Southcore Financial Ctr: PricewaterhouseCoopers Tower (18 York St, bcIMC, 26s, KPMB)

crazy how this whole area has completely changed in the last 2-3 years. i still remember exiting the ACC to a clear, unobstructed/empty view of the CN tower. i wonder what most people think when they see this brand new area. mind blowing fo real!

Some may not agree, but I think this is one of the best areas to invest in the city. I have done just that.

Yes. That's the problem. One of the best areas to invest in the city is making it one of the worst areas to live in the city. Building an investment portfolio is in direct conflict with building a community. Any larger, affordable condo units or community amenities here? Any room for kids in this 'best area to invest?'

Last edited:
Yes. That's the problem right there. One of the best areas to invest in the city is making it one of the worst areas to live in the city. Building an investment portfolio is not the same as building a community, with larger, affordable condo units and community amenities, for example. How many kids do you think will be living here?

Thats why the good lord made suburbs full of track housing. You want large and affordable.....Markham baby!!!
This is not Brandon, this is a massive urban area ,.... and you want Petco funland and McDonalds with a playgroud, right in the center of it all???? Seriously , large urban centers don't need kids to be vital, and there are plenty of families around the world, that live in small, vertical buildings .
This area is doing the right thing, cater to the banking. business, and tourist markets, since its in the CBD of one of the largest , up and coming markets/economies anywhere.
Given the vision of the former railway lands, and all the arm chair QB's out there, it would be interesting to hear what "they woulda built"??
Hotels, towers and condos, makes sense to me???

Easily half the armchair quarterbacks around here would envision some gross representation of the Dubai Marina or what they believe New York City or Chicago represents. Toronto easily holds up to or outright outclasses New York and Chicago with buildings above 350 units. What we severely lack are the human scaled, thoroughly urban developments with 100 or less units.

it wouldn't surpirse me in the slightest if half the armchair quarterbacks live at home with some wanting desire to topple Chicago in number of 500 footers without ever stepping foot in one of these investor owned rental hotels

Last edited:
Thats why the good lord made suburbs full of track housing. You want large and affordable.....Markham baby!!!
This is not Brandon, this is a massive urban area ,.... and you want Petco funland and McDonalds with a playgroud, right in the center of it all???? Seriously , large urban centers don't need kids to be vital, and there are plenty of families around the world, that live in small, vertical buildings .
This area is doing the right thing, cater to the banking. business, and tourist markets, since its in the CBD of one of the largest , up and coming markets/economies anywhere.
Given the vision of the former railway lands, and all the arm chair QB's out there, it would be interesting to hear what "they woulda built"??

Its funny but every single sentence of this post is incorrect. I think this is a record.

Toronto easily holds up to or outright outclasses New York and Chicago with buildings above 350 units. What we severely lack are the human scaled, thoroughly urban developments with 100 or less units.

I totally agree. I wish that we would see more of these.

Smaller developments like these are really what builds up a city's vitality.

Feb 18 with more photos on my flickr site.
From the looks of things, the extension is not going to be as high as the render. They have put the roof decking on it now.
5457324114_43745c40c0_b.jpg

5457316912_93a8fed1a6_b.jpg

5457315954_f1ff2c43ac_b.jpg

5457314190_c389b3d3c8_b.jpg

Took this shot at 7:30am on my way to a meeting, as I was not sure what the weather was going to be after my meeting at noon.

5456699675_461c215503_b.jpg

What an idiotic post. If you were trying to be ironic, you've failed.

If you believe that a city should be child-free, then you are invoking some peculiar anti-city thinking. You would also appear to believe that a city should not have an established populace, but should composed merely of a transitory population wherein people have no choice but to move to the suburbs to have a family. This is, of course, an idiotic approach to city building and a recipe for perpetuating bad planning decisions.

So maybe you just hate children, or hate the idea of other people having kids, but that isn't a remotely reasonable pretext for building or sustaining a city. Add to that, cities are about people, not banks, hotels, storefronts and tourist markets. The downtown isn't merely a location, it must be a living place that is diverse in terms of the people who can live there. That includes families with children.

^^ 100%. Unfortunately, investors always are opposed to people wherever / whenever they get in the way of profits. Isn't that right, Condo George?

Thanks for all your pics, drum118.

Last edited:
I neither have nor want children - in fact, I'm not even terribly fond of them, as a rule - but this is a profoundly boneheaded comment.

Perhaps urban centers is to vague , I was referring to the financial business districts, (Wall St, Bay st..etc), of which southcore is becoming an extension of. You dont need playgrounds in these areas, Southcore should be the new Front st, and that all I meant.:rolleyes:

Now back on topic: this PWC building is the most boring building built in the downtown core in the past decade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jets, regardless of your ideas or content of yours posts, your consistent use of ellipses and general lack of grammar make me take you less seriously.

Now back on topic: this PWC building is the most boring building built in the downtown core in the past decade.

He writes like ssiguy in one long unreadable paragraph. So I skip over those types of posts.

Back