News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

St Lawrence Market

Details from the report:

1647962595890.png

1647962634197.png

1647962660811.png

View attachment 387727

South of the flat iron building construction is ongoing. Wondering what structure they are building there right now?
I think it is the south walls of the tree trench. The north side wall was built in 2021 and then they covered everything all up again (at vast expense). Once there are two 'walls' they will excavate a bit deeper between them (where white hats are standing), put in more earth. Then the (removable) covers go on top.

March 28 workshop re Market Lane.

Wellington work for next week:

Wellington St E (north side)

· The City contractor will be removing the jersey barriers currently located on the north side of Wellington St E from Church St to Leader Lane.

· Contractor will start asphalt removal on the north side of Wellington St from Church St moving west towards Leader Lane.

· Construction fencing will be placed to delineate pedestrian walking area on north side of Wellington St E

· All parking on the south side of Wellington St E will be removed from Church St to Yonge St

· Construction barrels and road signage will indicate that one lane (south most curb lane) remains open to westbound traffic on Wellington St E

· Temporary access ramps will be provided for businesses on the north side of Wellington St E when asphalt removal reaches the store fronts. The contractor will coordinate ramp installation with business owners when construction limits access

Front St /Church St Intersection Area

49 Wellington St E

· Current construction on the north side of Front Street E and at the corner of Wellington St E and Church St in front of the Flat Iron building will continue

WTF!! We went through all of this before Covid and the result was much better hours were announced. Then covid arrived so they were not put into effect and were actually reduced. Now we are having MORE consultations. I hope UTers know what to do!!

News Release

April 6, 2022

Public survey about St. Lawrence Market's hours of operation now open

The City of Toronto is conducting a survey to review the operating hours of the main building (South Market building) of St. Lawrence Market and evaluate how operational improvements can help the Market better serve visitors and residents of Toronto.

In March 2020, St. Lawrence Market was in the process of launching a pilot project with expanded hours of operation, including public hours on Sundays and weekday evenings. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the project was paused and the Market modified and reduced hours of operation to comply with COVID-19 health measures. As the City works to rebuild, the Market is now again considering relaunching expanded hours of operation.

The public survey is being conducted to verify how expanded hours of operation for the Market could best serve the public's needs. COVID-19 has impacted many aspects of our daily lives. This survey aims to understand the impact that COVID-19 has had on food shopping patterns, Market visitation and the level of demand for additional hours to access the Market.

The public is encouraged to provide their input and complete the 10-minute St. Lawrence Market Hours of Operation survey. The survey is available at www.surveymonkey.com/r/stlawrencemarkethours. The survey will be live until Monday, April 18.

Survey results will be reviewed along with other current data and past research conducted to verify what the expanded Market hours of operation could be. Research and consultation on the hours of operation has been done and included analysis of local shopping data, comparative analysis of local and international markets, public consultation, and consultation with Market merchants and stakeholders.

The South Market currently operates five days a week, Tuesdays through Fridays, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturdays 5 a.m. to 4 p.m. It's closed on Sundays and Mondays.

For more information on the St. Lawrence Market Hours of Operation Survey please visit www.stlawrencemarket.com or contact stlawrencemarket@toronto.ca.

Survey filled out.

Requested both Sunday opening and opening til 8pm on weekdays.

Noted dissatisfaction w/current hours; ......

Very likely to shop at the Market more w/extended hours.

For me personally, Sundays are the more useful add-on; though slightly longer weekday hours would also be useful.

But I figured 8pm would be more worthwhile to most.

Survey filled out.

Requested both Sunday opening and opening til 8pm on weekdays.

Noted dissatisfaction w/current hours; ......

Very likely to shop at the Market more w/extended hours.

For me personally, Sundays are the more useful add-on; though slightly longer weekday hours would also be useful.

But I figured 8pm would be more worthwhile to most.
I certainly want to see weekdays until 7pm, the current 5pm is inexcusable now that most things have fully re-opened. Good idea @Andy_in_Torontoto put in a comment about Market Street being closed and I understand we may get good news on that at the next TEYCC meeting (in 2 weeks!)

I have been going to the market pretty much every Friday since covid started. I started because the grocery stores had periodic shortages, and the places in the market never did.

It's easy from me because I'm working from home and can pop over mid-day for a quick trip. But once I'm mostly back in the office, I'll need early evening hours so I can stop on the way home from work.

Back