News   Apr 30, 2024
 166     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1K     1 

Spate of Pedestrian Deaths in GTA

If there is a fine, then every driver who steps out their car or walks on the street to get to the driver's door of a parked car on a street would have to be charged.

If they are crossing the street, then yes, they would be jaywalking.

If there is a fine, then every driver who steps out their car or walks on the street to get to the driver's door of a parked car on a street would have to be charged.

Does everything have to somehow come back to the evil car? There obviously is some leeway allowed for someone who is getting into their car.

Transporting alcohol containers is also illegal but just how do I get my 2-4 home form the Beer store then?

Since when was transporting alcohol containers illegal ... unless the bottle is open in the car?

Correction (I knew there was something) transporting open alcohol containers in the passenger compartment is illegal. Trunk is ok but trunk is still readily accesible from passenger compartments in many vehicles.

Put alcohol in the trunk just in case you get stopped, My friends and i got stopped during a ride check, we were on our way from the beer store to a party with the case of beer on the back seat, the officer made us put the beer in the trunk and then let us on our way.

Hit and run today at Blue Jays Way. Pedestrian killed. Unless the car jumped the curb and hit this fellow on the sidewalk, this is likely another case of a person walking into the road space, assuming traffic will give him the legal right of way and paying with his life. When I cross the road on foot I treat it the same as when I'm in traffic on my motorcycle, i.e. planning an escape route, while assuming that nobody sees you, that everyone is in a rush and distracted and that anyone will run you down, many will take off afterward, and you can't count of witnesses to help you medically or legally. I'm not kidding here, when I cross the street with my children I am constantly on the watch per above.

Given that it was a hit and run, it's shocking that you aren't placing any blame on the driver, and assuming that it is the fault of the victim - whose body isn't even cold yet.

Given that it was a hit and run, it's shocking that you aren't placing any blame on the driver, and assuming that it is the fault of the victim - whose body isn't even cold yet.
You misunderstand me, I almost always blame the driver. My point is, blame doesn't matter, this guy's dead because he stepped into the road and got hit by a car. Assuming the guy had right of way, it's the car driver's fault, more so since he took off afterward. What started the chain of events was the guy stepping into the road and likely assuming traffic wouldn't kill him. It's a dangerous assumption.

Again, it's not about fault. If I walk across at a green light, with ROW, but don't look to see the truck driver who is either distracted, or perhaps has faulty brakes, or has had a heart attack, etc. and drives through the red and hits me, does fault really matter?

... this guy's dead because he stepped into the road and got hit by a car.
Why are you saying this? Why are you blaming the victim of murder for his death? Why are you saying things that are not true?

The police are saying the guy was plowed down while standing on the sidewalk, and have started a murder investigation.

I find it very distasteful to be assigning blame to a dead person whose body isn't yet cold very distasteful, particularly when there is evidence it was the driver's fault. What if his family and friends are reading this?

Surely you should be waiting for the facts, rather than simply assuming the pedestrian is to blame for his own murder.

Fatal SUV hit-run 'deliberate'

A hit-and-run that left a young man dying on a downtown sidewalk early Saturday morning was deliberate, police said in an afternoon news release.

Vincent Dang, a 20-year-old Concord man, had been at Rockwood Club in Toronto's Entertainment District when "an altercation took place" inside the Mercer St. establishment and spilled onto the street, a Toronto Police news release said.

A man left the club in a dark grey, full-sized SUV "similar to a Suburban or Denali," police said. "The suspect vehicle drove eastbound on Wellington St. W,, before making a u-turn and then drove directly at the victim, who was with friends on the north sidewalk."

The driver — described as brown, 19 to 25, with a thin build, moustache, goatee and black jacket with stripes on the collar and sleeve — took off south on Blue Jays Way after striking Dang, police said.

"There were three-to-five people inside the suspect vehicle at the time," police said.

Kyle McNally was in his nearby condo when he heard "tires screech twice," he said at the scene.

He looked out his 26th-floor window to see the victim laying on the sidewalk and his friends "running around in circles." He grabbed his backpack, a towel and rubbing alcohol and ran to the scene.

"He was laying face down and you couldn't tell where the blood was coming from," McNally said. "His friends were saying, 'Breathe, breathe."

At first, the victim had five friends around him, but more soon arrived from north of the scene, McNally said.

"It was the guys from the club," McNally said the friends repeated about the occupants of the SUV. "It sounded like there was an altercation at the club."

While a friend held a toque to the victim's head, McNally applied pressure to his body with the towel, he said.

"His (torso) was all exposed," he said.

"All his friends were saying they (in the SUV) came up on the curb," McNally said. "It was just, 'The guys from before, the guys from the club.'"

What appeared to be a fresh tire mark was smeared on the curb, about six metres east from where the victim was thrown.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7400 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-8477, 222tips.com or by texting TOR and your tip to CRIMES.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/11/27/16342586.html

Definitely a change in the facts than originally reported. As Gabe's link suggests, this wasn't a hit and run at all, but a murder. Also, this was a case of car jumping sidewalk, not of a pedestrian entering the road space. Therefore my comments concerning pedestrian-car collisions above do not apply in this case. For the rest of us, hold hands and look both ways before crossing the street, and assume the drivers do not see you.

Back