News   Apr 24, 2024
 37     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.8K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 577     0 

St Clair West

I think too many stops is not just St Clair's issue. It's an issue in all of GTA. Please tell me why do we need North side stop Finch, and South side stop Finch? Or North side stop Steele, and South side stop Steele. If people can't walk across the street, they should just stay home!

I think too many stops is not just St Clair's issue. It's an issue in all of GTA. Please tell me why do we need North side stop Finch, and South side stop Finch? Or North side stop Steele, and South side stop Steele. If people can't walk across the street, they should just stay home!

Far-side stops for buses, streetcars, or even LRT only make sense when there is real transit-priority at the signalled intersections. Giving priority to single-occupant automobiles ahead of any transit vehicles does not make sense to me, especially when the transit vehicle is carrying more people than the row of automobiles in the left turn lane.

The very first step is to get proper transit signals, that are designed for transit, not regular traffic signals with English language signs next to them that say "TRANSIT SIGNAL".

[video=youtube_share;2jmX78lTQ_0]http://youtu.be/2jmX78lTQ_0[/video]
Note: There is no verbiage in Greek, English, Italian, French, Latin, or Chinese to explain what it is.

Unfortunately, legislation to allow this is with the provincial governments. We're stuck with this:
3-2-9.jpg

or this:
4208245090_f5e89fd6f8.jpg

Instead of this:
300px-Public_transportation_traffic_lights_in_NL_and_BE.  svg.png

Attachments

• 3-2-9.jpg
    3-2-9.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,019
Last edited:
Too many streetcars? If you are one of those people waiting for a streetcar, the view is different. It is to many stops just to allow those cars from side streets to turn onto St. Clair. Along the Danforth, you do not have anywhere that many lights at those side streets. Those cars on those side strees need to wait until Danforth is clear of any on coming cars before they can make a left or right. Thats what keeps Danforth cars moving. Plus i noticed you don't have those side streets intersecting Danforth and running north and south like you have on St. Clair (even though the ROW is in the way now). On the Danforth, one lane in each direction is for parked cars so there is only one lane in each direction for cars to move just like St. Clair except St. Clair has the extra lanes for the streetcars.

...it's not the stop spacing, but rather the amount of time each vehicle remains at a stop that slows down the streetcars...

there are three stops in 400m. wychwood, vaughan rd, and bathurst. it is compeletely unnecessary, vaghan rd stop is 100m from bathurst.

Its definitely the stop spacing, I havnt notices the streetcars waiting for any extended amount of time, and if anything, I'd like to see more streetcars going back and forth, so I dont have to wait as long. however the TTC in general needs to work on streetcar spacing, if theres and empty one behind a full one, the full one shouldn't even stop.

there are three stops in 400m. wychwood, vaughan rd, and bathurst. it is compeletely unnecessary, vaghan rd stop is 100m from bathurst.

Its definitely the stop spacing, I havnt notices the streetcars waiting for any extended amount of time, and if anything, I'd like to see more streetcars going back and forth, so I dont have to wait as long. however the TTC in general needs to work on streetcar spacing, if theres and empty one behind a full one, the full one shouldn't even stop.

It's not the stop spacing.

Each one of those stops serves a specific catchment area: Christie services the Humewood crowd and the bus-transfers to the Christie line, Wychwood services the barns are the Hillcrest crowd, Vaughan Road is essentially a funnel for people (and traffic) onto St. Clair, and Bathurst is packed with bus transfers. Bathurst and Vaughan are two of the busier stops on the line despite their proximity. Getting rid of one of them would cause overcrowding at the other. The only way you could get rid of one was if the Bathurst bus went into St Clair West station - then you could eliminate Bathurst stop. Otherwise, it is necessary. (It's too bad the Bathurst streetcar doesn't go all the way up to St Cl

The decision of where to put stops is not solely dependent on the distance between stops. Plus, the stop spacing is irrelevant given that there are lights at each of those intersections that slow the streetcar down.

Streetcar spacing is a problem but then again that's partially a function of the very one-way nature of traffic on the line. It's difficult for the drivers to run through stops when they're full as drivers then risk getting a late dinger pull from a slow passenger.

There are no easy fixes. Nothing's perfect.

Last edited:
Anybody have seen this video before that I found on Youtube?

[video=youtube;YP7tcWJGguU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YP7tcWJGguU[/video]

I'm actually really excited to see this place completed. It has already completely changed the feel of the area.

I hope that the shops will be accessible from the street, and not just blank doors (like at the Shoppers Drug Mart just south of this development).

Anyone know if Wychwood-Davenport Presbyterian Chuch sold? North-east corner of Wychwood and St Clair. There was a "for sale" sign up for a while over fall and winter.

There is a ST. CLAIR WEST STATION EASIER ACCESS PROJECT update from the TTC at this link.

Two options have been considered for locating the elevator from street level to the bus transfer concourse level. The TTC’s preferred option locates the elevator on the north side of St. Clair Avenue West within the Loblaws structure, in a space currently leased to the LCBO. This is consistent with TTC’s policy to locate elevators at the main entrance of the station whenever possible.

The north side option provides the shorter travel distance from elevator to platform/concourse and the most direct easier access path; it is within the main station entrance, is located close to the collector booth, uses a regular easier access fare gate, and is preferred by the Advisory Committee on Accessible Transit (ACAT). However, building this option requires property to be acquired from Loblaws. Discussions with Loblaws about the property were initiated in 2010.

The other possibility is locating the elevator installed on the south side of St. Clair Avenue West in a stand-alone building. This option would require a longer access path for customers and more extensive construction, and is more costly.

The vast majority of those who attended the Open House, held on June 25, 2013 in the Loblaws Community Room, expressed their preference for the north side option.

The St. Clair West Station elevators are scheduled to be in service in 2016. Just in time when the new low-floor streetcars are to implemented on the 512 St. Clair.

Is Dutch Dreams moving down the street on Vaughan Road, from north of St Clair to south of St Clair?

They've Dutch Dreamsified the variety store building on the corner of Vaughan and Ellsworth - they've put up new multi-coloured shutters, new flags, painted the wood trim outside and they're doing some work on the back of the property. Anyone know what's going on? They kicking out the Young Market eventually?

What's the going opinion on how St. Clair W is shaping up? Happy with what's coming in (condos), what is next to go?
I drove to the new Stockyards mall two weeks ago - what a traffic mess to Keele.

Some new restos are popping up, but I am missing more casual retail. Will Money Mart ever leave? What's to happen to the No Frills giant lot?

Thoughts?

What's the going opinion on how St. Clair W is shaping up? Happy with what's coming in (condos), what is next to go?
I drove to the new Stockyards mall two weeks ago - what a traffic mess to Keele.

Some new restos are popping up, but I am missing more casual retail. Will Money Mart ever leave? What's to happen to the No Frills giant lot?

Thoughts?

See this link on the St. Clair Avenue West Area - Transportation Master Plan.

The corridor is shaping up to become a destination in the years ahead. Hillcrest in particular has already become one. The right of way streetcar was a blessing in disguise. There are several condo projects in pre construction and currently being built throughout the corridor. Some that come to mind include:

The Nest
Homes of St Clair W
Manors of St Clair W
Rise Condos
The Barrington
The Rushton
6 Loyd
Wychwood Church Conversion (not named yet)

Main and Main developments will be re-developing the No Frills of Alberta into a major retail development with a couple of towers. Goldman Group just put in an application for a 14 story development at 898-900 St Clair Ave W.

Corso Italia just received its first Starbucks and there is land assembly work being done everywhere in this neighbourhood.

I live in South Corso Italia and can safely tell you it's rise is awesome and the next 20 years will be amazing to watch unfold. DuPont is also gentrifying at a very fast pace.

Back