News   Apr 18, 2024
 153     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 359     0 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

The difference between Smartracks and GO is that, at least as things stand now, people will take ST. It all comes down to accessibility and right now GO is simply not an option for millions because it's just too damn expensive.
Until GO becomes the same fare as every other transit fare, it will be nothing more that a lot more trains rolling by that most transit people won't be able to take advantage of..............truly a two-tiered transit system.

The difference between Smartracks and GO is that, at least as things stand now, people will take ST. It all comes down to accessibility and right now GO is simply not an option for millions because it's just too damn expensive.
Until GO becomes the same fare as every other transit fare, it will be nothing more that a lot more trains rolling by that most transit people won't be able to take advantage of..............truly a two-tiered transit system.
don't see anywhere it says SmartTrack will be TTC fare?

iirc, most TTC users have access to a car. If you can afford a car, you can afford GO.

Here are the renderings.

Finch-Kennedy

1629217028314.png

East Harbour

1629217050458.png

King-Liberty

1629217084479.png

Bloor-Lansdowne. I thought this entrance was to be integrated with a building.

1629217125969.png

St Clair-Old Weston

1629217164283.png

Attachments

• 1629215894663.png
    1629215894663.png
    472.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 1629217050673.png
    1629217050673.png
    503.2 KB · Views: 109
Here are the renderings.

Finch-Kennedy

View attachment 342111

On the subject of the Finch Station, I find it curious that the sidewalks and shown dipping to same level as the road.

People and cyclists do not require the same clearance as a truck.

To me it would make more sense to keep the sidewalk and any bike lane above the road-grade.

Here are the renderings.

Finch-Kennedy

View attachment 342111

East Harbour

View attachment 342112

King-Liberty

View attachment 342114

View attachment 342116

St Clair-Old Weston

View attachment 342117
We can dream that these will be anything near the final product, but King-Liberty and East Harbour have the potential to be some truly Modern and beautiful train stations. They also have the potential to offer a much nicer experience than the mess that is union. I wonder if the Exhibition rebuild will turnout similar to the King-Liberty rendering.

Here are the renderings.

Finch-Kennedy

View attachment 342111

East Harbour

View attachment 342112

King-Liberty

View attachment 342114

View attachment 342116

St Clair-Old Weston

View attachment 342117
I'm trying to figure out the perspective of King Liberty, as the render doesn't seem to show any room for the Barrie Line tracks. Honestly, I still don't get why not just add a 3rd platform to serve Barrie Line trains. While for time reasons it might not make sense to run all Barrie line trains to King-Liberty, doing something like what Sydney does and have half of the Kitchener and Barrie Line trains serve King-Liberty, then have the other half serve an expanded Front-Spadina Station makes a lot more sense.

Edit: Looking more carefully, it looks like this is facing south, and there does seem to 2 additional tracks next to the street hidden by the canopy. However I still hold on the point that stations selectively serving specific lines does not make sense.

Last edited:
On the subject of the Finch Station, I find it curious that the sidewalks and shown dipping to same level as the road.

People and cyclists do not require the same clearance as a truck.

To me it would make more sense to keep the sidewalk and any bike lane above the road-grade.
Perhaps bus stops are be placed in front of the entrances, so everything will have to be at the same level.

Perhaps bus stops are be placed in front of the entrances, so everything will have to be at the same level.

Certainly that's what the renders seem to indicate.

Why the entrance couldn't be just a bit to the east/west (before the road dips) is beyond me.

So is the ST line going to be treated like a surface subway line with standard TTC fare as originally promised?

All depends on how GO-RER aka Go Expansion turns out.

Not a TTC fare per say, but if youve already paid for that fare zone on TTC, you wont pay anything more, or vice versa. Its more complicated, as the whole fare structuring of TTC/GO etc will change.

Back