Square One Shopping Centre

Very surprised to hear that! I always liked that theatre. I found it more comfy than the crappy Cineplex across the street with it's 3 non stadium seating theatres.

This has been speculated for a long time, but I really didn't think it would happen. I'm very curious what the plan here is.

There is a lot of space opening up, the new wing is essentially another hallway, lower level of Sears, the theatre, home outfitters. They need lots of retailers to fill these up, will be interesting to see what happens. Holts will be two floors apparently, but one ground and one above, similar to Simons.

I play hockey with someone at omers, I'll talk to him again when our league starts up mid October, he is in the loop of plans, targets etc.

Surprising news! The Empire (Landmark) Cinema is set to close on Friday.

It will be really interesting to see what Oxford does with all that space that is freeing up in that corner of the mall.

Square One’s Landmark Cinema closing doors Friday

Too bad. I always liked that theatre. It was great during the cold months. You could have dinner at the mall, than go the theatre without stepping outside or driving.

FWIW, the mall map on the website shows the new Holt's Wing:
sq1_map.jpg

Source: http://cdn.mallmaverick.com/system/properties/maps/000/000/013/original/sq1_map.jpg?1412352704

Attachments

• sq1_map.jpg
    sq1_map.jpg
    859.8 KB · Views: 6,346
Is there the possibility of Cineplex moving into that space? As "downtown Mississauga" becomes increasingly more dense and urban, it would make sense to move into the mall instead of staying in the rather secluded area next to a highway behind a parking lot.

Either way, I hope they go with more street-fronting retail. Duke of York Blvd seems to me like the perfect candidate for retail at grade, considering the LRT will (hopefully) be on it.

Is there the possibility of Cineplex moving into that space? As "downtown Mississauga" becomes increasingly more dense and urban, it would make sense to move into the mall instead of staying in the rather secluded area next to a highway behind a parking lot.

Either way, I hope they go with more street-fronting retail. Duke of York Blvd seems to me like the perfect candidate for retail at grade, considering the LRT will (hopefully) be on it.

Duke of York seems a little close to the mall for any sort of at-grade retail, unless it's in the corners like at Rathburn or City Centre Dr.
And even so, Rathburn at Duke of York is not at grade with the parking lot.
There wouldn't be significant parking on the west side of the mall with at-grade retail built.

I can now officially confirm that the 75,000sq.ft space that was part of Sears and partitioned from the new Simon's space will become a SportChek flagship. There will likely be a Marks opening up either in this area, or elsewhere in the mall also, as our strategy for the next 3 years includes moving those stores into malls also.

Last edited:
I can now officially confirm that the 75,000sq.ft space that was part of Sears and partitioned from the new Simon's space will become a SportChek flagship. There will likely be a Marks opening up either in this area, or elsewhere in the mall also, as our strategy for the next 3 years includes moving those stores into malls also.
"Our" strategy? Are you Canadian Tire's spokesperson now?

Marks is generally not a mall-formatted type of store. However, given the amount of new space Square One has to fill now, I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility.

Harry Rosen may be relocating to the new 'luxury' wing beside Holt Renfrew. The newer expanded location will have a 'street front' entrance with large windows. Square One is looking to add really high end tenants to this area of the mall including Tiffany's and possibly Dior.

Harry Rosen may be relocating to the new 'luxury' wing beside Holt Renfrew. The newer expanded location will have a 'street front' entrance with large windows. Square One is looking to add really high end tenants to this area of the mall including Tiffany's and possibly Dior.

I know we've all been down this road before but I'll say it again, Wal-Mart needs to go before Square One will be taken seriously by tenants like those. Perhaps the freeing up of land around the mall is part of a strategy to re-locate Wally's to a stand alone spot outside the shopping centre? Although I doubt we'll ever see a Tiffany's I think Nordstrom Rack's or Saks Off 5th take up residence.

Back