News   Mar 28, 2024
 703     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 479     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 796     0 

Speculating about a new start at 1 Bloor East

whatever they build, i'm hoping they'll include some form of entertainment (e.g., movies, shopping, etc.) & restaurant (e.g., bars)

I hope the city buys the land and (as others have mentioned) holds a design contest. This site is too important for one developer to buy and design. Younge and Bloor deserves the best of the best.

The City buy the site? No. An experienced developer or consortium of developers would be ideal for this site with a design competition for something unique and iconic. Cinemas, retail, a few pubs, a subway entrance or hey, why not a connection to the Hudson Bay Concourse/Cumberland Terrace/Manulife Centre. Surely a connection could be made somewhere along that site under Bloor Street. Something in the 60's range should be doable.

This area needs apartments or condos to breathe some life into the area, it has plenty of retail and offices as is. It's now mostly dead at night when not a decade ago, it was such a lively and energized area.

The City buy the site? No. An experienced developer or consortium of developers would be ideal for this site with a design competition for something unique and iconic. Cinemas, retail, a few pubs, a subway entrance or hey, why not a connection to the Hudson Bay Concourse/Cumberland Terrace/Manulife Centre. Surely a connection could be made somewhere along that site under Bloor Street. Something in the 60's range should be doable.

The reason I say the city should buy it is to keep the design as open and unbiased as possible. If one devloper gets in there, then it's basicallty their way, and if we don't like it, too bad. I realize the city is not the most experienced in such matters. I'm not proposing that they build and develop the site, merely that they have the utmost control over how it is developed. At the end of the day, something spectacular should be at younge and bloor, not something average or scaled down.

This area needs apartments or condos to breathe some life into the area, it has plenty of retail and offices as is. It's now mostly dead at night when not a decade ago, it was such a lively and energized area.

You'd think it would be the opposite. With all the developments going up at younge and bloor the past few years, you'd think it would be busier and more lively now than it was 10 years ago.

I think the space would look fantastic if Toronto did something like (Better) then Young Dundas Square. Sure, build a parking lot below ground there. Toronto needs more parking... And bring stores like Top Shop, another Mangp, perhaps a Marks and Spensers? We could have fantastic cafe's, and gelaterias there too? Expand on Yorkville a little. Anyone know what this means to the other places Bazis is proposed to build?

Am I the only person who is kind of depressed about this loss to the city? I think we all were very excited and looking forward to construction. I mean I'm not getting out razorblades or hanging a noose or anything, but it's just sucky.

And for those of you who want to see another builder come in and design something? How can you possibly want Tridel? They build the most boring and predictable buildings. Sure they're reputable, but this corner needs more than reputable.

You'd think it would be the opposite. With all the developments going up at younge and bloor the past few years, you'd think it would be busier and more lively now than it was 10 years ago.

There's very little to attract people there at night anymore, so there's very few people on the street. That's why I suggested cinemas & pubs. Bring back nightlife and this area will come to life again.

Am I the only person who is kind of depressed about this loss to the city? I think we all were very excited and looking forward to construction. I mean I'm not getting out razorblades or hanging a noose or anything, but it's just sucky.

And for those of you who want to see another builder come in and design something? How can you possibly want Tridel? They build the most boring and predictable buildings. Sure they're reputable, but this corner needs more than reputable.

I'm disappointed too. I wasn't crazy beans about the latest design but I didn't dislike it either.

Tridel's buildings generally don't turn heads but they're a quality builder and if a design competition was held or a design panel assembled to tweak a proposal, I think Tridel would do a great job. Likely less to become a victim of Toronto's infamous, The Cheapeningâ„¢.

Yeah i guess it sucks, im just keeping my fingers crossed that Aura and the L-Tower dont follow the same faith and get the go-ahead soon.

Back