News   Apr 24, 2024
 963     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 623     0 

So, what's wrong with this Pepsi ad?

King Jr's daughter's post may have played well to her audience, but for the most part it increased awareness of an ad that is more positively viewed than we initially were led to believe.

Yeah, although a quick Google search shows that Morning Consult used the same focus group demos, representing demos that reflect the U.S. population at large rather than Pepsi target demos, which got Pepsi into trouble in the first place. Not to mention Morning Consult's focus groups didn't like seem a woman in a hajib, but then brightened up when they saw the riot police, so there's that.

In any event, my comments were not premised on focus groups. And MLK's daughter's comments didn't just play well to her audience (again I don't give a crap about focus groups), but were dead on given the legacy of her father.

I'm not sure people in the ad industry would agree with your assessment that any news short of pedophilia is good news.
United Airlines will be a good test. Does their new notoriety and huge increase in brand awareness followed by an eventual mea culpa help the company.

As for Pepsico, they've done just fine since that ad ran.

file.png

http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=PEP

Last edited:
United Airlines will be a good test. Does their new notoriety and huge increase in brand awareness followed by an eventual mea culpa help the company.

As for Pepsico, they've done just fine since that ad ran.

file.png

http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=PEP

Stock price? Seriously? And comparing it to United? I don't think you've understood the comments people have made here on this thread at all.

I don't think you've understood the comments people have made here on this thread at all.
Which comments? Ignoring those posts opening with rhetorical questions (a good rule to live by, IMO), I see a good discussion where ideas and positions were exchanged.

The alternative is to agree that Pepsi screwed up badly, that everyone involved in social activism and promotion of inclusiveness should be offended, that their product is crap regardless, and Jenner's terrible too. But why not peel the onion a little, are these really truths that must be embraced, otherwise you're a bad guy?

Putting aside rhetorical questioning, what's wrong with using short term stock price as an indicator of the market reaction? PepsiCo as a company is on a tear, you'd think if they'd truly offended everyone their stock would drop..... like United Airlines' stock dropped after their PR disaster.

Last edited:
Putting aside rhetorical questioning, what's wrong with using short term stock price as an indicator of the market reaction? PepsiCo as a company is on a tear, you'd think if they'd truly offended everyone their stock would drop..... like United Airlines' stock dropped after their PR disaster.

You're completely missing the point. Nobody here was talking about market reaction.

How's this ad any worse or offensive than anything else?

The saying goes, no such thing as bad publicity. I was thinking that when I deliberately searched youtube for the ad, and watched the thing.
I don't have a TV, haven't for over half a decade, really don't miss it, so I heard all the hoopla about this ad, and watched it on-line. My initial impression? Huh? Stupid ad, like almost all of them. (Some ads are brilliant, they are few and far between. Some, like the Newfoundland and Labrador ones, are stunning and transfixing).

I find the pious outrage of some curious, since TV itself, commercial TV anyway, is such an affront altogether to social and intellectual dignity. I also find it beyond curious that some now so outraged on this ad have misread and reacted so negatively to points I've made in the past, or even questions asked.

Speaking of 'safe places' and 'snowflakes'...

You're completely missing the point. Nobody here was talking about market reaction.
In your estimation, perhaps. But that's The Admiral's point on naval (sic) gazing.

Here's the latest I can find on Pespi's stock rating:

PepsiCo Stock: What Analysts Say ahead of 1Q17 Results
By Sharon Bailey | Apr 21, 2017 12:59 pm EDT
Analysts’ ratings
As of April 19, 73.0% or 16 out of 22 analysts have a “buy” rating for PepsiCo’s (PEP) stock. Six analysts have a “hold” rating for PepsiCo. None of the analysts currently have a “sell” recommendation. On April 12, Susquehanna raised its rating for PepsiCo stock to “positive” from “neutral”. Susquehanna also raised its price target for PepsiCo stock to $132 from $118.
[...]
http://marketrealist.com/2017/04/pepsico-stock-analysts-rate-prior-1q17-results/

Getting back to "Bear" (sic) Naked Ladies...
[...]
Sales of The Yellow Tape were jump-started when the band was taken off the bill for the 1991 New Year's Eve concert in Nathan Phillips Square outside Toronto City Hall because a staffer for then-mayor June Rowlands saw the band's name and felt it objectified women;[12] the decision was further affirmed by city councillor Chris Korwin-Kuczynski.[13] The band shrugged it off and booked another show at McMaster University.[4] However, the media got wind of the story and decided to write about it as an example of political correctness gone too far. The first article earned the paper a large quantity of mail against City Hall's decision. The story became more and more prominent until about a week after New Years, when the band was asked to take a photo in front of City Hall for the front page of the Toronto Star. The stories targeted Rowlands even though she had not been directly involved in the decision to remove the band from the concert, but in fact had been out of town at the time. The following week, sales of the Yellow Tape exploded — by February 1992, it was outselling even Michael Jackson's Dangerous, Genesis' We Can't Dance and U2's Achtung Baby in some downtown Toronto record stores.[14] They received enough publicity from the incident that MuchMusic offered them its second-ever Intimate and Interactive special on January 17.[15] The tape eventually became the first ever indie release to achieve platinum status (100,000 copies) in Canada.[3]
[...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barenaked_Ladies

I'm just outraged! Outraged and shocked I tell you!

Last edited:
I don't have a TV, haven't for over half a decade, really don't miss it, so I heard all the hoopla about this ad, and watched it on-line. My initial impression? Huh? Stupid ad, like almost all of them. (Some ads are brilliant, they are few and far between. Some, like the Newfoundland and Labrador ones, are stunning and transfixing).

I find the pious outrage of some curious, since TV itself, commercial TV anyway, is such an affront altogether to social and intellectual dignity. I also find it beyond curious that some now so outraged on this ad have misread and reacted so negatively to points I've made in the past, or even questions asked.

Speaking of 'safe places' and 'snowflakes'...

In your estimation, perhaps. But that's The Admiral's point on naval (sic) gazing.

Here's the latest I can find on Pespi's stock rating:

PepsiCo Stock: What Analysts Say ahead of 1Q17 Results
By Sharon Bailey | Apr 21, 2017 12:59 pm EDT
Analysts’ ratings
As of April 19, 73.0% or 16 out of 22 analysts have a “buy” rating for PepsiCo’s (PEP) stock. Six analysts have a “hold” rating for PepsiCo. None of the analysts currently have a “sell” recommendation. On April 12, Susquehanna raised its rating for PepsiCo stock to “positive” from “neutral”. Susquehanna also raised its price target for PepsiCo stock to $132 from $118.
[...]
http://marketrealist.com/2017/04/pepsico-stock-analysts-rate-prior-1q17-results/

Getting back to "Bear" (sic) Naked Ladies...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barenaked_Ladies

I'm just outraged! Outraged and shocked I tell you!
Interesting. Reminds me of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect Where if you complain about something you inadvertently give it more public attention.

Martin Luther King's daughter may be the best celebrity/icon to speak about the Pepsi brand, exposing the product to her many followers, where her "power of #Pepsi." has been shared over 160,000 times.

Last edited:

Back