News   Apr 26, 2024
 345     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 544     0 

Simpsons Tower Nightime Lighting

299 bloor call control.

Member Bio
Reaction score
This was discussed in the "Lost in Toronto Colour" thread about the lighting at the top of the Simpsons Tower. I spoke to the building manager, and she informed me that the building owners (Ivanhoe Cambridge) decided that for energy saving purposes (environmental), they've decided to turn off the lighting on the crown permanently. It's not surprising, if the lighting system is from when the building was built. She also cited the fact that FLAP ends up shutting the lights off for six months of the year anyway. I don't think she understood really why some of us think it's a negative that the lights are off, but I had a discussion with her and I think she has a better understanding of why nighttime illumination is important for other reasons.

She said she'd bring up the possibility of turning them back on, though I'm not holding my breath. I suggested that they could convert the lighting to LED, and then have three of the stripes reflect HBCs colours, as a branding opportunity, and she seemed to like that idea.

So there's that. The Simpsons Tower is probably going to stay dark... sigh.

81747550_89a8409cfe.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think she understood really why some of us think it's a negative that the lights are off, but I had a discussion with her and I think she has a better understanding of why nighttime illumination is important for other reasons.

Is the Simpson Tower covered under any omnibus heritage listing/designation involving the block? In any case, it's worth emphasizing that it's architectural lighting, it's integral to the tower's design, etc--and to even the most casually architecturally ignorant, the illuminated crown is what made it "distinctive".

She said she'd bring up the possibility of turning them back on, though I'm not holding my breath. I suggested that they could convert the lighting to LED, and then have three of the stripes reflect HBCs colours, as a branding opportunity, and she seemed to like that idea.

LED, absolutely--it's a no-brainer solution. Here's another LED-retrofitted landmark.

That thing was actually lit in the past?? I don't remeber ever noticing that, just how long ago did the lights turn off?

I was wondering why the lights were never on anymore. That's a shame. I liked them on. It would be nice if they converted to LED though.

If someone could dig up the relevant email address, I'd be happy to send a friendly note to the building manager/Ivanhoe Cambridge with adma's architectural points and 299 bloor's LED branding suggestion. Perhaps if they receive a few such messages, they'll have a change of heart.

Last edited:
If someone could dig up the relevant email address, I'd be happy to send a friendly note to the building manager/Ivanhoe Cambridge with adma's architectural points and 299 bloor's LED branding suggestion. Perhaps if they receive a few such messages, they'll have a change of heart.

Hi,

I also can send them an email to increase the number of messages they get regarding this! (it's better than doing nothing!)

as well, from my perspective, i wish that they not only converted this to LED lighting but also did a reclad of the exterior as this building overall is unsightly....and should they do the reclad attractively, it would 'extend' the financial core a little north (when viewing from a distance) to better connect with the three office towers on top of the Eaton Centre. (note: what I mean to say is that from my perspective, this unattractive building combined with the 390 Bay Street towers puts a visual end to the financial district and i want that extended further north.)

cheers,

R

as well, from my perspective, i wish that they not only converted this to LED lighting but also did a reclad of the exterior as this building overall is unsightly....and should they do the reclad attractively, it would 'extend' the financial core a little north (when viewing from a distance) to better connect with the three office towers on top of the Eaton Centre. (note: what I mean to say is that from my perspective, this unattractive building combined with the 390 Bay Street towers puts a visual end to the financial district and i want that extended further north.)

The building has a "generic modern" look to it, but the concrete cladding creates an interesting link in the area to the likes of City Hall + NPS, the Sheraton Centre, 390 Bay Street, and Bell Trinity Square.

I had no idea that building even had lights until a few years ago when they had it lit during the Cavalcade of Lights. The building really caught my attention. I have never seen it lit since.

Er, the suggestion about re-illuminating the top with LED is contingent upon an appreciation of the architectural aesthetic that led to the illuminated top in the first place, 40 odd years ago. So by making this suggestion, you're cancelling out the whole raison d'etre of the thread--maybe the snuffing the crown is idiotic, but you don't fix idiocy with even greater idiocy.

And besides, what's to "connect"? If anything's a barrier to extending the financial district further north as you suggest, it's Old City Hall, not Simpsons or 390 Bay...

Er, the suggestion about re-illuminating the top with LED is contingent upon an appreciation of the architectural aesthetic that led to the illuminated top in the first place, 40 odd years ago. So by making this suggestion, you're cancelling out the whole raison d'etre of the thread--maybe the snuffing the crown is idiotic, but you don't fix idiocy with even greater idiocy.

And besides, what's to "connect"? If anything's a barrier to extending the financial district further north as you suggest, it's Old City Hall, not Simpsons or 390 Bay...

Perhaps I'm not using the right word but what I was trying to say is that when I view downtown toronto from a distance, the financial core to me (subjectively) ends at Simpsons/390 bay as the glassy towers of the financial core end just south of that....now say if this simpsons tower was renovated and looked more like the other modern office towers, visually, the financial core would extend out all the way upto Eaton Centre (including the three office towers on the eaton centre....it would be a nice addition to visually extending the financial core.

I think the lighting on the Simpsons Tower was a bit too blinding, so the conversion to LED (and the addition of colours) would be a good thing.

I browsed through the Mean City book the other day and noticed that 200 University (the old Sun Life Building) had its crown lit up in a similar fashion in a night photo. Another Toronto building of the era that had a blinding white top.

200university.jpg

Perhaps I'm not using the right word but what I was trying to say is that when I view downtown toronto from a distance, the financial core to me (subjectively) ends at Simpsons/390 bay as the glassy towers of the financial core end just south of that....now say if this simpsons tower was renovated and looked more like the other modern office towers, visually, the financial core would extend out all the way upto Eaton Centre (including the three office towers on the eaton centre....it would be a nice addition to visually extending the financial core.

But my point is: given the thrust of what sparked this thread, which is built upon an appreciation of the existing architecture (think: later Parkin in a slicked-up Paul Rudolph highrise mode) and the lit crown as fundamental to its intended architectural effect, the fact that you're suggesting such a drastic makeover because you find the building "unattractive" and "unsightly" indicates that you have this whole argument hilariously ass-backward.

Under the circumstances, to think that Simpson Tower should be renovated to "look more like the other modern office towers" is as imbecilically shortsighted as the decision to demolish the Foresters Building for 390 Bay forty years ago.

Last edited:
I think the lighting on the Simpsons Tower was a bit too blinding, so the conversion to LED (and the addition of colours) would be a good thing.

I browsed through the Mean City book the other day and noticed that 200 University (the old Sun Life Building) had its crown lit up in a similar fashion in a night photo. Another Toronto building of the era that had a blinding white top.

200university.jpg

Always loved 200 University. Inspiration for Telus? Never knew it was lit that way. Thanks for the info.

Under the circumstances, to think that Simpson Tower should be renovated to "look more like the other modern office towers" is as imbecilically shortsighted as the decision to demolish the Foresters Building for 390 Bay forty years ago.

Interestingly, the current Foresters Building across from the Science Centre looks somewhat like a reclad Simpsons Tower. Maybe that's what City Lover wants.

website%20foresters.jpg

Back