News   Jun 26, 2024
 38     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 279     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 363     0 

Sleazy service award

We have our furnace cleaned each year by the same Riverdale firm that installed it 10 years ago. I find that by keeping a good relationship with service providers, especially smaller firms, they don't hose you later on during emergency calls. We had a nasty rattle in our furnace this week and our service guy came by and saw that it was a simply part that had shaken loose on the inside, and charged us nothing beyond the annual cleaning charge, since we had it cleaned at the same time.

It doesn't matter whether they have a case or not. They can sue just to harass you. It happens often enough. He can probably discuss his experience (objectively), but his opinion will likely open him up to a libel suit. I know, it sucks, but better safe than sued.

Shouldn't yelp.com have been destroyed already then?

It doesn't matter whether they have a case or not. They can sue just to harass you. It happens often enough. He can probably discuss his experience (objectively), but his opinion will likely open him up to a libel suit. I know, it sucks, but better safe than sued.

That all depends if the admin of this site wants to give up the contact details of the user in question.

alas---

second opinion (free and unsolicited) on the way

-------------------------------------------------------

Sears called this AM to offer a free assessment of my furnace's condition and a free estimate to correct any problems. I suppose they will want to clean my ducts and sell me a maintenance programme for my furnace and air conditioning. Could be interesting, appointment is tomorrow PM, I'll keep you posted.

The Sears person arrived almost on time and proceeded to flog duct cleaning as suspected. When reminded that I had agreed to his presence in my home in order to assess my furnace problems he confessed that he knew nothing about furnaces but would send a nice man out for $200.00 to check it out.

Oddly enough the recalcitrant blower is not complaining as badly and the furnace continues to operate well. Plan 2 will commence on the 27th.

How many times has this been a problem on Urban Toronto?

Hey, you don't want to be there first one. And using a pseudonym won't help you much.

If company lawyers have the time to trawl the web looking for potential libel they wouldn't have time to be filing papers. Besides, such an action would be immensely expensive to the client. I think you are making reference to much more clear examples of potential libel than someone saying they received lousy service.

Regardless of that, I agree with you that people should understand what libel is and why they should avoid it.

That said, can someone mention the name of a 1960's song or group that features something about a river in the UK with a ferry across it? It's purely a musical interest. ;)

As I understand it, FreeDominion.ca and five of its members are currently being sued. So, I would say that is does happen. Sure, FreeDominion probably deserves it...

I don't see how someone complaining about lousy service from a heating/cooling company could be sued for libel for complaining he was ripped off or tried to be ripped off. Just scroll through all the comments all over the web complaining about Wal-Mart, Rogers, Bell, TTC, Cresford, etc.

Now, if he was saying that this company was dealing in stolen parts without evidence, or something really damaging or out there, I could see it. But this kind of complaint is oh so typical.

IMO suing a person because they criticize your business practices is bad for business. all it does is draw more negative attention to your company.

Then again, there are those companies that provide sleazy services. But I guess that's a whole different category. ;)

Then again, there are those companies that provide sleazy services. But I guess that's a whole different category. ;)

where people may actually prefer crappy service....

150px-Combination_enema_and_douche_syringe.jpg

:eek::eek::eek:

The end

I managed to source the part required for my furnace yesterday at LN Electric Motors at 2899 Steeles Ave W. Their price was $120 which is very fair considering that the part was available on the net for about $60US which quickly became about $120CDN when exchange, couriers and brokerage charges are added in. A big hand for Sam at LN please for not being a ripoff artist.

The installation took me an hour (I need a new socket set) and was quite straight forward. Assuming the service guy from the company whose name can not be spoken is a lot faster than I am let's guess that he would have completed the job in a half hour. Their quote was $895 including parts, assuming that they didn't pay more for parts than I did their hourly rate must be $895 -120/.5 = $1550.

I think I would come out of retirement for that kind of cash, wouldn't you?

No comments?

I am disappointed. Why did I bother to chronicle this situation, I thought there might be a lesson to be learned by the average consumer but I guess the average consumer just doesn't care.

Back