing is exciting. Building the subway in the fifties was exciting. The subway wasn't built by planners determining that it would be cost effective. In fact, I'm sure the severely overcrowded streetcars were extremely cost effective - that's why they could build it out of the farebox. It was built because politicians and business types wanted growth, and wanted to push Toronto to the next level. It's because they saw that World Class City X had a subway and Toronto could have one too.

The TTC needs to inspire. We've heard for the last ten years that the TTC will fall apart if we don't get money tomorrow. It hasn't happened. Nobody believes it anymore, least of all the people holding the purse strings. I've been around the world and the TTC is one of the least comfortable and most primitive systems I've ever ridden. The TTC may look great to an "educated" guy sitting in an office reading operating statistics, but to the riders who actually pay most of the bills (and vote in the people who pay the rest), it looks pretty lousy. We need the TTC to stop telling us that this money is needed to avert disaster without condescending to explain exactly what that disaster is. We need it to start inspiring us with what it could do for us with a little more.

One little thing I'm getting a little sentimental about: those rounded-rectilinear moulded-plastic subway signs (nothing more than the "ribbon" necessary on them), usually mounted on 45 degree curved poles--those seem to be falling awfully fast to newfangled lightboxes-on-a-pole w/station names et al...

Sending TTC employees to listen to a bunch of artsies (no offense) is a waste of tax dollars at this point in time. Provide the service, then worry about the finishing touches.
This isn't an either or. If you ask me, you do both. And yes, it's about time we let the "artsies" have their say too as the TTC is increasingly looking and feeling like a system run by engineers.

I'd like to see a longer list of ideas that these artsies came up with...a lot of the ones mentioned in the article are either really obvious or really bad. I'm sure they didn't spend all day making subway dioramas or collages of how much they love streetcars on their Macs but the article would have us think that's what they did just to emphasize the artsies vs engineers gap.

Hi. This is my first time here, as I was cced on an email directing people to come look at this specific conversation.

I'm having a hard time figuring out why there is such an incredible amount of contempt and seething hatred here directed towards a bunch of people who spent a sunday afternoon proposing and brainstorming hundreds of ideas for the TTC. I'm not an artist or anything, but I went along with a friend, and found a really neat environment open to any suggestion. So many things were discussed, from art sure, but also to much more mundane needs that don't always make it into the paper, like more subways, more streetcars, etc. It was an old fashioned brainstorming bee.

Even the fact that it was at the Gladstone was criticised here by somebody above, calling it an ivory tower. The organizers said the gladstone gave them the entire space (3 rooms with amenities) for free, so they wouldn't have to charge people a fee to join in. It was an extremely open event, anybody could go -- I saw posted invitations everywhere -- so how can that be an ivory tower? Complaining about it and tearing it down, without attempting to contribute or join, is strange. Especially with the anger towards people you've never seen! Where is it coming from? It's kind of a weird form of persecution, this perceptions of "hipster downtowners." It was a room full of nerds! But nerds who care.

There was also no anger in that room reflected back towards armchair jockies, or suburbanites, or engineers, or whatever else I suppose I could infer about "you" from your comments here. Sheesh.

Everybody there welcomed critique and criticism of ideas too, but man, this board! Sorry to those who said construtive comments here, I didn't mean to point fingers at you, just a bit overwhelmed now. I will look around the board more now, but I hope it's not so hate-filled. If it is, I'll leave you to it, but I hope it's more aimed at discussing and fixing and working for better rather than tearing down other's attempts at just that.

CliffordTO: Welcome! You've made some good points.

Like you, I was a bit baffled at the "ivory tower" reference. This seems to have been about as far away from ivory tower as you could get.

You don't get it. I think the "ivory tower" moniker refers to the fact that everytime one of these things takes place, it's always at the Gladstone, or some other place like it. And so there's this perception that these things are the sole purvue of the spacing-hipster-downtown crowd. It harkens to this urban hick phenomenon I wrote about earlier, this notion that because you live downtown, everyone else should, or at least go there to attend your meetings and the rest of the city doesn't exist. And if you have a problem with it, you're "suburban" and closed-minded. So why are these things always there? Why not a community centre in North York? A public library in Etobicoke? A bar in Scarborough? Why always Queen Street Queen Street Queen Street? Do you have any idea what a pain in the ass it is to get there if you're coming in from outside the core? This disdain on the part of many for going beyond the cozy little confines of Queen Street bars makes these people look like the urban equivalent of Andy of Mayberry. If I hear about some other dipshit-blogger gathering at the Gladstone that I'm supposed to care about I'll ****ing puke.

And by the way, I don't suppose it occured to anyone to ask if a driver, or track foreman, or someone who actually deals with the system on the ground to attend? Why only the brass, politicians and artsies? Drivers, Supervisors and others in the field would have been the first people I would have asked. Most anyone else is just speaking out of their ass.

And hey Cliffie, welcome. And get over yourself.

Back