News   Apr 26, 2024
 525     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 210     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 691     0 

Sidewalk plowing

Toronto is cheap, what else is there to say.

This is a big city, you can't rely on individuals shoveling the snow of publicly owned space (sidewalk). The house next to me is vacant, who is going to shovel the sidewalk in front of it. And some people are too old to shovel, or pregnant. It wouldn't be right to fine them if they cannot physically shovel.

what's more shocking is that the subways don't run effectively during "inclement weather"

The property owners would be responsible.

See this link.

It's Moss park...is that not city owned property?
It was reported numerous times to 311 last winter, but never cleared, never salted.
Will the city fine itself?
What about the apartment building on the north east corner of Sherbourne and Shuter...the sidewalk along Shuter was never cleared or salted either. I guess the city doesn't have the resources to police itself or other large property owners, but is happy to levy a fine against a homeowner with 13 feet of sidewalk.

Toronto is cheap, what else is there to say.

This is a big city, you can't rely on individuals shoveling the snow of publicly owned space (sidewalk). The house next to me is vacant, who is going to shovel the sidewalk in front of it. And some people are too old to shovel, or pregnant. It wouldn't be right to fine them if they cannot physically shovel.

what's more shocking is that the subways don't run effectively during "inclement weather"

Why can't we? The house that is vacant should be fined every time it is now plowed. If they don't pay, it goes to their property tax bill (and then if they don't pay that the city can sell the land).

As for seniors, pregnant, etc....they can hire someone if they are incapable. If you are too poor...well you are either renting or owning a house. If you cannot afford the house...sell it. So it's now a subset of the people that are either to old, infirm or pregnant AND who are too poor to pay $20 to a kid AND still live in a house AND doesn't have a neighbour that would volunteer. A pretty small subset of the population that is left out.

Harsh, yes. But a realistic assessment. Everyone wants the entire city to be plowed for this small subset of the population. And I'm guessing it's less than 0.10% of the population.

Is that really worth taxpayers $$$. Or should a charity be given the task? (lots of high school kids need their volunteer hours....problem solved)

The question would then become, do you shovel to the width of the sidewalk or to the width of the shovel? Think that most shovel to the width of the shovel.
Shoveled_sidewalk_after_February_2013_nor%27easter,_Walden,_NY.jpg

So it's now a subset of the people that are either to old, infirm or pregnant AND who are too poor to pay $20 to a kid AND still live in a house AND doesn't have a neighbour that would volunteer. A pretty small subset of the population that is left out.
I'd love to pay a kid $20 to shovel my snow, I'd pay them more if one ever showed up ready to work. Where do you live, can I call on you as a volunteer neighbour every time it snows?

Harsh, yes. But a realistic assessment.
Not in this century my friend.

Or we could make the hard decision and force EVERYONE to shovel the sidewalk in front of their house. For the dozen times it snows in Toronto why do we pay so much for sidewalk plowing?

Hire enforcement officers (cost neutral with fines) and have no exemptions. Pay the neighbourhood kid $20 if you are elderly (or ask a neighbour...most will gladly help out for free). This $240 that you have paid is a cost of living in Toronto.

Historically every person was obligated to plow the road in front of their house...the sidewalk is a small sacrifice.

How long does it take to plow a sidewalk by machine? Not long. How many sidewalks can get shovelled in one hour? I don't know the hourly rate these employees get paid but I say its a bargain

Want your kids to ask their neighbours if they could shovel their walks for money? Check the by-laws first.

Teen told to not solicit for snow removal jobs

in New Jersey. See link.

With snow falling in suburban neighborhoods, kids tend to try and make a couple bucks shoveling. But now it turns out that trying to market your shoveling business ahead of time is against the law.

In Bound Brook, NJ, there is a solicitation law in place that says, you have to apply for a license in order to “sell door-to-doorâ€, which can cost about hundred dollars to receive.But Bound Brook's not the only place that has solicitation laws, many other boroughs all over the country do as well.

Which is why the city should be plowing ALL the sidewalks. Cheaper than having inspectors going around to enforce, paperwork for elderly, courts, etc.. Do it for all.
The City should also plow more of the PARKS paths. Many are really 'sidewalks in a park" ((E.g. In St James park they plow the diagonal one from the cathedral to Adelaide/Jarvis but not the equivalent one from King/Jarvis to Adelaide nearer Church. "It's always been done that way">)

You may have noticed that the road salt is doing nothing when the temperatures this past weekend fell to -23°C or lower. Road salt is only good up to -10°.
Not a big problem, it seldom snow below -10C. Though in my sodium chloride is effective to closer to -15 than -10. Even during a cold snap like this, Toronto highs are normally above the -15 threshold. And looking at the next week, it should his -12 every day, and up to -4.

That's an interesting city report on the plowing. But the questions is, what happens?

Back