News   Mar 28, 2024
 525     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 409     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 748     0 

St Lawrence Market

I voted for expanded weeknight hours, which would be great for me to stop on the way home from work downtown. I used the comment box to add that it could even be for only two days a week, like Thursday and Friday nights, and that would definitely get me in there more than an occasional Saturday morning.

Last edited:
I don't think I'll ever be back in the office 5 days a week, so will probably still have time to go during the day for my main shopping. But being able to drop by on the way home from work to get a rotisserie chicken or some other prepared food, or something to quickly cook would be really nice.

I don't think I'll ever be back in the office 5 days a week, so will probably still have time to go during the day for my main shopping. But being able to drop by on the way home from work to get a rotisserie chicken or some other prepared food, or something to quickly cook would be really nice.
You need to complete the survey (poorly designed though it is) and say want you want and maybe what you think others might want too.

As I hinted at ...

Temporary Street Closure - Market Street
Origin
(April 1, 2022) Report from the Director, Permits and Enforcement, Transportation Services​
Recommendations
The Director, Permits and Enforcement, Transportation recommends that:

1. Toronto and East York Community Council authorize the General Manager of Transportation Services to temporarily close Market Street between The Esplanade and Front Street East from June 1, 2022 to September 30, 2022.​

As I hinted at ...

Temporary Street Closure - Market Street
Origin
(April 1, 2022) Report from the Director, Permits and Enforcement, Transportation Services​
Recommendations
The Director, Permits and Enforcement, Transportation recommends that:

1. Toronto and East York Community Council authorize the General Manager of Transportation Services to temporarily close Market Street between The Esplanade and Front Street East from June 1, 2022 to September 30, 2022.​
Makes sense to keep the closure. Every other city would use that lane for a Christmas market for example!

Survey filled out.

Requested both Sunday opening and opening til 8pm on weekdays.

Noted dissatisfaction w/current hours; ......

Very likely to shop at the Market more w/extended hours.

For me personally, Sundays are the more useful add-on; though slightly longer weekday hours would also be useful.

But I figured 8pm would be more worthwhile to most.

I also filled out the survey with the same answers. Sundays and 8 pm on weekdays (even if it's just a couple of evenings a week) are a no-brainer. What puzzles me is that they felt the need to create a survey to determine the obvious.

I also filled out the survey with the same answers. Sundays and 8 pm on weekdays (even if it's just a couple of evenings a week) are a no-brainer. What puzzles me is that they felt the need to create a survey to determine the obvious.

And this is the second survey; after the decision to do this, pre-Covid was already taken!

The argument seems to be that ....well....you know......a pandemic may influence people to skip work and shop in the middle of a weekday; or stay home on Sundays..........

LOL

And this is the second survey; after the decision to do this, pre-Covid was already taken!

The argument seems to be that ....well....you know......a pandemic may influence people to skip work and shop in the middle of a weekday; or stay home on Sundays..........

LOL
I think the reason for a second survey is because some people (primarily SOME of the merchants!) who did not like the VERY CLEAR responses to the first survey and public meetings. hope that if they ask often enough they may get a result they like! I understand that the St Lawrence Market Precinct Advisory Committee and the Councillor are in favour of longer/better hours so this is really a total waste of time and energy!

I know the market is an institution, and therefore has History and Traditions that must be respected, but it seems like a no-brainer that opening at more times when the general public is less likely to be at work will improve your sales. But I am not an entrepreneur, so don't quote me.

@DSC do you know if Market St. will be open for pedestrians only 7 days a week? Last time it was only for a couple of hours. Thank you.
24/7. It will thus be possible to set it up better, last time was both too short a time period and not every day so setting up furniture etc was difficult.

Starbucks at Front and Berkeley is open again. Couldn't tell what changed when looking in from outside.
Funny enough I overheard 4 people talking while I was walking by and they were saying the same thing. They couldn't tell what changed.

Starbucks at Front and Berkeley is open again. Couldn't tell what changed when looking in from outside.
Funny enough I overheard 4 people talking while I was walking by and they were saying the same thing. They couldn't tell what changed.

Well, that's a shame.

Here, I was hoping a place that served good coffee might open up........

Back