News   May 03, 2024
 237     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 607     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Speech from the Throne: Federal Election Time?

I said nothing of the sort. Of course subsidies work, it just tends to be very inefficient. Lots of money put in for not a lot of output. For certain things with very high positive externalities, of course they should be subsidized... university education included. It isn't even really a subsidy. University educated individuals pay more than enough additional tax over high school educated individuals to pay for the government's share of their education.

Wrong. Unless carbon emissions are perfectly inelastic wrt price (a hint: they're not), raising the cost will decrease consumption, all else equal.

As are subsidies. What's your point?

Subsidies are also bad for the economy, BECAUSE SUBSIDIES ARE JUST TAXES SOMEWHERE ELSE. It's a zero sum game... every dollar in subsidies comes from taxes somewhere else in the economic system. Consumption taxes such as a carbon tax, tend to be very efficient (least bad for the economy).

Man, you throw up such ridiculous straw men. Alright. I think you know you're being disingenuous with your quibbling on carbon/carbon dioxide (it is accepted that within this context carbon refers to CO2). And no, breathing would not be taxed. Let me clear this up for you. We tax the release of formerly sequestered CO2 or equivalent. Sequestered means it was at one time taken out of the carbon cycle, usually as fossilised carbon deposits. In order to gain a carbon tax 'credit' you would have to remove carbon from the cycle in a fairly permanent way: fixing it in minerals, pumping it into former natural gas deposits, decomposing it into some inert carbon compound, etc. Fuels like ethanol, wood, etc. are exempt because they have a net zero effect on the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. It's not complicated... let me know if you want me to go into more depth.

So subsidies work, but are inefficient and are bad for the economy? You might think my straw-man arguments are bad, but your thoughts are simply confused on this issue. How about I spell it out simply for you: subsidizing actual processes or technologies that have a direct relationship to reducing carbon dioxide or other GHG's that you are so very worried about. How about that? Or to state it differently, investing in processes and technologies that maintain the enormous economic plus of cheap energy, but reduce the gases that so concern you.

A tax blandly applied does nothing directly. In particular, it merely makes the cost of fuel more expensive for those who have the most trouble purchasing it. You assume that applying a tax will reduce consumption, but you will have to tax very heavily before you reduce consumption to any large degree. That will come at a great cost to many people who will have no other alternative but to pay - whether they have to drive to work or keep their homes and families warm in the winter.

Empirical evidence demonstrates that in situations such as this, subsidies tend to be very inefficient while taxes would work quite well.

What evidence? What is it that you are measuring? What specific results have been selected? I supposed if your ends were to just make energy more expensive, then sure, taxes will work to do that. They'll make every downstream product dependent in one shape of form expensive as well.

Subsidies can be direct in nature; many have been. They can be used to encourage research that is directed; they can be utilized to enable companies to reduce investment risk in pursuing viable technologies or processes; or they can be direct investments into actual purchases of new products or processes that focus directly on something specific. Taxation ads expenses and reduces the capacity to purchase or invest - quite possibly in the very things that might actually reduce energy consuption.

Yes, subsidies are enabled by taxes, but you have to first take into consideration how the tax is generated. Set it too high and you drag the whole economy down; apply it too broadly and it is punative to to those who can least afford it but by virtue of their specific situation, and must pay at a higher rate. You can apply it equally at the source, but that does not mean that every situation is equal. That's not theory, that's reality.

Once can your arrogance shines through, afransen. I'm well aware of the carbon cycle, thanks. But just to let you know, reading theory and actually seeing systems in action are very often two different experiences. So when you get to that point in life and start paying taxes, have a home, and raise a family, you might start seeing that the world is not a theoretical black and white space. You will have to engage in ambiguity of things.

Your tax scheme is predicated on assumptions. There is still no direct proof that carbon dioxide has generated the slight (less than one degree) warming of the last century. There is no evidence that temperatures will rise by four degrees over the next century (courtesy of scenarios based on computer-generated assumptions founded on incomplete data that is adjusted to get certain results).

This thread is about Throne Speech, not carbon taxes or global warming. Can we get back to that?

During the recruitment for provincial Liberal candidates in Hamilton Teresa Cascioli was on all Liberal's radar. There's rumour she might run for Hamilton Centre. Teresa Cascioli is a HUGE name in Hamilton, ran Lakeport before selling it off to Labatt.

The catch is that the Liberals already have candidates nominated for all of the Hamilton ridings. ADFW would probably be a better choice than Hamilton Centre, anyway, since Christopherson is pretty well-entrenched. I think that Hamilton Centre will be one of the safest NDP seats for a while. The Liberals won't take it without a good majority.

Mulroney apologetics are really popular these days. I'd really love to see you guys defending Chretien or Trudeau if he repeatedly said he barely knew a man, then admitted that he met that man in a New York hotel room on several occasions when he was given multiple suitcases filled with hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash barely a few months out of office.

The investigation is winding its way along slowly, and it obviously doesn't have much political support, but there is a lot more where this came from. The big question is when did he claim this cash on his taxes.

The RCMP didn't have enough evidence when they first confronted the extremely litigious Mulroney, but now he has admitted receiving cash from one of those Airbus accounts delivered by one of the most infamous German bribe artists.

If only the federal government were more litigious. Brian Mulroney said, under oath, that he had no dealings with Karlheinz Schreiber. He has now admitted receiving $300,000 in cash from him over several meetings at New York hotels. That's clear-cut, open-and-shut perjury.

New questions raised over Mulroney's ties with German businessman
Last Updated: Wednesday, February 8, 2006 | 9:59 PM ET
CBC News
Former prime minister Brian Mulroney received $300,000 from a secret Swiss bank account after he left office because he was strapped for cash, German businessman Karlheinz Schreiber has told The Fifth Estate.

An investigation by The Fifth Estate has revealed new details of the money trail between Mulroney and Schreiber, raising questions about whether the former prime minister misled Canadians about their relationship.

Mulroney received $300,000 from a secret Swiss bank account controlled by Schreiber, the German-Canadian businessman told The Fifth Estate in his first sit-down interview.

The payments, received from Schreiber in 1993 and 1994, came from a bank account in Zurich with the code name "Britan," Schreiber said.

"There were five hundred thousand sitting, and from there he got 300," Schreiber told The Fifth Estate's Linden MacIntyre.

There is no evidence Mulroney knew where the money was coming from.

Schreiber was the focus of the so-called "Airbus affair," in which millions of dollars in secret commissions were paid in respect to the sale of the jets to Air Canada.
Continue Article

In 1995, the RCMP accused Mulroney of accepting kickbacks from Schreiber while Mulroney was in office for the purchase of a large order of Airbus jets.

Mulroney sued for libel, and under oath, denied any dealings with Schreiber.

Mulroney received a government apology and a $2-million settlement.

The Fifth Estate has learned the Britan account was activated a month after Mulroney stepped down as prime minister. The account, numbered 46341.5, received funds from another coded account owned by Schreiber called "Frankfurt."

That money, in turn, came from a Liechtenstein company, called IAL or International Aircraft Leasing. IAL held the proceeds of secret commission money from Airbus Industries, and received funds from German arms manufacturer Thyssen Industries connected to a planned, though never built, armoured vehicle factory in Cape Breton.

The Britan account was activated on July 26, 1993, when $500,000 was transferred to it from the Frankfurt account. The next day, $100,000 was withdrawn from it. A second $100,000 was taken from the account on Nov. 3, 1993.

On July 21, 1994, $50,000 was withdrawn from the Britan account. The last withdrawal from the account was also for $50,000 and came out on Nov. 21, 1994.

Schreiber said he gave Mulroney the money after being approached by former Mulroney chief of staff Fred Doucet. According to Schreiber, Doucet told him Mulroney was not financially well off and needed some help.

Schreiber said he hoped Mulroney would be useful in his continuing efforts to get an armoured vehicle factory built in Cape Breton for Thyssen. However, nothing ever came out of that, said Schreiber.

According to Schreiber, Mulroney only sent him a brochure from Archer Daniels Midland, a company which deals in wheat where the former prime minister was a director. Schreiber owned a pasta business.

In 1999, a spokesman for Mulroney denied any money was exchanged. But in 2003, Mulroney indirectly acknowledged he did receive money from Schreiber but as payment for his help in promoting Schreiber's pasta business.

Schreiber told The Fifth Estate that Mulroney did very little for the money.

"What had he done for the money?" Schreiber said. "Well, I learned to my great surprise that he worked with me on spaghetti."

Mulroney declined requests from The Fifth Estate to offer an explanation.

Schreiber is currently fighting extradition to Germany to face charges of fraud [related to an epic German campaign finance scandal].

The catch is that the Liberals already have candidates nominated for all of the Hamilton ridings. ADFW would probably be a better choice than Hamilton Centre, anyway, since Christopherson is pretty well-entrenched. I think that Hamilton Centre will be one of the safest NDP seats for a while. The Liberals won't take it without a good majority.

...or if the NDP sinks back to Audrey/Alexa levels.

Ah, I miss Tony Valeri
colonna.jpg

There is no evidence Mulroney knew where the money was coming from.

If someone left some cash like that in my bank account, I'd have some questions I'd like answered.

Tony Valeri was really unfairly maligned because of that whole Copps mess and, frankly, the way he looked. He actually was a very good MP, pleasant person, and competent minister. I think that the Italian-Canadian Liberal MPs made a mistake with their "Spaghetti Caucus" because it tied in some of their better MPs, like Valeri, with some of the more dubious, like Ianno and Volpe.

Hydrogen, you're absolutely right. But take it one more: it didn't appear in a bank account, it was handed to you in thousand dollar bills in a suitcase in a hotel room.

Back