News   Apr 18, 2024
 691     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.2K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

St Lawrence Market

Market Street is closed. Furniture going out.
@DSC thank you very much for the heads up. Glad to hear. It’s sad that it’s so late. Yorkville did it weeks ago to close a side street to cars and reserves it to pedestrians and patios.
I’m confused that the BIA has no information on their webpage re pedestrianised Market street. https://oldtowntoronto.
They are not supportive? I’m certainly expecting more promotion on this. Sad!

The tables around the St Lawrence Markets look not well anymore. There are no sun umbrellas put in anymore. This needs to look much more attractiv!

@DSC thank you very much for the heads up. Glad to hear. It’s sad that it’s so late. Yorkville did it weeks ago to close a side street to cars and reserves it to pedestrians and patios.
I’m confused that the BIA has no information on their webpage re pedestrianised Market street. https://oldtowntoronto.
They are not supportive? I’m certainly expecting more promotion on this. Sad!

The tables around the St Lawrence Markets look not well anymore. There are no sun umbrellas put in anymore. This needs to look much more attractiv!
The BIA (and the SLNA) were certainly supportive of the closure (and of making it 365 days a year.) The closure did not start until June 1 because that was the date set by Council - should it have been earlier, probably. They are putting out tables as of this morning, I assume they will put something on their website when all is done. Last year the (BIA supplied) umbrellas were on the street and I see no reason to assume they will not return this year. I never remember umbrellas on the Market property itself.

If you want to see this block of Market Street closed all year I suggest you contact Chris Moise (who is supportive, I think). Councillor_Moise@toronto.ca The Report on this is supposed to come to TEYCC soon. Here is the motion:

"3. Requested the General Manager, Transportation Services to consult with the Manager, St Lawrence Market Complex, Corporate Services, St. Lawrence Market Neighbourhood Business Improvement Area, the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood Association, and other City divisions and stakeholders as identified about the permanent closure of Market Street, between Front Street East and The Esplanade, and to report back to the June 22, 2023 meeting of the Toronto and East York Community Council with recommendations regarding closing this section of Market Street permanently."

@DSC - glad to hear that the BIA is supportive of more pedestrian space. I think there is much more that can be done. E.g. a Christmas market around the SLM.

Last week, I contacted Chris Moise’s office re several public space deficiencies. South of the St James park the flower planters are an embarrassment. CoffeeTO is starting delayed. Market St. pedestrianisation should have happened years ago. Edward from his office responded and promised to take care of it.

Don’t see the need for any report re Market St. Staff is overburdened with such reports. Just a show in my opinion. The solution is obvious.

Yes, there have been umbrellas at the tables around the market. Please see the photo. :) Where did they disappear to?

IMG_2601.jpeg

@DSC - glad to hear that the BIA is supportive of more pedestrian space. I think there is much more that can be done. E.g. a Christmas market around the SLM.

Don’t see the need for any report re Market St. Staff is overburdened with such reports. Just a show in my opinion. The solution is obvious. I agree the solution is obvious (to us) but street closures require Council motions and not everyone likes this one. Best to get Staff to look at the implications (garbage collection for example, fire truck access etc etc. I have no doubt it WILL happen, process can be important.

Yes, there have been umbrellas at the tables around the market. Please see the photo. I forgot about them! Where did they disappear to? These presumably belong to the Market itself, you should ask the Manager. Daniel Picheca <Daniel.Picheca@toronto.ca> The street furniture are from BIA.

View attachment 482973

Scott St sewer update.

So they put the square peg in the round hole.
I guess the two large diameter cylinders were just for protection of the completed 1m dia. horizontal micro drilling.
I would still like to see a schematic of this system. Maybe it’s just a simple expensive short run of pipe with two maintenance access points?

May 31
4E9F6ADC-2E8C-46ED-8191-C924FF0A4F23.jpeg

Tuesday June 6
19F6220B-0E65-421B-BB2E-4E7FC875CBF4.jpeg

6AB995F7-1027-49B9-992F-06AAC92C1132.jpeg

From tonight June 8
The top round section was chipped away. Assuming the lower round section was backfilled?
22144657-5256-4934-B76C-7E3BBCE66C8D.jpeg

Reactions: DSC
They are either getting ready to rip up Wellington St E. for the 15th(?) time or Leader Lane is getting a fix up from Wellington to Colborne St.
IMG_4937.jpeg

IMG_4939.jpeg

IMG_4940.jpeg

IMG_4943.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4951.jpeg
    IMG_4951.jpeg
    391.1 KB · Views: 31
They are either getting ready to rip up Wellington St E. for the 15th(?) time or Leader Lane is getting a fix up from Wellington to Colborne St.
View attachment 484578

View attachment 484577

View attachment 484576

View attachment 484575
They are doing the final paving at Wellington and Scott. I was told that Leader Lane is Marked up because it will be rebuilt in 2024, hopefully like Market St and with no cars. Colbourne (EDIT: and the section of Leader Lane from King to Colbourne) is set for upgrades, soon. Paid for by 65 King.

Last edited:
Any intel on when there will be service up Broadview again?
According to Steve's website - late fall with streetcars - busses maybe a bit earlier. The tracks and the station itself are being upgraded.

He says:

The major service change is that there will be no north-south service on Broadview from Danforth to Gerrard due to track and road reconstruction. Work in this area includes:

• Reconstruction and expansion of Broadview Station streetcar loop to accommodate two streetcars at a time on both the 504 King and 505 Dundas platforms. The first phase of this (June 18 to early July) will require Broadview to be closed to traffic from Erindale to Danforth for track replacement. Work will shift into the loop in a second phase to allow streets to re-open.
  • Track reconstruction between Gerrard and Danforth. The first phase (July 4 to early August) will run from Victor to Sparkhall with track storage between Gerrard and Victor. (See maps in the original article linked above.)
See also https://www.ttc.ca/news/2023/June/S...to-accommodate-east-end-construction-projects and

And maybe look at the TTC thread as this is all a bit off topic here - a Route Diversion!

The work on Wellington has, as we all know, taken FAR longer than planned. The main contractor is Sanscon.

This Report ( https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2023/ia/bgrd/backgroundfile-237381.pdf ) is on another project on Military Trail which has the same contractor and gives details of why that project is VERY VERY delayed. It all sounds very familiar! One has to wonder why Sanscon are still being given contracts!

See: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2023/ia/bgrd/backgroundfile-237381.pdf

View attachment 484578

View attachment 484577

View attachment 484576

View attachment 484575
Though the plan is still to deal with Leader lane in 2024, I can report that @mburrrrr was correct in his comment! They ARE grinding off the top layer of asphalt they laid last fall and, I assume, going to re-pave it (again!) There were a few problem areas so I guess it's Sanscon again~!

Though the plan is still to deal with Leader lane in 2024, I can report that @mburrrrr was correct in his comment! They ARE grinding off the top layer of asphalt they laid last fall and, I assume, going to re-pave it (again!) There were a few problem areas so I guess it's Sanscon again~!

I need to hit reply, but I needed this emoticon: 😩

Edit to add: Reading that bit on Military Trail is somewhere in the Ven Diagram of alarming, infuriating and perplexing......

How can one deviate on grades and elevations by upwards of 25cm in places as a professional firm? Wow!

Last edited:

Back