News   Apr 26, 2024
 36     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 398     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 

St Lawrence Neighbourhood Lighting Initiative.

lightarchitect

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't know if many are interested in the lighting program. But if you are and you have taken a look down in that area, you'll notice some historic buildings have been lit. The idea to have such a lighting program is great, but if it going to look the way i saw it tonight, then I'm really disappointed.

Gooderham Building- better known as the Flat Iron Building, was very poorly lit. Spots of white light on the sides of the building and the base dark and night.

South side of Front street- SAME STORY... except there were a couple of windows that were lit ever so nicely.

Other buildings included in this initiative are St Lawrence Market, St Lawrence Hall and St James Cathedral.

I do hope that they are still in the midst of adding more light. But if not..typical.

OK... So I just saw St Lawrence Hall from my balcony and they were testing the lights...

look AMAZING!

I have high hopes again...

Last edited:
ok, they turned on the lights again and this time i got a shot.

Attachments

• DSC03638.jpg
    DSC03638.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 279
Do you think stopping this will make a difference?

Maybe you should attempt to argue to have all street lighting eliminated. Good luck with that.

Pointing a spotlight towards the sky all night is different than lighting the streets.

There is some discussion of this on another thread but this is from Councillor Pam McConnell:

Date: Friday, November 6
Time: Lighting event at 6:00 pm
Location: Market Lane Park (west of the St. Lawrence North Market)

The event continues with a guided walking tour through the neighbourhood with historian Bruce Bell as we light each of the buildings participating in the program. You won't believe your eyes: the outstanding illumination of the Flatiron building, facades south along Front Street, St. James Cathedral, and St. Lawrence Hall. This lighting event is a showcase what this program will grow to be. While most of the lighting will be permanent, some is only available for Friday and Saturday nights.

The Heritage Lighting Project is alight thanks to our sponsors - Toronto Hydro and St. Lawrence Market Neighbourhood BIA. I would also like to gratefully acknowledge the strong support of the participating buildings - Allied Properties REIT, Woodcliffe Landmark Properties and York Heritage Properties.

I love it... we don't have nearly enough such lighting at our significant buildings/areas.

Pointing a spotlight towards the sky all night is different than lighting the streets.

Oh good grief, aren't these likely LEDs? The whole project probably uses less energy than the bulb in your bathroom.

This is a great project and I love the fact that it isn't functional in any appreciable way. Awesome!

Back