News   Jun 25, 2024
 750     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 741     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Shops at Don Mills (redevelopment, Giannone Petricone/Pellow + Associates )

Homer, I am not quite sure how 'popular' that 'popular' restaurant was if they only had 2 tables of people at the height of dinner on a Thursday.

I guess, with that definition, Don Mills Centre is very popular.

You just made my point! so it must not be popular because only two tables were there on a Thursday. You have a very simplistic mind.
Maybe it was so friggin cold out on Thursday most people probably didn't venture out. I wondered what the hell I was doing out.

Expand your mind.

City Council voted 37-3 (Mike Del Grande, Rob Ford and Denzil Minnan-Wong were opposed) that allows Cadillac Fairview to develop mixed-use buildings that range in height from 11s to 32s and would add 1,387 residential units and 7,530-square feet of retail and office space through official plan and zoning by-law amendments. The proposal also includes an underground parking garage and a $17-million community centre to be built at the south end of the site by Cadillac Fairview.

City Council voted 37-3 (Mike Del Grande, Rob Ford and Denzil Minnan-Wong were opposed) that allows Cadillac Fairview to develop mixed-use buildings that range in height from 11s to 32s and would add 1,387 residential units and 7,530-square feet of retail and office space through official plan and zoning by-law amendments. The proposal also includes an underground parking garage and a $17-million community centre to be built at the south end of the site by Cadillac Fairview.

Bad news.

Bad news.
Is it? I'd think that was good news. Densification on major corridor, more office and retail, a community centre, and getting parking away from the streetscape. As suburban retail developments go, this seems much more progressive than the typical SmartCentre eye sores.

Is it? I'd think that was good news. Densification on major corridor, more office and retail, a community centre, and getting parking away from the streetscape. As suburban retail developments go, this seems much more progressive than the typical SmartCentre eye sores.

We don't need more condos, especially in Don Mills. I thought the community centre was scrapper ages ago?

We don't need more condos, especially in Don Mills.
I'm amazed there's any demand for them ... but what's the alternative? What would you build there? Isn't the mixture of residential, retail, and business a good thing? Isn't improving the streetscape on Don Mills good? Do you not think what has been built so far is an improvement over that wretched discount mall they knocked down?

I'm amazed there's any demand for them ... but what's the alternative? What would you build there? Isn't the mixture of residential, retail, and business a good thing? Isn't improving the streetscape on Don Mills good? Do you not think what has been built so far is an improvement over that wretched discount mall they knocked down?

Yes and no. The old mall had a much better layout in relation to the street. I don't like how the new development comes right up to the sidewalk. Lawrence feels like a wall now in that area. And the new stores that have opened are 80% womens exclusively. McEwan is great but way too expensive. And the parking garage should have been built underground. The only improvement is that everything looks more pretty.

And as a person that lives in the near by area I don't like all the densification. I'm sure the people living on the Don Way won't be too pleased about these condos.

Yes and no. The old mall had a much better layout in relation to the street. I don't like how the new development comes right up to the sidewalk.
Would you prefer a mall surrounded by parking lots?

Surely any retail area is 80% womens stores ... isn't this true of Eatons Centre?

Would you prefer a mall surrounded by parking lots?

Surely any retail area is 80% womens stores ... isn't this true of Eatons Centre?

No. But they could have set the new mall back from the street and had more green space.

And the parking garage should have been built underground.

With regards to the parking garage, it was built to eventually have ground floor retail built into it. You can see that in this photo, as the roof of the ground level of the garage was raised to about two stories to acommodate a retail/office use. While I agree it would have been nice to hid the parking underground, at least the developers are making some effort to make it urban.
4395140885_b3d5010a07_b.jpg

The major problem I had with the development when I walked through it was the blurred lines between public and private space. Even the street signs were made to look like they were City of Toronto signs, which is very deceptive. It's going to be problematic down the road when this development is fully integrated into the community but the streets are still privately held. Here's the street sign style:
4395920224_174e401901.jpg

I was there last night and it was very busy actually. Jack Astor's was packed. I wouldn't purchase a condo there or want to live there but once the condos all go in it will be a very busy place.

Anyone been here recently, how are the stores doing / new ones opening at all?

Curious, why did Rob Ford vote against this - what was his opposition exactly - I don't think this involved the city giving out any money - is he generally anti development as well?

taal:

He is playing the NIMBY card. Lawrence Heights revitalization is the next on his list - and that's coming from someone who argues developers should contribute to subway lines.

AoD

Anyone been here recently, how are the stores doing / new ones opening at all?

Curious, why did Rob Ford vote against this - what was his opposition exactly - I don't think this involved the city giving out any money - is he generally anti development as well?

Rob Ford said he will not support development in areas where there is local opposition to a project. Let's face it, that's probably every neighbourhood in Toronto. Yes, we do have our share of NIMBYs.

Which leads me to something I'm very curious about. Ford also said he will raise money to build a subway by allowing developers higher density (air rights) along the subway line. Knowing this city and it's NIMBYs, the way we do, how can this work? How can you respect the wishes of NIMBYs and also promise to build a subway financed by taller buildings? Can somebody help me out here? Do I have the facts wrong? I'm just trying to figure out how this seemingly unworkable situation, can be successful? Anybody care to enlighten me?

Back