Southcore Financial Ctr: PricewaterhouseCoopers Tower (18 York St, bcIMC, 26s, KPMB)

Taken on my way to work this morning. Working on the next level.

4206475740_c3da5698be_b.jpg

Jan 16-10

IMG_jan-16-10-0242.jpg

IMG_jan-16-10-0239.jpg

IMG_jan-16-10-0228.jpg

It strange that this building has a blast wall while Union/Telus building doesn't.
IMG_jan-16-10-0229.jpg

Looks like the tracks curve right in behind the site, so maybe that's why? It's not like you'd really have to even think about a train derailing on a straight and level section of track, would you?

is there any plan for bridge connection between telus building and 18 yonge?

I think I remember reading about a surface connection. Actually, above the surface because it'll be attached to the bridge over York St. It must have been discussed in the Telus thread.

In my opinion it's too bad the condos and the office buildings in this part of town didn't switch places. I mean the city views for most of MLS and Ice are gone before they are even occupied or built!

For some strange reason the sales pitch and marketing for condos south of the Gardiner is all about "Lake" or "Water" views. I say one word about that... BORING! It's Lake Ontario, not the South Atlantic off the coast of Rio de Janeiro. It's flat, it's boring, it has no amazing landscape features, no stretch of white sands, no glamorous cruise ships arriving and departing. ZZzzzzzzzzzz

This is a city... I want to see tall buildings and busy street life. Let's face it, Toronto is lacking in the fascinating geographical features department: No mountains to scale, no wide rivers to bridge and a fairly flat terrain, so what makes it interesting IS the city.

I know all the buyers at City Place and the like, will respond with all the myriad of reasons why their view is tranquil and relaxing, but I guarantee one thing: When they have visitors to their units, the first thing they go for is the window facing the city. If they don't have a piece of the city in their view, you will see the slight disappointment on their faces. Want proof? Go up the CN Tower and see how many people are on the south side of the observation level.

So when I saw the design for Ice and the 16 York office component, as well as 18 York behind it, I was disappointed yet again. The designers of these condos must hail from Miami, where the Ocean is way better to look at than the rest of that city.

I can't believe architects continue to design these bland square glass buildings. Why doesn't council members demand more creativity? Disappointing.

Back