297     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 619     0 

So, what's wrong with this Pepsi ad?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

How's this ad any worse or offensive than anything else?

The saying goes, no such thing as bad publicity. I was thinking that when I deliberately searched youtube for the ad, and watched the thing.

Not just trivializing the protests, but also all the people and social issues around them. Also it's in bad taste (pun intended) for Pepsi to try to make money off those social issues. I'm not sure offensive is the right word though. Certainly not on the same level as say a senator trying to defend a residential school system that did so much harm to aboriginal communities. It's just part sad, and part laughable just how out of touch Pepsi, and likely much of the corporate world is with the people they're trying to sell products too.

It's a cheap and stupid ad, but I think people might be having unrealistic expectations of "good corporate behaviour" from a product that had been party to wrecking lives through obesity.

AoD

The ad is so tone deaf. I think Martin Luther King Jr.'s daughter said it best, when she tweeted a photo of her dad being pushed by police officers and said "if only Daddy would have known about the power of #Pepsi."

More like - here is an ad for sugary drink tailored to your market demographic that will surely do wonders for those with predisposition to Type II diabetes - and we are going to use your grievances to sell it by adding a healthy dose of Dances with the Wolves/Last Samurai/Avatar-esque imagery.

It is just so dumb.

AoD

Sure, but no more than....

C'mon, AB. Seriously? Don't you have any sense of context? The issue with the Pepsi ad is that with all that has been happening lately with BLM protests, not to mention communities in the U.S. feeling under siege given the new political climate down south, trivializing their protests to suggest it can all be solved by a supermodel and a Pepsi is the issue. The Absolut ad is 10 years old, and if anything is a call for non-violence (pillows over trunchons). The other ad doesn't even feature protesters, but rather rioting lads/soccer hooligans. Googling ads with protesters isn't really a particularly strong line of argument. But even if either of them was particularly relevant, I'm still not sure what point it would serve - I can find a couple of other shitty ads, so this new one is less glaringly tone-deaf? Yeah, not the strongest argument.

I'm not sure you're getting the point. Which is fine. Nobody is saying that you have to stop liking the Kardashians or Pepsi.

C'mon, AB. Seriously? Don't you have any sense of context? The issue with the Pepsi ad is that with all that has been happening lately with BLM protests, not to mention communities in the U.S. feeling under siege given the new political climate down south, trivializing their protests to suggest it can all be solved by a supermodel and a Pepsi is the issue.
Sure, and I see your point. However if mimicking SJW protests and using a semi-supermodel gets your brand millions of hits and huge media attention, well, isn't that the issue? With notable exceptions (i.e. Garet and Subway), if people are speaking about your brand, it's all good.

I haven't thought of the Pepsi brand in years, and now it's on my mind. When I see it in the supermarket, I'll remember the faux outrage and my inner cynic may push me to make the purchase.

SJW protests

I had to temporarily stop reading when you used the phrase "SJW protests" - hard to continue given the *eyeroll*. And "faux outrage" - really?

I'm not sure people in the ad industry would agree with your assessment that any news short of pedophilia is good news. If this ad targeted at millennials simply convinces an older guy who uses the phrase "SJW protests" to now buy Pepsi because of his inner cynic, this is a big fail for them.

Last edited:
I had to temporarily stop reading when you used the phrase "SJW protests"
But they are mimicking the SJW protest, not the BLM variety. There were no riot cops, no identifiable cause or cohesive group, no overzealous cops or obstructionist protesters. Pepsi basically took all the SJW cliches and through them together.

As for this unintended massive increase in brand exposure, Pepsi sales will show if it worked, we'll have to look for the annual report, assuming it breaks it out by brand, like this older chart below. Both brands are in negative positions, so I can see why they tried something different.

main-qimg-90a3458b41e4b733ec63f6f02b20c305

The ad is so tone deaf. I think Martin Luther King Jr.'s daughter said it best, when she tweeted a photo of her dad being pushed by police officers and said "if only Daddy would have known about the power of #Pepsi."
King Jr's daughter's post may have played well to her audience, but for the most part it increased awareness of an ad that is more positively viewed than we initially were led to believe.

pepsi-desktop-2.png

I'm not sure people in the ad industry would agree with your assessment that any news short of pedophilia is good news. If this ad targeted at millennials simply convinces an older guy who uses the phrase "SJW protests" to now buy Pepsi because of his inner cynic, this is a big fail for them.

You seem to be equating young with left wing. They aren't synonymous.

Back