News   Mar 28, 2024
 90     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

St Lawrence Market

8D6833B3-A6A8-47B8-B8AF-18E9FC81DB3B.jpeg

It’s nice to see a new flower shop opening at the Market (this is the first stall on the left at the main entrance).

The sidewalk on the south side of the Esplanade between Church St and the Novotel is finally accessible. Shame it's not safe to walk around the neighbourhood anymore. Our building had another break in at the weekend despite Senior Safety Zone signs.

must be nice to never think about anyone else's experience except your own, some people have empathy (google it) and care about their vulnerable neighbours.
That is really an over reaction. I would have thought that someone walking around with a toddler could be considered vulnerable. That said, I agree with you that the neighbourhood could be 'safer' but it really is pretty safe and I have never seen anything that really worries me for MY safety or the safety of those more vulnerable. Yes, there ARE people with obvious mental problems here (as there have been for many years) but there are also far more 'regular folk" too. Unfortunately, in 2021 if you live in virtually any urban area you will sometimes be exposed to people and behaviour that is 'upsetting'. I am just not sure it's dangerous.

must be nice to never think about anyone else's experience except your own, some people have empathy (google it) and care about their vulnerable neighbours.
I think walking around the neighbourhood with a kid in a stroller does make me pay attention to safety issues. Though I would agree that my wife probably feels less secure than I do, though I think she does still feel pretty safe. We did have one stabbing in the neighbourhood recently, which seemed to be targeted, and there were gunshots near Bellisimo a few months ago, but overall I don't think it's less safe than any other downtown neighbourhood. I still think it's safer than living in a suburb where you would put your kid in a car every day.

It is on private property and was done by the Condo Boards of 109 Front St East.
109 Front St E has a Dec 2020 building permit in the database numbered 20 221383 BLD 00 BA described as "Garage Repair/Reconstruction: Proposed Garage roof slab Re-waterprfing" so I assumed that was the purpose of the work. That likely explains the number of grates on the sidewalk. Probably the roof had degraded and water was leaking into their garage and the new streetscaping was just a side-effect of that work.

I hope those trees survive and thrive, and I would prefer if McDonalds was to put some tables back there, the space looks a bit empty as it is now.
Do you know if the design was guided by a planning document, or did they just do whatever they wanted? It looks pretty nice, so I'm wondering if the design has to do with planning guidelines. On the other hand, there weren't any Site Plan Applications so how would streetscape + urban design guidelines apply here?

Do you know if the design was guided by a planning document, or did they just do whatever they wanted? It looks pretty nice, so I'm wondering if the design has to do with planning guidelines. On the other hand, there weren't any Site Plan Applications so how would streetscape + urban design guidelines apply here?
I do not know who designed it, probably the condo board and their engineers. As it's private property they could have done whatever they wanted and the city could not have stopped them if they had gone for asphalt.

Last edited:
So, on the subject of Market Lane Park...........

I was moved to look for any updates today............

And I started by looking at the 'what we heard' section on the City's web page..............

Wow........was that ever depressing.......

1636605052153.png

Really......I'm quite sympathetic to the homeless........but you want an open-air water feature which is also a shower.....? uhhh..

1636605132715.png

Of course.....large-scale signage always improves people's demeanor; and help's draw positive minded people..........and discourage the negative-types................ Uhhh..

1636605275928.png

What would change this? Its moderately busy, and well-lit..........I don't think a permanent police officer is in the PF&R capital budget........

Next meeting is Nov 18th:

1636605566590.png

1636605360590.png

Yay, they did read one of my ideas! LOL

I am loathe to engage again but I feel that market residents need to know what is happening in our neighbourhood.
On Fri 12 Nov approx 2:55pm an SUV travelled along the west bound lanes of Front St E in the wrong direction. He smashed into 2 cars (another SUV and a taxi) before coming to rest at the (now blocked) divide to Market Street. It took the police 15+ mins to attend. This driver could have killed someone, walked away and all you would hear from the police is "contact police if you have dash-cam". It is not up to the police to hand us a civilized society but they do need to address crime. Shoppers Drug Mart doesn't even call for every disturbance.
Broken Windows is not just a theory - it is in action right now in our neighbourhood.
I can look after myself but if the area around me is crumbling and disengaged, I just move.

I honestly don't know what can be done to get more attention from the City on the issues in the area. There are already MANY vocal residents. I wonder if City staff are just ignoring the calls/emails because they are so frequent.

Not surprising, the City has no idea what to do, and no real other options. Once they put the shelter here, they aren't going to move it somewhere else and piss off more residents.

Not surprising, the City has no idea what to do, and no real other options. Once they put the shelter here, they aren't going to move it somewhere else and piss off more residents.
This lease renewal has been spoken about for months and the hotel (or building?) owners are sniffing around about demolition and a new (doubtless taller) building on the site. Unless the hotel was going to do their 'promised' rehab and re-open it really made no sense to end the lease and leave the building empty. Do the immediate neighbours like it? (NO!). Would I like it if I lived next door (probably not, though I support shelters being spread around the City and this one is not very close to others. (Though more should certainly be in the suburbs as 'downtown' has far more that its fair share.)

This lease renewal has been spoken about for months and the hotel (or building?) owners are sniffing around about demolition and a new (doubtless taller) building on the site. Unless the hotel was going to do their 'promised' rehab and re-open it really made no sense to end the lease and leave the building empty. Do the immediate neighbours like it? (NO!). Would I like it if I lived next door (probably not, though I support shelters being spread around the City and this one is not very close to others. (Though more should certainly be in the suburbs as 'downtown' has far more that its fair share.)

As someone who lives in Scarborough I can safely say we have our own issues.

Some pockets of Scarborough have issues in their own right. Take Galloway and Lawrence, Orton Park, and Morningside and Old Finch for example.

Back