News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 568     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 867     0 

SkyriseCities.com and UT Forum Changes (Oct 9, 2015)

What's critical about it?

I don't know if the word is critical but mentioning the number of stories along with the height adds helpful context to the building's design and function. Is the building 235M and 70 stories or 235M and 48 stories? One building is likely residential while the other is likely an office tower. It is a useful point of comparison with neighboring buildings or other buildings in the city. If the information is listed in the title it makes for an immediate comparison.

Congrats to Urban Toronto for hitting over 1 million posts today :).

Screen shot 2015-11-14 at 6.51.37 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-11-14 at 6.51.37 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-14 at 6.51.37 PM.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,024
I don't know if the word is critical but mentioning the number of stories along with the height adds helpful context to the building's design and function. Is the building 235M and 70 stories or 235M and 48 stories? One building is likely residential while the other is likely an office tower. It is a useful point of comparison with neighboring buildings or other buildings in the city. If the information is listed in the title it makes for an immediate comparison.

why has this not been fixed yet?

Congrats to Urban Toronto for hitting over 1 million posts today :).

View attachment 59469
It would be great if someone were to create either a treemap or a sunburst diagram of the entire Urban Toronto forum with the first-order categories being the subforums and the second-order categories being the top ten threads (and the rest being combined).

This would be a good way to see how large the "Rob Ford's Toronto" thread compares with both the rest of the Toronto Issues forum (as well as UT in general).

This would be a good way to see how large the "Rob Ford's Toronto" thread compares with both the rest of the Toronto Issues forum (as well as UT in general).

Rob who? :)

Thread titles now have both height in storeys and in metres. A question mark next to the metres indicates we don't know how high.

Going through my monthly "catch up with every forum thread I've neglected to read this past month" this Family Day, I began wondering if there was a way to organize or categorize subscribed/watched threads.

Maybe by forum sections, or by user-made groups. Especially since we can anticipate in the long-term more activity on SkyRiseCities, and therefore threads from other city sections clogging up UrbanToronto watched threads.

Anyway, just an idea that occurred to me today. Not sure if something like this is even feasible.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. I did a cursory look and couldn't find mention of it elsewhere.

A minor issue regarding email notifications. Occasionally I'm getting email notifications through SkyriseCities instead of UT. It messes with the notification system because unless I then search for the thread on UT to read the post I no longer receive emails on that topic. Again, it's a very minor issue, but I thought it might be best to post it anyway.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. I did a cursory look and couldn't find mention of it elsewhere.

This is a great place for that!

Could you check which threads are sending you SRC notifications instead of UT notifications? It could have to do with their new Forum home or it could be a mystery to pass on to our dev.

Could you also describe the notification difference in a little more detail? It sounds like on UT you will keep getting updates on a thread whether or not you have actually been on the site, and from SRC you get one alert for an update and then nothing until you have read the thread. Is that right?

I've taken some screenshots from my inbox to try and illustrate. The first image shows the One Bloor East thread notification coming from SkyriseCities. If I don't visit the UT thread instead of the SkyriseCities thread I don't seem to get any more notifications on that thread from UT. I don't think that last part is a bug though. In general, once UT has sent an email update on a particular thread, I don't get any more notifications until I've visited that thread. I just mention it because it's the source of the small frustration factor of having to manually navigate to the UT thread to get the notifications working again rather than just being taken there from the link in the UT emails.

In this case I manually navigated to the UT One Bloor East version of the thread, and then at 1:37 I received a new notification from UT.
src.png

This image shows search results for all the emails I've received from SkyriseCities instead of Urban Toronto...the ones I haven't deleted anyway.
src2.png

I hope that helps clarify what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• src.png
    src.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 627
  • src2.png
    src2.png
    132.3 KB · Views: 642
So I was thinking today (and this applies to SkyRiseCities too), why don't we have the database be editable be users?

This way the data and information on development projects can all be updated by users themselves. Each edit would have to be approved by a moderator/staff member to prevent vandalism and preserve accuracy.

That way, the site can can take advantage of it's greatest resource - its userbase - in updating, maintaining and preserving the database, for free, with minimal upkeep.

So I was thinking today (and this applies to SkyRiseCities too), why don't we have the database be editable be users?

This way the data and information on development projects can all be updated by users themselves. Each edit would have to be approved by a moderator/staff member to prevent vandalism and preserve accuracy.

That way, the site can can take advantage of it's greatest resource - its userbase - in updating, maintaining and preserving the database, for free, with minimal upkeep.

A cool idea as long as we can moderate to ensure changes are correct.

I'm getting real tired of this Skyrise stuff that keeps finding its way onto the Urban Toronto site.

Untitled.png

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 557

Back