News   Jul 26, 2024
 120     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 868     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 724     0 

Spadina Streetcar Track Repairs (TTC, U/C)

Just look at how long it took for the first Toronto Rocket articulated subway train to arrive, then to appear in the tunnels for testing, and then how long it took for the first to run in revenue service.

What do you mean, no it isn't. You have to train the vehicle engineering staff how to operate the thing don't you?

You were saying that it was a "chicken and egg" problem, when it isn't. And vehicle engineering staff don't need to know quite as much about the vehicle before getting into the drivers seat, as they are there not only to help debug the cars but also to help design the training program.

Would they even do that with the prototypes though? Wouldn't they wait until the production units start arriving in late 2013?

They might. It depends on how long it takes for the cars to be tested, modified, tested again and eventually accepted.

As far as I'm aware, the last prototype streetcar we had - ALRV car 4900 in 1982, was indeed tested not only with passengers, but also in revenue service during 1982/1983, long before revenue service started with the production units in 1988.

4900 was never a TTC car. It's sole purpose in life was to simple determine whether an articulated car was a worthwhile endeavour for UTDC/Can-Car, and whether it would be beneficial for the TTC. And it too underwent a ton of tests, before it was accepted and released for revenue service. The first production ALRV that followed also had to be thoroughly tested before being accepted, as they were very, very different beasts than 4900.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

4900 was never a TTC car. It's sole purpose in life was to simple determine whether an articulated car was a worthwhile endeavour for UTDC/Can-Car, and whether it would be beneficial for the TTC. And it too underwent a ton of tests, before it was accepted and released for revenue service. The first production ALRV that followed also had to be thoroughly tested before being accepted, as they were very, very different beasts than 4900.
So presumably if Bombardier was in favour of some in-revenue testing of a prototype, it might happen ...

So presumably if Bombardier was in favour of some in-revenue testing of a prototype, it might happen ...

Only after the TTC accepted the vehicle. That's the caveat.

They don't have to own it to accept it, but it needs to be tested to ensure that it will work on the system.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

So they're ripping up the tracks real good!

They're doing the Spadina/Adelaide interesction right now and they seem to be doing Spadina from Richmond south.

Pretty slow going I guess since it's tought to jackhammer through all that concrete.

photo%25203.JPG

photo%25202.JPG

photo%25201.JPG

The first night I was here, did some night time shooting and noticed a tram line being built next to the Berlin Central station. What I saw required me to go back in daylight to do some shooting as well confirm what I was seeing in the dark.

The rails are T rail in 60' section with special grove rail at crossing, curves and switches that are deeper than the T rail with a bent up plate at the bottom to join the T rail.

The sleepers are rebar with concrete pads at the end to anchor the rail down. The video will show part of the construction.

From what I saw in the finish section that a post was place about every 10' in the centre of the rail to hold the rail in place during the pouring of about 1' of concrete slab on dirt to anchor the sleepers in place. The rails are not splice at all at this point.

When I went back a day later, a crew was placing the sleepers into position and can be seen in the video. The rail at the splice point have a clamp to hold the rail in position during the pouring of the concrete. Every 2nd sleeper has adjustment bolt to level it and the rail at the right elevation before the concrete is pour.

I noticed on the various sections where concrete was pour and the rails were not splice the last time I saw it, they were splice now and only at the special rail section. The rest still waiting splicing.

This line is expected to open in 2015 as loop line and looks like M6 extension.

There are a few other lines being built along with U-Bahn. A lot of infrastructure is being rebuilt with new stations, as its slow going in many areas that not seeing construction.

The section in the video as well another section will be pour on Monday, as they were doing the forming on Sat.

Another way of doing rail construction. I have photos of the whole area, but they will not be on line until I get home and 8,000's in front of them. .
[video=youtube;PyDfvMyAfJ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyDfvMyAfJ8[/video]

Last edited:
So they're ripping up the tracks real good!

They're doing the Spadina/Adelaide interesction right now and they seem to be doing Spadina from Richmond south.

Pretty slow going I guess since it's tought to jackhammer through all that concrete.

The track work on McCaul also seems to be pretty major as well - there's a deep trench down the middle of the street at the moment.

Too bad they couldn't have buried the streetcar route while they were at it.

Why is that??

Over here in Europe, they are the main mode of transit. Prague has lines running all over the place and traffic has no issue with them. They even have 3 subway lines.
[video=youtube;IgkiY0jU9fo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgkiY0jU9fo[/video]
[video=youtube;_XdlH2kEPuY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XdlH2kEPuY[/video]

Why is that??

Over here in Europe, they are the main mode of transit. Prague has lines running all over the place and traffic has no issue with them. They even have 3 subway lines.

I have never been to Prague (pitty) and have no idea what time of the day your vids were shot (thanks for those, very interesting seeing so many different vehicle types running on those tracks).....but I have to ask if traffic is always that light in Prague? (in the first video I think I counted 13 moving cars over the 159 seconds......so 1 every 13.25 seconds).....if traffic is that light, perhaps that is why "traffic has no issue with them".....thoughts?

Hey drum118 what are you doing in Europe? When are you coming back?

Doing research and fact finding. Also some long over due holiday.

I return on Aug 30.

As it stands now, there are videos on line for Glasgow, Edinburgh, London, Croyton, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Marseille, Nice, Milan, Rome, Zurich, Geneva, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Hamburg, Berlin and Prague on transit and rails as well urban. Vienna is next and finally Frankfurt. There maybe one on Vicenza, but one for sure on the people mover.

I have photos up to June 30th on line and doing July 1st now. 9,500 and counting yet to fix. Been in the mid 30's for sometime.

Prague is the best place so far for historical to the point you can't turn a corner and not see something better. There are 8 different types of trams I have seen so far and 2 similar subway trains.

Not sure why these new trains are not articulated as 5 cars section and a waste. The cars seat 38-40 and hold 220 standees each.

I have never been to Prague (pitty) and have no idea what time of the day your vids were shot (thanks for those, very interesting seeing so many different vehicle types running on those tracks).....but I have to ask if traffic is always that light in Prague? (in the first video I think I counted 13 moving cars over the 159 seconds......so 1 every 13.25 seconds).....if traffic is that light, perhaps that is why "traffic has no issue with them".....thoughts?
I have found traffic is light in most city centre and Prague is no different. I cannot speak to the outer parts, as some roads are 4 lanes with tracks in the centre either in its own ROW or mix traffic. I have spent next to no time out there other than at night and it was real light. One of the last video I shot tonight and on line will show that.

Videos shot at various time of the day. Very rare to not see non pack trams during the day even on the articulated ones. They need more articulated lowfloor cars to deal with ridership.

Ran into a mass transit inspection at 8:30 pm tonight on the Red line and a number were asked please come with us. Cost 600 euros for not having transit pass. Would say at least 20+ police and transit inspectors handing out tickets or come with us to our room.

Back