News   Apr 17, 2024
 626     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 305     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

Some very good posts, and considered discussion. I'm going to jump discussing the *pragmatic fix* to making a compromise work, because no matter how you cut it, it will take compromise.

What I will address is this:
I think it's worth considering what a distance-based zone system would look like for the GTA ..., in which case, where would you place the boundaries for the zones?
Think of a taxi fare. They compute the cost completely by incremental distance and time. Fixed fares are something of the past with a few exceptions. We can get past the whole 'zone' debate *eventually* by virtue of Presto or like: electronic tracking.

This then allows rendering *all trips* to be based on incremental distance...and *all at the same rate* (including buses...at least eventually) such that no matter what means you utilize to get you to your destination, the fare will be the same as 'the crow flies'. If Joe's Jumping Jalopy meets an operating criteria set by provincial and federal regulators, they can add vehicles to any given route to compete on the same lines as provided by the government agencies.

Euphoria included this in his quote, and it's a model that has gone both terribly wrong and right at the same time: "(think London, England)". Having spent considerable time there on several work sojourns after leaving as a child at 8, having close family still there, and being very familiar with politics as well as machinations of making their very integrated system work (but still with oddities, rail v. bus, albeit *many* but not all local and national rail services integrated at the same fare and on the same payment system) (Oyster) there are aspects that have worked very well. That being said, London (via TfL) is *taking back* many routes that were privatized prior, and folding them into London Overground. The model is far from linear, but aspects are still very useful to study.

But much of this 'studying' is useful only for *compromised* payment systems. With electronic payment and tracking, everything can be rendered down to a system like taxis. If the route goes all over the place, it matters not, that is the customer's choice to make, and thus the better ways of travelling *at the same rate per distance* will get the greatest farebox recovery, and thus re-investment to further improve it.

I never thought I'd be advocating for such an absolute distance based fare, but when faced with a patchwork of competing systems that must somehow function together, and still reward good design, I see no other way.

Other than those really necessary, we have to get buses off the road. If there's a rail line that does it faster, smoother, just as frequent and more comfortable, then that means of delivery should 'win' in terms of farebox take. Let *people* vote with how they want to travel by reflecting the true costs of getting them to their destinations. And on that count, trains affect a much lower cost on the environment, in stress, and in comfort of travel.

The sooner an incrementally based (down to the cent) system can be established that is totally transferable across an entire region is established, the sooner we can eliminate many inefficient ways of delivering services, and promote better ones.

Very bold vision, I realize, but anything short of this is a fudge. I'll try and provide references later.

Last edited:
If it wasn't for having to work with Tory and ST, GO & RER would still be a primarily 905 service as even Metrolinx stated in it's last release.
This still remains to be seen. Tory and Council still have to come up with some financing, and rabbits in a hat don't count. The day Tory, Council and QP state: "We made a mistake, we can't afford another white elephant, and SSE is one" I'll have some faith in their ability to delivery this.

So far, the jury is out. Show me the money! Don't get me wrong, *with caveats* ST (and I think it will and should be RER value added) has to happen. As to *how* that happens remains to be seen, so Tory and Wynne et al might come out looking ridiculous on this. It's not a done-deal.

I like the idea of distance-based fares in principle if it's based on distance, speed (accounting for km per hour and frequency of stops), and quality of ride (a train is preferable to a subway is preferable to a streetcar is preferable to a bus). I agree that this can be calculated through algorithms on Presto cards, but then we all have to use them or some cheap flimsy form available at the point of entry.

The speed aspect is still open to some form of premium, although it does complicate the calculation. GO, as an example, is paid between two points, no matter which form of transport you take. In some cases, from Hamilton to Toronto, for instance, the bus is actually faster, but then rail is far less likely to have backups. The passenger gets to choose which way they feel is most appropriate, and that should include using local carriers to do it the shortest way to connect up arms of the GO network. For instance, Guelph to Mimico: 29 bus from Guelph, arriving at Cooksville station, taking the Mi-Way Express south to Port Credit GO, train to Mimico. That should all be one fare. At this time, it isn't, it's two plus the co-fare on Mi-Way. For a single fare, GO wants you to take the 21H from Square One to Union, and then back west on the train to Mimico. It's ridiculous.

There's huge room for improvement.

Last edited:
Right, so in this day and age, you should be able to select your destination from a terminal and on Internet and be given a few options with ETA's and cost, so that you the user can decide which route to take. However, transfer between systems/modes must be cheaper and easier. It's far from seamless. Some municipalities, Toronto included, are being very precious and preventing fare integration. GO isn't any better. This needs to change, or what's the point of Metrolinx?

Perhaps with the Double Decker EMU's, the first level seats should be designated as "local" service, and the upper seats for longer trips.

416 first floor, 905 second floor.

Basically making the first floor of the EMU "Smarttrack" and the top floor GO-RER.

Simply if not to allow for easy "subway-like" boarding and departing of the trains between local stations.

Whether you love ST or hate it, one thing that Tory has done by proposing the idea is that it has forced Metrolinx and GO to realize {and implement} service for Torontonians. If it wasn't for having to work with Tory and ST, GO & RER would still be a primarily 905 service as even Metrolinx stated in it's last release.

ST has put GO on the Toronto map and is forcing GO to rethink their fares which are disproportionately geared against anyone travelling in the city and that alone has made ST a success.

I get slammed on here by some for supporting Smart Track (@Forgotten seems to paint me as his arch-nemesis for supporting Tory). But this was all I ever wanted out of it. If all Tory accomplishes with Smart Track is full TTC-GO integration and more frequent GO service inside the city, I'll be a happy man.

It's utterly ridiculous that we've come to regard all these services as different and people think it's normal to ride a bus to the RT to the subway 25 stops from Scarborough to downtown. That, in turn, has given us the subway vs. LRT debate where people view subways as vital, because that's the "real" connection to the core (vs. LRT as something that takes you to the subway). We need to change the paradigm. If you are going anywhere substantially far (20+ km) and particularly if that is towards the core, you should be on some kind of suburban rail (GO or Smart Track). Subway and LRT should be filling in the regional and local gaps. This is how most of the sane world does it.

I get slammed on here by some for supporting Smart Track (@Forgotten seems to paint me as his arch-nemesis for supporting Tory). But this was all I ever wanted out of it. If all Tory accomplishes with Smart Track is full TTC-GO integration and more frequent GO service inside the city, I'll be a happy man.

It's utterly ridiculous that we've come to regard all these services as different and people think it's normal to ride a bus to the RT to the subway 25 stops from Scarborough to downtown. That, in turn, has given us the subway vs. LRT debate where people view subways as vital, because that's the "real" connection to the core (vs. LRT as something that takes you to the subway). We need to change the paradigm. If you are going anywhere substantially far (20+ km) and particularly if that is towards the core, you should be on some kind of suburban rail (GO or Smart Track). Subway and LRT should be filling in the regional and local gaps. This is how most of the sane world does it.
we should be telling this to john tory

we should be telling this to john tory

We should be telling this to Metrolinx (and I've written in). They seem to forget that Toronto needs suburban rail service too. Not just the 905.

And not just Metrolinx. The saintly Steve Munro rarely pushes suburban rail for the 416 either.

That's a nice goal, but paying nearly $1 Billion to move only 14,000 riders per day is madness. This investment will provide almost zero transportation value for Torontonians. There are far better ways to go about spending that money. The ridership of SmartTrack will be anemic; no greater than the average bus route.

Council needs to find a way to get costs down to the tens of millions of dollars for this investment to make any sense.

That a city of 2.5 million can't get more riders on its suburban rail system says something about Toronto and transit integration, than it does about suburban rail.

2.9 Million. People keep saying Toronto's population is 2.5 Million like its the year 2000.

And we can do it. It'll just cost billions more for this thing to have any notable ridership.

The folly of ST was declaring that intra-city rail transit and GO regional rail has to be win/lose.....take the existing track away from 905 commuters and give it to 416 riders (as opposed to investing so both are served). That tears down a GO system that works well (and saves us a King's ransom compared to building more 400-series highways). Or pastes an anemic 416 system into the small capacity gaps in between express GO trains. We need both, but Tory tried to do this on the cheap and just muddled the two.

I have no problem supporting a $1B investment if it goes towards adding track capacity so that a properly-sized ST can operate without impeding GO. But $1B for stations ????? Something doesn't add up.

- Paul

And we can do it. It'll just cost billions more for this thing to have any notable ridership.

And that's absolutely fine with me. I'd be happy if Tory managed to simply convince GO to improve service in Toronto (frequencies, stations, etc) and improved fare integration and we (the City of Toronto) paid for the cost differential.

I have no problem supporting a $1B investment if it goes towards adding track capacity so that a properly-sized ST can operate without impeding GO. But $1B for stations ????? Something doesn't add up.

I'm thinking that Tory has discussed at least some of this with the Liberals before he became mayor and this maybe a backdoor way of Toronto contributing more. Just my theory. TO got a great deal that no other municipality in this province will get. And this is a city with relatively lower taxes. I wouldn't be surprised if the province wanted Toronto to contribute more now.

Council should cancel capital investment into SmartTrack and use that money to build Crosstown East. It's better utilization of funding, as Crosstown East will move three to six times as many people as SmartTrack(depending on fare policy)

Back