News   Apr 25, 2024
 306     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.7K     1 

St Lawrence Neighbourhood Lighting Initiative.

Personally, I found the StL lighting a bit anticlimactic--though I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a commonplace BIA-ish cliche a la wall mural projects...

I was speaking to Pam McConnell's office and they tell me the lighting will be permanent and might expand to more buildings. Right now it's gonna be the Gooderham building, St. Lawrence market, the historic buildings on Front St. from the Market to St. Lawrence Centre, St. Lawrence Hall and the Church at King & Church St. (I forget it's name) It could also spread to other historic buildings like Trinity Church in Corktown, and the school house.

They are working on developing a tourist plan for the neighbourhood of "Old Town". Supposedly, they are still planning on doing something on The First Parliament Buildings site, at Front & Parliament. Right now it's a car dealership but there are plans for a (tourist) interpretive centre and a park. The car dealership will come down in about a year, hopefully. They are planning to buy the car wash and tear it down, as part of the site.

The North St. Lawrence Market is launching a design competition, I believe today. I was told it will be a completely different process, then the one that approved Corus. (which even her office thinks is unfortunate for our waterfront) From what I've heard, it all sounds like good news for St. Lawrence and Old Town.

Exciting, and I love the idea of reclaiming the first Parliament site. Things are looking up for an already great corner of Toronto!

I was speaking to Pam McConnell's office and they tell me the lighting will be permanent and might expand to more buildings. Right now it's gonna be the Gooderham building, St. Lawrence market, the historic buildings on Front St. from the Market to St. Lawrence Centre, St. Lawrence Hall and the Church at King & Church St. (I forget it's name) It could also spread to other historic buildings like Trinity Church in Corktown, and the school house.

They are working on developing a tourist plan for the neighbourhood of "Old Town". Supposedly, they are still planning on doing something on The First Parliament Buildings site, at Front & Parliament. Right now it's a car dealership but there are plans for a (tourist) interpretive centre and a park. The car dealership will come down in about a year, hopefully. They are planning to buy the car wash and tear it down, as part of the site.

The North St. Lawrence Market is launching a design competition, I believe today. I was told it will be a completely different process, then the one that approved Corus. (which even her office thinks is unfortunate for our waterfront) From what I've heard, it all sounds like good news for St. Lawrence and Old Town.

Looks like Porsche is moving just North of where they currently are to 64 Parliament St. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...951,-79.362912&spn=0.001102,0.002376&t=h&z=19

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Permit Issued

TORONTO ON

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 08 210402 DEM 00 DM Issued Date: Oct 15, 2009

Project: Other Demolition

Description: Proposal to demolish existing 1 sty building used in conjunction to previous car rental business on property. See BLD 08 210406. 64-70 Parliament St.

Application: Mechanical(MS) Status: Permit Issued

TORONTO ON

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 08 210406 HVA 00 MS Issued Date: Nov 4, 2009

Project: Car Dealership Building Permit Related(MS)

Description: HVAC - Proposal to constuct a 2 sty car dealership. Tenant - "Porche". See Demo 08 210402. 64-70 Parliament St.

I believe it was the result of the landswap deal between the City/TTC and Porshche - they got the former Parliament loop, and City got that pivotal site of the First Parliament buildings.

I'm a huge fan of lighting our buildings in the city, but if it's true, how disappointing that they're not using LEDs. This will be the standard for anything of this nature within the next 5-10 years, so why they're not doing it now is mind-blowing.

Coming back from Canuk Tire at Church & Yonge I was reminded of the good attempt to light up The Masonic Temple at the corner there. LED's are used and it's mostly successful, except along the top areas of the building.

This is great news! Thanks for attaching the Heritage Lighting Master Plan pdf link here. If half of them gets done, I'd be really impressed.

How about the lighting of the Gooderham building, St James Cathedral, etc...? I'd expect the changing of street lamps to take a while, but I'm not sure why the LED lighting of these buildings is taking so long unless there is an issue of funds.

Back