News   May 02, 2024
 337     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 200     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 220     0 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

Agreed completely, ssiguy2. I guess it's like this, if you have a bi-level with twice the capacity of a single level vehicle, but the same number/width of doors... it will take twice as long for the entire car to filter out/in through those doorways. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of single level vehicles.

But you choose to ignore the other part of ssiguy2's point that there would be less times when the entire car is filtering out at a single station? What does it matter how long it takes to unload a full car at a single station/point in time if that is not going to happen?

Plus wouldn't you need to have bigger tunnels for two level trains? If the lrt cost more underground because of the bigger tunnels than subway wouldn't this be even more expensive?

if there is tunneling to be done.....and if this ends up being a co-operative venture between ML and the city...a minimum requirement should be that, both, RER and ST vehicles should fit in those tunnels if need be...and if people here are suggesting ST vehicles should be single level while RER may be bi level then there should be no savings in tunneling because they both should fit.

But you choose to ignore the other part of ssiguy2's point that there would be less times when the entire car is filtering out at a single station? What does it matter how long it takes to unload a full car at a single station/point in time if that is not going to happen?

No no, I didn't "choose" to ignore anything (what's with the hostility?)... I fully understand that this isn't expected to operate like a GO train where everyone's just going to/coming from Union. But he's exactly right that people are probably less likely to be bothered to climb up the stairs if they're only traveling a few stops, so they're going to clutter up the lower level where the doors are.

Some of those E321's I posted on the previous page actually have modified 6-door cars instead of the usual 4 to aid in alighting/disembarking.

Where is this whole SmartTrack thing at, anyway? Is it still just an idea being floated? Is anything concrete actually being done/proposed/planned? Dates for shovels? etc.

I don't get this notion being presented that SmartTrack will use different vehicles from GO RER. If you look at all the recent Metrolinx documents, all the mention of it has been in terms of maintain a certain amount of service levels, a certain amount of stations, and integration of fares between go and and TTC. This is what the city requested from Metrolinx to add to the GO RER program in terms of SmartTrack:

- A service frequency better than 15 minutes
• All-stop service in both directions
• Accelerated electrification of the entire SmartTrack line
• Transit service integration
• Integrated fares between GO Transit and TTC
• Seven additional stations on Stouffville/Lakeshore East GO corridors
• Four additional stations on the Kitchener GO corridor (including Mt Dennis, which is currently
planned)

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd..._BoardMtg_Regional_Express_Rail_Update_EN.pdf

- All of these elements can be added without having different trains and branding. It will just be a confusing mess which will confuse the public.

I don't get this notion being presented that SmartTrack will use different vehicles from GO RER.

Okay, then what kind of vehicles will "GO RER" be using? Not the Bombardier/UTDC/Can-Car Bi-Lev's, so then what?

I don't get this notion being presented that SmartTrack will use different vehicles from GO RER.
Okay, then what kind of vehicles will "GO RER" be using? Not the Bombardier/UTDC/Can-Car Bi-Lev's, so then what?
Too early to tell, surely.

Though I'm also not buying that the SmartTrack RER would be using different vehicles from the GO RER. Could easily be the very same trains ...

Yeah - that's what we've been discussing the last few pages. Personally I don't see any difference between "GO RER" and "SmartTrack". Sounds like the same thing - high-frequency electrified commuter rail.

And of course the Smartrack Work Plan, which we dicussed earlier - http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-74960.pdf

Which to me just looks like they will cede to GO on the Kitchener and Stouffville portions, and set up a study that will kill heavy rail on Eglinton West and hopefully lead to the "compromise" of extending the Eglinton line to Renforth.

Last edited:
And of course the Smartrack Work Plan, which we dicussed earlier - http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2015/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-74960.pdf

Which to me just looks like they will cede to GO on the Kitchener and Stouffville portions, and set up a study that will kill heavy rail on Eglinton West and hopefully lead to the "compromise" of extending the Eglinton line to Renforth.

yep....from his number of posts, I am guessing that Duck is fairly new here....so probably (as we all do ocassionally) lacks any desire to go back through pages of posts...so I was just bringing forward the most recent RER stuff....I get a sense, that Duck is gonna be a fairly valuable and thoughtful poster so there is value in bringing him current.

Yeah - that's what we've been discussing the last few pages. Personally I don't see any difference between "GO RER" and "SmartTrack". Sounds like the same thing - high-frequency electrified commuter rail.

I'd give it another year or two of planning before there is only one brand or label for the entire RER Smarttrack plan.

I think we may be looking in the wrong end of the telescope here. and let's not get all foamy about which design we "like" best (or looks best in the fans' photos).

The selling point for bilevels is the capacity, not the loading time. (yes, it takes longer to load more people, so they have longer dwell time)

If the passenger loads are heavy, a single level train won't load quickly, and the system won't achieve its objective.

If the passenger loads are light, a bilevel will load quickly, but there will be excess capacity (empty seats).

There may be capital and operating cost tradeoffs (which is cheaper for the same capacity - two car bilevel train vs four car single level)

My unscientific wild-eyed guess would be that bilevels would be cheaper, even if loads are light. Smaller fleet and shorter trains. If it matters, the Montreal-NJT bilevels conform to a single-level clearance template, so I'm not wedded to the traditional GO bilevel design. Paris RER uses bilevels quite effectively in a quasi-subway mode, Parisiens don't seem to mind.

If Smarttrack is worth building, and if it is supposed to in some way offset need for a Relief Line, we need to plan for heavy loads, not light loads. If we are wedded to single level in subway format, buy more TR's - so we have consistency and economy of scale.

So I would argue for bilevels. The worst that can happen is they run partly empty. Better than running out of capacity.

- Paul

If we built the new Smarttrack stations to GO standards, they would be 12 car lengths long.

I think having a 12 car length (max) single level train would be much better than a shorter bi level for load times.

I would be surprised that a 12 car single level train running at 6 minute (Smarttrack will have less than 15 minute frequencies during rush hour) frequencies would ever fill up beyond capacity.

We have the platform space at Union and the current stations, lets utilize it.

Back