News   Apr 18, 2024
 682     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Should Ontario abolish religious schools or Eliminate funding for religious schools

Nothing wrong with religious schools if you pay for them.

There's lots wrong with it.

It's immoral to not protect children from being brainwashed with lies by supernatural based cults. It's abuse and abusing children shouldn't be allowed under any circumstances.

Now, there's not much you can do about it if it is going on in the home, but we need to put a stop to legitimizing it as acceptable in society, and a good place to start is to ban it from any educational context, whether private schools or public.

There's lots wrong with it.

It's immoral to not protect children from being brainwashed with lies by supernatural based cults. It's abuse and abusing children shouldn't be allowed under any circumstances.

Now, there's not much you can do about it if it is going on in the home, but we need to put a stop to legitimizing it as acceptable in society, and a good place to start is to ban it from any educational context, whether private schools or public.

You are obviously NOT an alum of schools such as BSS, Haveral, TCS, Royal St. George's etc... Most of us take pride in our education and love the traditions these schools hold. Without having experienced these schools, you probably don't understand what it's like. Anyway, I'll end it at that. Prep school kids are prep school kids and I guess we have our own culture(s) that outsiders don't "get." Heck, my HUSBAND doesn't quite understand. Nor my non-private school friends...even close ones. Well, that, or you had a horrible experience. All I have to say is there were kids of all faiths at BSS. I met my first hijab-wearing Muslims while I was there.

You are obviously NOT an alum of schools such as BSS, All I have to say is there were kids of all faiths at BSS. I met my first hijab-wearing Muslims while I was there.

First of all, I'm not a girl...so no. :p

Secondly, prep schools are about elitism and social mobility (which I don't have a problem with), not religion, which is why you have rich Muslims sending their kids to an Anglican school. You obviously are still influenced by this "prep school" attitude, proving my point about indoctrinating children into "clubs" as being very effective.

Thirdly, female empowerment types who don't seem appalled by "hijab-wearing Muslims" are obviously a tad confused.

First of all, I'm not a girl...so no. :p

Secondly, prep schools are about elitism and social mobility (which I don't have a problem with), not religion, which is why you have rich Muslims sending their kids to an Anglican school. You obviously are still influenced by this "prep school" attitude, proving my point about indoctrinating children into "clubs" as being very effective.

Thirdly, female empowerment types who don't seem appalled by "hijab-wearing Muslims" are obviously a tad confused.

1. TCS is co-ed and has been since the late 80s/early 90s (used to be boys-only).
2. Royal St. George's is for boys

Not touching the religion thing.

Well that's unfortunate, considering that is the thread topic.

It's pretty obvious that we will never agree on this topic, so let's just agree to disagree. I will, however, defend my alma mater and schools just like it. In my opinion, schools in large cities like Toronto, whether public or private, will always be segregated one form or another - even public schools. How many kids at, say, Lawrence Park Collegiate are from lower income households? STEM-focused programs are likely predominantly boys and/or Asian (this goes back some 30 years. I went to Kumon when I was a little girl in the late 80s and guess what? Almost EVERYONE there was Asian...Chinese or Korean, I'd gather. I don't remember if it was mostly boys, but I certainly wasn't the only girl there. I could count on ONE HAND the number of white kids I saw. TWO. Brownies and Guides on the other hand, was mostly white, and my piano teacher's students were 50-50 (and almost ALL first generation Canadian. The white kids were predominantly of Eastern European heritage).

It's pretty obvious that we will never agree on this topic, so let's just agree to disagree. I will, however, defend my alma mater and schools just like it.

Not sure what it is you think we disagree about. I don't have a problem with private schools.

I have a problem with lying to children.

Back