Southcore Financial Ctr: PricewaterhouseCoopers Tower (18 York St, bcIMC, 26s, KPMB)

This was also never designed to be a starchitecture building - though it would have been nice if the original rendering had been accurate. The Cheapening, yes. It was never going to be something to define the skyline a la BAC or Trump. Plus if ICE 1/2 turn out as they're expected to, this would have had to look pretty damn amazing to even get noticed

RBC Dexia isn't starchitecture but its still interesting to look at. No reason this couldn't be the same.

Well, as KPF's maiden project in Toronto, the RBC Dexia/Ritz-Carlton ensemble does qualify as quasi-starchitecture...

You are missing my point.

Some posters are disappointed by the evident shape of the building. There are claims that it is boring. Regardless, the building is going up, and it will never by a jagged crystal or architectural dildo. It will be what is being built. Even if it were something other than a rectangular structure, some people would find fault.

In the end, to each his own, but I agree that it represents jobs and business downtown. I like the clean lines and glass. Call me boring.

Boring.

Now that that's over - of course some people are disappointed. And then you have those that aren't. Not a very captivating summation for what is admittedly a virtually benign circumstance.

Shall we let the exchange of opinions and ideas continue? It is a forum, after all. And in the collegial spirit of forums, I'll firmly agree with you that investment in downtowns is a good sign, while adamantly maintaining that something more could have been done for the form.

Shall we let the exchange of opinions and ideas continue? It is a forum, after all. And in the collegial spirit of forums

Nowhere did I suggest stopping any exchange of ideas. I stated a point of view. It's unfortunate you saw a threat in my remark.

After a while, the repetitive complaints about buildings not being exciting enough - or too boring - itself gets a little boring. There is nothing inherently wrong with this project.

So far, I find 18 York to have the best looking glass amongst the 3 other office towers built recently (RBC, BAC, Union Tower).

Seems to be progrssing quickly...when is the building expected to be up and running/occupied?

So far, I find 18 York to have the best looking glass amongst the 3 other office towers built recently (RBC, BAC, Union Tower).

Funny to me it's the opposite ... Telus / BA / 18 York < there's no rationale behind that though i.e. just my opinion :)

But I do like the contrast i.e. if 18 York looked like Telus that wouldn't be a good thing (glass wise).

Can we get over the issue that this building isn't some act of starchitecture?

This was the quote I was chiefly referring to.

That's not so much a point of view you're articulating as it is a request for people to stop expressing discontent with the architecture. I like that you're enthusiastic about the project, though. I'm not sad that it's going up either.

Since I was the individual who composed that particular phrase, allow me to indicate to you that it most definitely was point of view articulated as a question. I highly doubt that you or anyone else will otherwise refrain from commenting on this particular building based solely on my opinion.

Read through some of the threads on this forum. At times, there can be a little too much architecture envy. Not every building has to be a stand-out. For those who might find this example boring, they can always focus their attention across the street to Ice - mit the umlaut. The design of that building might satisfy some, but I'm sure others will continue to see their particular tastes disappointed.

Otherwise, I am happy to see this once desolate part of downtown coming to life.

Not every building has to be a standout. But it doesn't have to be forgettable either. It can still have some less dramatic features to allow it to standout at the neighbourhood level.

Funny to me it's the opposite ... Telus / BA / 18 York < there's no rationale behind that though i.e. just my opinion :)

But I do like the contrast i.e. if 18 York looked like Telus that wouldn't be a good thing (glass wise).

I also like the contrast between 18 York and Telus, which I think has the second best glass and the best looking overall of these office towers. Together they will make a fine gateway into the City once 18 York is done (with the vertical fins) for those heading north up York Street, on foot or in their car.

Ramako, I was just about to make the exact same post.

The buildng has lost much of its limited asthetic appeal and I too am disappointed. I quite liked the contrasts in cladding.

Same here. Beauty is often in the details, and they're not paying attention to the details.

Pics were taken yesterday evening. Sorry about the poor quality

18-york-20100625-2_1277564094.jpg

18-york-20100625-3_1277564098.jpg

18-york-20100625-4_1277564106.jpg

18-york-20100625-5_1277564111.jpg

Back