News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 624     0 

Square One Parking Lot MEGA Development

Gang,

You are correct. If height were the only metric of an urban centre then Houston, LA and Dallas would have great downtowns.

Miss is doing alreight. It will never be TO, but then again TO will never be NYC. And I am fine with that.

Not actually Sauga but the point is still there. The one in MCC is slightly less crappy, but it's still not urban.EzCode Parsing Error: [

Mississauga seriously lacks urban environment, but not density. People don't realize this. But even if the existing high-density developments in Mississauga are not pedestrian friendly, they still count for something. After all, Hurontario is busiest transit corridor in the 905, and the only one where LRT is seriously being considered, and it does not even connect to the subway.

Well, the development on the west side of square one that has been completed to date is a good first step, it just lacks sufficient critical mass to create a urban feel to it.

It does have buildings to the sidewalk and store fronts, but without more like designed buildings it won't work, so I hope this is another urban development.

What with Port Credit and MCC, maybe there is some hope for Mississauga afterall.

Now if only I could understand how Confederation Parkway just opened, on flat land near the Living Arts Centre, and yet its bumpy like its fifteen years old. Who signed off on that horrible job? Only good thing is that it is an empty 1/4 mile dead straight with no interruptions, so I guess the bumpiness might deter some street racing...

...I wonder what the 1/4 mile time of my civic is....

^ It think the bumps are suppose to be there to slow motorists down considering that most of the major development on the west side of SQ1 is suppoes to create the first major pedestrian area of MCC. I found it interesting that they didn't build some of the streets to the west side too but I doubt Amacon will get a move on for a while so an paved grid would be an even bigger joke than the current big empty field.

^ There is no need to put in the streets in advance of the servicing agreements and infrastructure installation. That would be a wasteful misallocation of resources.

I don't think Confederation yet has the top layer of asphalt. Does the asphalt go to the top of the "lip" of the concrete curb? If not, then paving isn't yet complete, which could explain the uneven surface, creating the bumps.

You're right - it is still missing the top layer, which makes sense given the construction taking place on the street over the next few years.

I eagerly await this SQ1 announcement, but part of me is selfishly-concerned that my parking rates will be heading northwards when this development starts (yes, we do indeed pay to park in the MCC offices!).

Looking out my window over Square One, you can clearly see how the existing circulation roads and parking lots lend themselves nicely to development. I would not be surprised to see much of this take the shape of US-style lifestyle retail.

Thanks for the heads-up, Louroz. Now I can go see what I can dig up ;)

vistaway,

I'm really enjoying the new farmers market location. I think it's made a big difference.

Yes, Confederation Parkway is far from being complete, thousands of construction trucks will be pounding that pavement in the next few years as a project equal to the size of City Place rises on BOTH sides of the new road.

If you notice, the new fancy pavings, sidewalks, massive planter boxes are only completed on the YMCA - Daniels Captial side, the rest of street have temp sidewalks made out of simply asphalt. What a smart cost move on the part of the city! I suspect the entire road will be repaved once it is extended over the 403 to Eglinton next year.

As for the Square One development, it should be exciting. I read or heard from somewhere that mall management took a tour of what you correctly identified as new outdoor lifestyle centres. They supposely took the best ideas and will bring them to Mississauga - something similar to what they are proposing to build in Markham Centre - ground floor retrail with offices/condos on top and parking hidden behind or underground.

I think it's also promising that the city of Mississauga is exploring at being a possible lead tenant in a new high density office tower in the City Centre.

Finally, the city has a dedicated staff member responsible for attracting a major new hotel/convention centre to the city centre.

Louroz

all good news, although you have to start wondering how much development Mississauga can handle...

what's up with Daniels' lately? they are the only major player out here who haven't announced their next phase - I believe they are approved for up to 8 towers in total..has caution about the market overtaken them?

Daniels had a lot of unsold inventory in their development and they wanted to clear out most of the unsold supply prior to advancing plans for the fourth tower of the Central Park Community. Also there is much greater competition today in the MCC condo market then there was a couple of years ago, for that reason Daniels may be exercising a greater degree of caution prior to proceeding with the next phase.

That being said, the two Capital towers are officially completely sold out as of June. Daniels is now pushing to eliminate the remaining inventory on the One Park tower. I would expect plans to launch the next phase to become public this fall.

Already using Montreal pics, eh Ganj?

Heh, I was looking for an image of a 2-3 storey streetscape with patios... purely coincidental. ;)

Toronto's equivalent would be Baldwin St. I guess... I couldn't find any good pics of it.

Nothing but good news on this second page.

I hope we hear about this new office tower in MCC soon, and see some ideas for the square one developments!

Sounds like a good idea, but will they go through with it is the question. I like the new Farmers' Market location, that corner is perfect for it.

Back