Southcore Financial Ctr: PricewaterhouseCoopers Tower (18 York St, bcIMC, 26s, KPMB)

Canada is a relatively small nation with relatively small tenants. 50 storeys is huge task to sell here especially compared to the behemoth living to our south. The site may never get filled in your lifetime with a minimum requirement of that stature. This isn't King & Bay where a lead tenant may compromise by sharing with other lead tenants either.

And so is the United Arab Emirates, Panama is even smaller
I tend to disagree with you, yes Canada is a relatively small nation with relatively small tenants. but that shouldnt stop us from attracting foreign companys, and really what is Canadian nowadays. Being in a 500 mile radius of over 150 million people makes Toronto a top 10 world player and there is no reason that we can not attract international companys from setting shop here.

I think they should have put a huge ass shopping mall in this area instead, for all the nearby residents.. more office space doesnt amount to much for residents. Just more commuters in suits to the area.

offices should be kept to other side of wellington in my opinon. why throw in 1 or 2 office buildings admist so many residential developments?

I think they should have put a huge ass shopping mall in this area instead, for all the nearby residents.. more office space doesnt amount to much for residents. Just more commuters in suits to the area.

offices should be kept to other side of wellington in my opinon. why throw in 1 or 2 office buildings admist so many residential developments?

An area needs a variety of uses to maintain vibrancy throughout the day, which (among many reasons) adds safety and supports a wider variety of commercial retail uses as well. Adding office towers would support additional shopping, as its adds more people to the area who could shop during the day.

Shopping malls are typically low density and would be a poor choice for land use here and in addition would be difficult to financially maintain due to high land costs.

Adding offices to this area and the fact that it is so close to transit is a very good thing.

Saying a taller building costs more to build is a statement of fact, not a statement of opinion. That's why your comment did not make sense.

Maybe I should have rephrased my original statement. Taller buildings become less profitable the higher you build. I think I read somewhere or heard from one of my old professors that once a building gets to about 90 or so floors, it barely breaks even (construction, maintenance, leasable floor area, vacancy rate vs. revenues in rent).

Of course you mentioned only "56" storeys for this site, but it does have it's challenges. I first mentioned skinny because I thought the site was relatively small due to land constraints between the rail the corridor and Bremner. Therefore to get a 56 storey buildng with the same leasable floor area as Telus and 18 York combined, it would have to be a skinny building. There are more forces acting against a building that is 56 storeys than a 30 storey building such as wind and loads. This will require deeper foundations and materials that can handle the structural requirements to offset these forces. There's also the rail corridor with the hundreds of trains that go by everyday causing vibrations that would have to be addressed, again through structural engineering and materials. The loss of revenue due to extra elevators required, as nstuch mentioned, is another loss.

But, I'm not going to debate this anymore. You're of the opinion a 56 storey building and a parking lot (if not a vacant, fenced off dirt field) is better; and I feel a 30 and 26 storey building that both provide quality streetscaping and are more appropriately scaled for these locations are better. To each his own, just don't twist my words around. And for the record, I love tall buildings, but in the right location.

There was no word twisting at play, you got my interpretation of your post, plain and simple.

And yes you did hit it on the nail, I feel we should be building higher here (whatever that involves), 30 and 26 stories isn't an optimal use of land.

And so is the United Arab Emirates, Panama is even smaller

You're kidding, right? Please, how can you possibly compare the developing world to the developed?

Being in a 500 mile radius of over 150 million people makes Toronto a top 10 world player and there is no reason that we can not attract international companys from setting shop here.

Why would anyone choose Toronto over New York or, for that matter, a dozen other American cities?

Last edited:
Don Schmitt was quoted in an article in the the Sick Kids Hospital Research thread saying that construction prices are leveling out.

Don Schmitt was quoted in an article in the the Sick Kids Hospital Research thread saying that construction prices are leveling out.

Concrete and steel prices have started to drop. Land is still holding (which is very key in terms of project costs). Concrete forming contracts are still fairly level (i.e. too high) and other trades are only now just starting to get a bit more aggressive.

I've seen plently of condos and hotels situated above shopping malls (not to mention offices). It makes perfect sense, and its still high density.

Here's an example. http://www.mulialand.com/prop/retail/taman.html

Toronto vision is short sited.

If not building your example is short sighted (FTFY), I'd be happy if Toronto were to keep its glasses off.

Besides, the PATH is about 25km of shopping mall. It's everywhere downtown.

Last edited:
If not building your example is short sighted (FTFY), I'd be happy if Toronto were to keep its glasses off.

Besides, the PATH is about 25km of shopping mall. It's everywhere downtown.

Do people really want to walk 25 km to get from one store to another. The PATH is not really a mall, its more of a 'path' to get to where your going.

Malls these days are social gathering places and tourist spots. And with all the new residential buildings in the area, I'm sure toronto can support another big mall.

Nebakaneezer, I think the idea of having such dense living atop a mall is a good one, though I'd be more inclined to see that as an option for Mississauga City Centre or Scarborough City Centre. I'd be opposed to it for downtown Toronto. More than the PATH, all of downtown Toronto is one big shopping place, from the furniture stores along King, to the huge variety along Queen, and the scattering of malls around that already exist.

Nebakenezer:

Considering MLS at the corner is basically two residential towers sitting on a hotel/office/mall - I don't know what the fuzz is all about.

AoD

PS: That's not to mention the scheme which will see the Union Station turned into a large mall either.

Last edited:

Back