Southcore Financial Ctr: PricewaterhouseCoopers Tower (18 York St, bcIMC, 26s, KPMB)

This thread doesn't seem very active. Anyways, pics from yesterday.

18-york-20100703-1_1278291006.jpg

18-york-20100703-3_1278291025.jpg

18-york-20100703-4_1278291042.jpg

I think this thread remains relatively inactive because this building is quite bland, and is living up to its equally bland renderings. Having said that, 18 York is a welcome addition to this city and particularly to this intersection. Of all the streets downtown, I think Bremner will have undergone the most drastic makeover. It will be bustling with energy in a few years.

I'm always puzzled by people who post and bash a project based on it's appearance or architectural design but then praise it in the next sentence. Just seems weird to me....

I don't know how anyone can call this bland. I'm by no means a glass expert but, this is some of the nicest I've seen in this city to date. You can't get any better without doubling the skin.

Oh it's beautiful glass. Absolutely. But it's bland. I imagine the details of this one will be what really pulls it together though :)

I have a feeling this building should look quite pleasing sitting beside the Telus building when it is finished. In a few years the Ice towers should fill in here nicely also imroving the overall vsuals.
However I sadly doubt the street level will ever improve above anything more than a busy throughfare for commuters. Heavy vehicle congestion appears to be almost planned here.

I'm always puzzled by people who post and bash a project based on it's appearance or architectural design but then praise it in the next sentence. Just seems weird to me....

Let me try to clarify. I do think that the building is bland, or should I say, simple. It is a box and has little architectural flourishes and and craftsman-like details and the colour of the glass is very typical in Toronto. Not all buildings have to be Gehrys, especially office towers, but those buildings are bonuses. 18 York is not an ugly building. I think it is average. I praise 18 York (in the second sentence) more for what it will bring to the intersection: density, activity, new sidewalks, trees, etc. Those good things have nothing to do with its design.

Taken on my walk to work. You can see the cloud of dust rising from the digging at Ice.

4790219444_840095a712_b.jpg

and another...

4789587095_e834e0917a_b.jpg

Interesting to see this modern high-tech new city be constructed around an ancient railway network with no electrification...

Back