News   Sep 26, 2024
 712     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 777     0 

St Lawrence Market

The Toronto Sculpture Garden has been temporarily closed "for maintenance including remediation and pest control" until September.

I think this is good. It's been looking a bit rough, especially since the adjoining restaurant closed. The fountain has not run this year and has been spraypainted a few times. The last artwork to appear there earlier this summer was immediately destroyed/vandalized (though the artist said this was intentional -- fine, very conceptual, but it didn't do much to make the garden a welcoming stop in the neighbourhood.)

Then I cut through there at night earlier in the summer and it looked like the ground was moving, it was teeming with so many rats running back and forth in the plantings and on the grass. I got freaked out and left quickly. The most rats I've ever seen in one place and some of them were BIG.
My guess is that's why the fountain was shut off. One of the biggest attractions for rats and mice to nest is not only food, but easy access to fresh water.

I think it was shut because at least some of its controls are inside the now closed Aveda store.
Oh, really? So they actually had to go in there and can't now. That's an odd arrangement, but I guess with historic areas that's how that works.

Oh, really? So they actually had to go in there and can't now. That's an odd arrangement, but I guess with historic areas that's how that works.
That is what I have heard, the water feature does run down the outside wall of the Store. Before it closed, the Maquette restaurant used to be responsible for opening and closing the park gates as part of their lease - that building belongs to the City but I do not think the Aveda one does

Nice to see three new food businesses now officially open in the SLM area:

- Mofer Coffee at Church and Front. Their coffee is a slightly darker roast than most third wave shops in Toronto, but not burnt like Starbucks. They did a fantastic job on the interior, with lots of wood: warm but minimalist. The window ledge seats along the east wall with views of the Flatiron building are particularly nice. And I love that this replaces a cannabis shop, hopefully a sign that the contraction of that industry is now in full effect and we can reclaim some of our blank street front businesses again.

- 3 Mariachis on Esplanade east of Jarvis. Also looks like a nice space, they have a few other locations already and seem to have hit the ground running. Haven't tried it yet but the menu looks good, a bit expensive but you seem to get a lot for your money.

- Kinton Ramen in the Globe & Mail building at King and Berkeley. Had a nice bowl of ramen for $15 last weekend. Should do well during the day for office and George Brown student lunches, and in the evenings and weekends with locals. Definitely brings some much-needed variety to the food scene around there.

I also noticed that Balzac's Coffee on Market street has shrunk back to their original footprint, giving up the unit at 12 Market Street that sits between them and Market Street Catch. The unit seems to be for lease now, will be interesting to see what goes into that space, I assume it will be food-related.

Last edited:
Though this Plan has been finished for some time, I do not think it has ever been linked to from here and that it was only recently added to City website/ https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/u...ted-Photos-Version-3-compre...-FINAL-AODA.pdf

Frankly, it uses lots of buzz words and phrases but, in my opinion, says very little!
Agree 100%, that document contains a lot of words that can mean whatever you want them to mean. It's difficult to get excited or upset about anything in there until those ideals are executed. (But I do agree with the feedback that the word "precinct" is weird, what is this, a US cable TV police procedural?)

Back