News   Oct 02, 2024
 230     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 350     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 440     0 

Shuttle returns to Mississauga Centre and 62-63 expansion

That makes sense, considering Elm/Hurontario is more developed.
I wonder where the stop for Elm/Hurontario will be for the 3. Will it be on the West side of Hurontario or East? There is not a lot of room on the West side, but I think the street is wider on the East side, however there is a driveway to a building right after Hurontario.

^ Route 3 would use whatever stops route 8 uses now, since they will overlap. I think this is a good change btw.

Yes I think so, that looks about right.

---

BTW, I'll just post this here because i don't want to bring back the other thread:

I noticed that the 44 and 110 now have some closed door situations at UTM, and that MT has just started using articulated buses on these routes because of this. Hopefully, they will add more buses to these routes soon.

^ Route 3 would use whatever stops route 8 uses now, since they will overlap. I think this is a good change btw.

Hmmm, they're gonna have to do something about that. The stop for the 8 at the southwest corner of Elm/Hurontario is really tiny and doesn't even have a shelter. It's going to see a large increase in the amount of people at that intersection. It's going to be funny at first seeing all of the people get off the 19 Northbound at Central Parkway, to find out they gotta walk to Elm to catch the 3.

Also Wikipedia says we're getting 35 D60LFR's in 2007/2008. Is this true? Those are the articulated ones right? That's weird, I thought Mississauga Transit was done with articulated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississauga_Transit#Fleet

Yes I think so, that looks about right.

---

BTW, I'll just post this here because i don't want to bring back the other thread:

I noticed that the 44 and 110 now have some closed door situations at UTM, and that MT has just started using articulated buses on these routes because of this. Hopefully, they will add more buses to these routes soon.

Do you know riders on 110 are spending an extra 8 minutes if not more for their trip now compare to 24?

This sounds like a good improvement. The 3 would avoid Hurontario altogether (not worth the two stops on it, one of which is on Elm anyway), especially the brutal left turn onto Central Parkway, where the driver has to sharply make three lane changes over from the curb and then usually wait an entire light cycle in the left turn lane since traffic is so heavy.

Yes it does get the 3 out of the left hand lane both at Central and Burnhamthrope and will improve reliability.

Some riders do get off at Mathew Gate.

I guess 3 will see the service changes in Dec not in 2008. 3 headway needs to be reduce right across the board 7 days a week. It carries peak ridership during off peak time.

I hope they take out that layover time out at Dixie.

I'm one of those people that gets off at Matthew's Gate. I live right there. It's okay though, I can walk to Elm, it's only like a 1 min walk.

Is that a joke? The 110 between UTM to Square One is at least 5 minutes faster than the old 24.

According to the Click & Ride trip planner.

I hope they take out that layover time out at Dixie.

God, I hope so too! Selfishly, I wouldn't mind if they took out the entire circuitous Mississauga Valley leg of the route while they were at it, but I guess there are too many schools and riders there to pass over. Where's that crosstown GO line when you need it? Sigh.

I'm one of those people that gets off at Matthew's Gate. I live right there. It's okay though, I can walk to Elm, it's only like a 1 min walk.

Yeah, they're so close I could wait at either stop depending on the building exit I use. :)

God, I hope so too! Selfishly, I wouldn't mind if they took out the entire circuitous Mississauga Valley leg of the route while they were at it, but I guess there are too many schools and riders there to pass over. Where's that crosstown GO line when you need it? Sigh.

Yeah, they're so close I could wait at either stop depending on the building exit I use. :)

I hate that the 3 goes on Mississauga Valley. It's a 40 km/h zone. Horrible. And you have no idea how many times I think to myself "why is there not a crosstown GO line?!?"

We must live close to each other or in the same building :p Kaneff Cres?

What was the most number of riders you saw on those shuttles?

I don't have the figures from that time, however from what I recall from the staff report, ridership was increasing yearly especially since Mississauga Transit took over the running of the service with a new fleet, and increased frequency.

I used the shuttle almost daily when it was in operation, and it was well used throughout the day by office workers heading to lunch at square one or transit terminal, students heading to square one or the library from Father Michael Goetz (where I attended), seniors heading to the Older Adult Centre (the stop in front of the mall was very popular), families along Webb Drive and the odd tourist from Novotel Hotel.

This was an excellent service that was unique to a North America City Centre.

What percentage of vacancy for the office building existed then?

I have no clue what the vacancy back then, if anything the free shuttle service would have been a selling point to attract more companies to locate in the city centre. As I stated before, this was the primary purpose of the shuttle to promote economic development in the city centre, while to a certain extend it achieved that, it also became a local service for resident that made living in the city centre at the time more liveable.

Talk to your good friend about the cost and ridership since she call for the cancellation and support it. It is like the talk now that the City is considering selling the LAC as it is a money drain. The city just wrote off $125,000 out standing debit for a group and your friend gave them $60,000 to start fresh.

The city cancelled this service without any real public consultation, as I stated I spoke up and fought against it before City Council. I did talk to the Mayor at the time and expressed my views. She agreed with me, however at the time, there was no senior government for transit (no gas tax) and MT had to make the cut to save a few hundred thousand a year to direct to other routes. I want to point out that the local Councillor, Frank Dale who represents the City Centre also agreed with me and voted against the cancellation of the service.

If anyone outside of MT or the city is willing to fund the full cost of a free shuttle go for it. There is no such thing as free as someone has to pay for it.

Give me a break already. Of course running the service isn't free, as I stated this was a unique service and City Centre land owners at one point covered 100% of the cost of running the service for free. I do not know what percent the city began to cover when it was passed into MT hands, however I am certain it wasn't beyond 1/3 of the cost of the service.

You just said developers would charge the owners of those condo's the cost to fund it. Cost to operate such a free shuttle goes up yearly and now what do you do when that $.50 does cover the operation cost anymore?

You of all people would know that running a transit system NEVER breaks event. The fact that many people said they were willing to pay 50 cents said a lot. They didn't mind that it wasn't going to be free anymore, the important thing was that the service was there for them to use. As stated before, MT choose not to introduce fares because the drivers at the time were not part of the union and didn't want to go through the trouble of brining them on board.

Furthermore, as the population of the city centre has been growing each year, ridership would have gone up as well. Again if only had the city waited another 2-3 years, more demand would have arrived. It did arrive, and hence today the need for brining back the service.

As to the lost of hundreds of thousands riders, I did not know MT had that many riders. MT carries about 85,000 riders a day.

Who said anything about daily or even annual numbers? My point was that service was cut to countless numbers of people in the City Centre.

If you look closely to who was using the free shuttle, it was the residents on Webb. Rest of the routes saw next to no riders even at peak time.

Of course the residents on Webb were the primary users of the service. As I pointed out, that was one of the major problems with the service objective, it was economic development, not local transport. You are overly exggerating when you say no riders used the service even at peak time. The service would not have continued to run for YEARS if NOBODY WAS USING IT! There was clearly a demand and need there at the time, even more so TODAY!

The residents on Webb as well the other riders were not willing to pay anything toward to keep be the buses on the road unless it was free

Wrong, many resident expressed their willingess to pay for such a service, that's where the 50 cent idea came from.

The maximum walking time is 10 minutes from any point of the existing route to get to Sq One. Most of this time is lost by traffic lights. The area around Sq One falls within the 400m or 5 minute walking distance to a transit stop.

The area around Sq One is GOING to be residential not commercial as plan. The city has already reduce the sq footage for commercial.

Tell me something I don't know already. You were at the Moving Froward summit a year ago. At the end of the day, public transport is the number one issue in the city centre. Anything the city can do to encourage people to get out their cars is a good thing.

Louroz

The city cancelled this service without any real public consultation, as I stated I spoke up and fought against it before City Council. I did talk to the Mayor at the time and expressed my views. She agreed with me, however at the time, there was no senior government for transit (no gas tax) and MT had to make the cut to save a few hundred thousand a year to direct to other routes.

A few hundred thousand for transit is a lot of money.

You of all people would know that running a transit system NEVER breaks event [sic].

Never breaks even? Then what's with Hurontario, where the buses actually make a profit for MT?

Who said anything about daily or even annual numbers? My point was that service was cut to countless numbers of people in the City Centre.

There are not an unlimited amount of people in the City Centre. There is around 40,000 only.

Of course the residents on Webb were the primary users of the service. As I pointed out, that was one of the major problems with the service objective, it was economic development, not local transport. You are overly exggerating when you say no riders used the service even at peak time. The service would not have continued to run for YEARS if NOBODY WAS USING IT! There was clearly a demand and need there at the time, even more so TODAY!

There are quite a few MT routes that have very little ridership, but MT keeps on providing the service anyways, like routes 4 and 65. Just because the service is there doesn't mean people actually use it.

Tell me something I don't know already. You were at the Moving Froward summit a year ago. At the end of the day, public transport is the number one issue in the city centre. Anything the city can do to encourage people to get out their cars is a good thing.

MT can do other things to get people out their cars. The extension of improved service of the 62 and 63 (which I think is a good idea) is enough. That is what MT should do: concentrate on improving the real transit routes in the City Centre instead. Or they can add new routes to other neighbourhoods that are not served my transit at all, like Churchill Meadows. Or add buses to overcrowded routes elsewhere, of which there are many.

With so many demands for more service and so little resources, this City Centre Shuttle is the last thing MT should be implementing. A route like the City Centre Shuttle is more like a lame tourist route for sightseeing, not a real transit route. And MCC doesn't have many tourists.

The only thing that is lame is your lame opposition to the concept of FREE PUBLIC TRANSIT in the CITY CENTRE?

Keep in mind that the City Centre Landowners were paying for over 2/3 of the bill at the time. There was an option to introduce fares at the time to cover the city's operating costs and instead of choosing that option, it just cancelled the service out right.

The city has admitted it made a mistake, city council has gone on record about that. It now has to restart a service we once had already, however without any corporate support from landowners, which will probably lose even MORE money than the free shuttle we once had.

Louroz

The only thing that is lame is your lame opposition to the concept of FREE PUBLIC TRANSIT in the CITY CENTRE?

A meandering unidirectional circuitous route is not real public transit. Such a service should be operated and paid for by the business themselves, not MT.

And if even it was free, it's still one less bus that the city can use to relieve an overcrowding or enhance a low frequency route elsewhere in the city.

Back