News   Apr 26, 2024
 669     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 234     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 716     0 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

GO RER is great, we were making good progress on that front, and it looks like we have a provincial government that's committed to at least starting work on this.

I have a problem with "SmartTrack" because it came from some very flawed planning exercises by land developers who saw regional rail as a way to connect suburban business parks to downtown - that's why it's got that difficult Eglinton section. The grand vision was to continue west along the 401 to Mississauga Road. Tory and his chummy band of business contacts and lobbyists also took way too much momentum from the Downtown Relief Line.

All that said, I'll live with the "SmartTrack" name if it means GO RER with fare integration, if that's what it takes to get it implemented. Doesn't mean I like it.

One issue I have with SmrtTrack/RER, and particularly the ongoing study of its role as a 'relief' line, is that I believe it will be flawed right from the get go. I think it will use false presumptions about low fares or a single integrated TTC fare (which I doubt will happen) to boost its ridership projections. The worst part about this is that it will help to reduce the DRL's priority/necessity.

One issue I have with SmrtTrack/RER, and particularly the ongoing study of its role as a 'relief' line, is that I believe it will be flawed right from the get go. I think it will use false presumptions about low fares or a single integrated TTC fare (which I doubt will happen) to boost its ridership projections. The worst part about this is that it will help to reduce the DRL's priority/necessity.
Perhaps. Or it might show that the primary criteria of relief of the Yonge Line and Bloor-Yonge station is so minimal that they stop mucking around and proceed with the DRL.

Perhaps. Or it might show that the primary criteria of relief of the Yonge Line and Bloor-Yonge station is so minimal that they stop mucking around and proceed with the DRL.

I hope so. But I think one of the Prov's top priorities is to get their pet project Yonge North started ASAP. Since the City rightfully tried to play hard ball by saying we need a relief line first, the Prov's next top priority is to create a quick-n-dirty relief line (this is where SmrtTrack comes in). No doubt we'll get trumped up ridership and 'relief' numbers with ST and RER. But if that's not enough, then they'll also offer some kind of low-rate slapdash DVP/Don Mills "BRT" to give them just enough relief so that they can get YN moving. That's at least my (mildly cynical) POV.

I find it funny how the Yonge North is now described as a provincial pet project. Wasn't the line brought forward by the TTC? Is the TTC a provincial agency? Toronto was championing the line and it was next to be built after the Spadina extension until they saw that it may be built before any Downtown Relief line which was hardly even mentioned by Toronto before this. Only then was it was mentioned that the DRL must be built before Yonge North. Funny how that makes it a provincial pet project.

One issue I have with SmrtTrack/RER, and particularly the ongoing study of its role as a 'relief' line, is that I believe it will be flawed right from the get go. I think it will use false presumptions about low fares or a single integrated TTC fare (which I doubt will happen)
I do as well -- has there been any firm commitment to having SmartTrack integrated into the TTC fare structure?

I do as well -- has there been any firm commitment to having SmartTrack integrated into the TTC fare structure?

Of course, that "within the TTC fare structure" has always been stated without the obvious caveat: That the TTC fare structure will remain the same as it is now. Yes, SmartTrack's fares may be adjusted to fit within the TTC's fare structure, but the TTC's fare structure may be adjusted to fit better with GO RER. I know the TTC has said that fare zones or fare-by-distance aren't on the table, but a lot of things the TTC has done or said they wouldn't do were at one point not on the table, too.

I'm not sure if I'm recalling this correctly, but did Tory once say that SmartTrack will be the same as a TTC fare? Or that it'll be three bucks?

He said the same as TTC fare. Not that it really matters what Tory ways. He's in no position to dictate provincial policy.

But it's not even just Tory's credibility that makes me question the cost. To me, it just doesn't make sense that it'd be the same as a TTC fare. This is why I think any studies that are going on right now will be severely flawed if they're basing calculations off a low $3 fare. As much as I support RER, I'm under the impression that it will be a more premium service than TTC.

Edit: and does anyone know where the logout button is?

But it's not even just Tory's credibility that makes me question the cost. To me, it just doesn't make sense that it'd be the same as a TTC fare. This is why I think any studies that are going on right now will be severely flawed if they're basing calculations off a low $3 fare. As much as I support RER, I'm under the impression that it will be a more premium service than TTC.

Edit: and does anyone know where the logout button is?

What if you use RER for trips within Toronto, say Union to Liberty Village, or Agincourt to Union. You can currently do the same trips using the TTC exclusively.

Does that make sense for TTC fare?

What if you use RER for trips within Toronto, say Union to Liberty Village, or Agincourt to Union. You can currently do the same trips using the TTC exclusively.

Does that make sense for TTC fare?
Yes!! for TTC fare, as that how its done in Europe.

Yes!! for TTC fare, as that how its done in Europe.

In that case, if we're saying that TTC fare should cover any trips within Toronto that the TTC usually covers, then 95% of SmartTrack as proposed would be within the TTC fare zone. There are two stations in Markham, one station in Mississauga, but the majority of SmartTrack is in Toronto (and even the subway will go outside Toronto at Vaughan in a few years).

In that case, if we're saying that TTC fare should cover any trips within Toronto that the TTC usually covers, then 95% of SmartTrack as proposed would be within the TTC fare zone. There are two stations in Markham, one station in Mississauga, but the majority of SmartTrack is in Toronto (and even the subway will go outside Toronto at Vaughan in a few years).

Yes it should be a standard 2024 TTC fare, but I'm infavour of changing the TTC fare structure.

Back