News   Jul 16, 2024
 415     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 532     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

The current UPX service (including pricing) shows there is more than "no demand" in that price range and that line isn't very good (poor integration with TTC bus service, not very long, etc.). I don't know what demand might exist, just that it's more than none.
It's a good point, but the greatest bus network potential occurs in the north of Toronto and into Mississauga/Brampton to feed Bramalea and Malton. Bramalea especially is already a hub. UPX isn't the answer, it's the inspiration. Pre-RER is the answer up to Bramalea. There's a number of express buses that feed Bramalea that already run on frequent schedules. And to buttress rbt's point, it will be popular with the extant GO fare structure. Already the hourly service during the day from Mr Pleasant usually starts filling at Brampton. Bramalea will feed even more transfers from the numerous express buses that frequent into and past. Those passengers, btw, have co-fare already with Mi-Way or Brampton Transit (and Zum express buses).

Last edited:
The problem with RER is that the whole business case depends on fare integration. There's no demand for it with the current fare structure because it ends up costing $5.00 or more on top of regular TTC fare.
I missed fully answering that in my first reply.

The waiting queues at Union to get on UPX with GO fares say you're wrong on that. They now have to count the passengers getting on at peak, with airport passengers let on first, as the seating capacity is doubled with standees, many of whom have to wait for the next train.

Yes, it's that busy, and that's only up to Bloor and (mostly) Weston. Demand is certainly there, the train is at capacity during peak, and passengers are being left on the platform.

Last edited:
Today's Star, Pagliaro writes another well-researched provocative article:

[Key details fuelling the likely funding strategy for Mayor John Tory’s SmartTrack plan are being kept secret from both council and the public ahead of a critical vote.][...]
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...rys-smarttrack-plan-remain-ahead-of-vote.html

So the same consultant who created SmartTrack and was an advisor for Tory's campaign was hired by the city on a sole source basis to study Tax Increment Financing.

"No. I don’t feel conflicted at all.”
Yeah right.

Last edited:
Get Wikileaks into it? Ever wonder what would be found in Tory's correspondence?
lol....big breath...

The irony is that in the US or UK, this info would be easily attainable with FOI requests. In this case, I don't think we need it, Tory is hanging himself besides...

His latest problem:
Crombie questions Mississauga's ability to pay for LRT airport extension
One councillor compares John Tory to Donald Trump: 'We're not going to pay for your wall.'
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/mississauga-smart-track-tory-1.3834579

And heads up:
http://torontoist.com/2016/11/development-opportunites-at-smarttrack-stations/

http://torontoist.com/2016/11/smarttrack-ridership/

Last edited:
lol....big breath...

The irony is that in the US or UK, this info would be easily attainable with FOI requests. In this case, I don't think we need it, Tory is hanging himself besides...
Really? You then have to trust the Clinton network , sorry I meant CNN to report the real "news" and not what they are told to say by the guy who owns CNN. All the phoney news being planted in U.S media against Trump is unreal

I'm not so sure. Needs a fourth track with platforms at Bloor and Weston, the new tunnel at the 401, and station work and track in Etobicoke.

The track is the easy bit, but the platform at Bloor will take some civil work along the bike path (my fear is a TPAP will be needed) and potentially more underpaths. Same at Weston - more underpaths and a whole new platform. Again, not 100% sure the last EA covers all that. Don't know how much was roughed in underground during GTS at Bloor and Weston. New Etobicoke station(s) - more TPAP? And of course, electrification.

The question becomes - can you start running more frequent trains on the existing tracks with all those "Rule 42" zones in the way? Probably not a good idea, so gotta get that work going asap.

- Paul
All very good questions, albeit predicated on not using the present tracks the UPX now uses (although they aren't dedicated save the approach and curve into the airport)...and that's one challenge I didn't address, although it has been discussed by some other posters prior: The need for a flyover junction at the airport turnoff.

More later, will try and locate prior discussions and maps posted in these forums.

Councillor Matlow has written to residents on the "absurd" situation council now faces on transit.

"On the whole, I believe this to be an even worse process than the one that resulted in Council choosing the One-Stop subway in Scarborough."

http://joshmatlow.ca/issues-and-pol...ttrack-proposal-before-council-this-week.html
Very good heads-up! I'm rushing out, just glanced at it, one of the better analyses yet, and I love that he's quoting Planning (which will eventually sink Tory on a number of issues, and Council! Judson Rd will be a watershed moment before the OMB on that if/when Planning are subpoenaed by Metrolinx to testify and present reports).

From your link:
[Also absent from this report is any context regarding where these lines fit into Toronto’s transit network. The City’s Planning Division spent years developing the Feeling Congested framework to assess the utility of transit projects.]

This looks delicious. Back to eat this meal later.

Edit to Add:
I refuse to feed the troll, but on-topic, here's from Robyn Doolittle, prior to her departure to the Globe and now disappeared...?
Freedom of information activists ask: Why are Toronto councillors allowed to work in secret?

Archaic privacy laws let municipal politicians escape accountability, say advocates for transparency in government.
[...]
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...to_councillors_allowed_to_work_in_secret.html

Get Wikileaks into it? Ever wonder what would be found in Tory's correspondence?

Why, regardless of what Wikileaks finds, the public would still vote Tory.

Councillor Matlow has written to residents on the "absurd" situation council now faces on transit.

"On the whole, I believe this to be an even worse process than the one that resulted in Council choosing the One-Stop subway in Scarborough."

http://joshmatlow.ca/issues-and-pol...ttrack-proposal-before-council-this-week.html

Sad to say, but the most optimistic outlook on transit planning may have occurred when the Ford-McGuinty compromise on the Eglinton Scarborough Crosstown was struck.

Before that we had the announcement of the subway to Sorbara riding as thanks for a lifetime of fundraising. Then there was the Transit City with on-street LRT) dare I say streetcar) everywhere that lead to the election of Ford.
and Since then, Council proudly announced that they are taking the transit file back from Ford (in January 2012), and the Scarborough Liberals got involved, it has been a mess.

A lot of this is Queen's Park & Metrolinx's fault.

RER is a good concept but it's the actually delivery, fares, and frequency that will determine whether it's a stellar success or a money pit. ST wouldn't be needed if Toronto knew what the fares will be on RER but they don't. For all it stands right now, there could be no fare integration with GO/RER at all or they could be run at the TTC fares. All RER is right now is more frequent GO service and that's it. Metrolinx has been shockingly quiet on what exactly RER is and most importantly, how the fares will work.

IF RER is just TTC fares {as it should be} then ST is not required but if it's just the current GO structure it will do nothing for Toronto and ST will definitely be needed.

Back