News   Apr 23, 2024
 871     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 488     0 

Square One Parking Lot MEGA Development

F

FutureMayor

Heads up,

An inside source at Mississauga City Hall tells me that Square One will make a major annoucement next month about plans to develop their parking lots.

I know it includes the city of Mississauga taking over control of all the access roads on the Square One lands.

I've been told that it might one day include a new office tower to house city of Mississauga employees which would require about 8 floors itself.

Louroz

Great news. Unless the building(s) themselves are set far back from the street in their own sea of parking lots.

I have faith Mississauga.

That's neat. Maybe it'll be tall residential buildings?

It's about time. But watch it just be a Best Buy and a Canadian Tire. How much would that suck. Hopefully it's some cute downtown-esque mid-rise retail buildings.

If there are Best Buys, maybe incorporate them into the base of a building like Eaton Centre?

Re: Square One Parking Lot

I don't have any inside info, but development here definitely won't consist of a Best Buy or Canadian Tire. No more freestanding "big box" developments will be permitted in the MCC area. My best guess would be mid-rise residential development, with retail on the ground level, or possibly an office building for the City's use as FM suggests. More offices would also be nice, but unfortunately they haven't been forthcoming recently.

I think Mississauga is going to end trying to overcompensate for a life time of low density planning by squeezing as much out of this project as possible. I somehow see a lot of tall towers (40, 50, maybe even in the 60's range) but somehow midrises and urban streetscapes are not what I am expecting.

Great news if it happens. From the way development has been heading in MCC over the last two years I have confidence that this will actually be decent. Hopefully it will be on the west side of SQ1 along Duke of York near City Hall and the LAC. The way the lots are designed would likely make it easier and more a more sensible place to start. The way they made the grandioso street side entrance during the last expansion and then made the other inlot entrances cheap hopefully supports the idea of developing them first. The fact it's near something already would make it a more senisble place to start and than slowly grow from there.

I think Mississauga is going to end trying to overcompensate for a life time of low density planning
If high-density development is a new trend in Mississauga then I believe the city has already overcompensated.

17.jpg

I predict that the condos and/or office towers that will be going into Square One will be built all along the edges of the existing mall, so that Square One will serve as a sort of PATH system linking all the buildings. Won't be the best way to generate urbanity in MCC, but at least we get rid of some parking space.

I look forward to the announcement. I bet a lot of similar city centre malls (such as Scarborough Town Centre) will be following this with interest.

Density and urban are two different things. Hopefully both happen at the same time.

^Just as towers do not always mean urban or density for that matter.

Mississauga deserves credit for being one of the few suburbs in North America that is making attempts at adapting its initial low density environment into something more sustainable. It (and the developer) deserve credit for Absolute and attempting to push the level design up several ranks.

And I hope that it will be able to credit itself with creating a successful readaption of what is a near prototype of the regional mall in all its banal splendor. But this is by no means an easy task and dropping some towers into the parking lot itself is not going to make the project successful. I am very curious to see just what is planned.

"^Just as towers do not always mean urban or density for that matter."

Towers pretty much always mean density...that's why they build them.

For all the high density, it still doesn't add up to much pedestrian-level activity. People drive from their condo to the supermarket, the mall, etc. still.

Urban...
p7070009-rue-st.-denis.jpg

Not urban...
humberwood.jpg

Height ain't got nothin' to do with it...

Back