Sheridan College (MCC, 4s, Rounthwaite Dick & Hadley Architects) COMPLETE

Phase 2
http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?rm=show_top10_project&id=3c93684f0b8c78c8c791a35f68504b9405bb11a9&projectid=9171893&region=ontario

EDUCATIONAL BUILDING

Proj: 9171893-1

Mississauga, Peel Reg ON

CONTEMPLATED

Sheridan College Hazel McCallion Campus Phase II, 4180 Duke of York Blvd, L5B 0G5
$32,500,000 est
Note: This project is preliminary. A Request for Qualification to design, build and finance this project has been issued. Pre-qualified teams will be asked to respond to a request for proposal which is anticipated to be released summer of 2013. Further update at that time.

Project: construction of an educational building which will contain computer laboratories, faculty offices, gallery space, state-of-the-art classrooms and a Centre of Creative Thinking.

Scope: 184,000 square feet

Development: New

Category: Educational bldgs
This report Wed Jan 30, 2013.

yay! can't wait to see it finished. Mississauga will slowly start to take shape as an urban centre now. if only we could get more of an office market here again..

hopefully one day...
http://www.mississauga.com/news/article/1575316--sheridan-to-expand-with-centre-of-creative-thinking

Joseph Chin|Feb 03, 2013 - 3:06 PM
Sheridan to expand with 'Centre of Creative Thinking
Opened less than two years ago, Sheridan College’s Mississauga campus is set to expand.
The college and Infrastructure Ontario have launched the process earlier by issuing a request for qualifications to design, build and finance the second phase of the Hazel McCallion Campus.
The expansion will enable Sheridan to increase the range of programs offered at the City Centre campus and accommodate up to an additional 3,200 full-time students, for a total enrolment of about 5,500.
The new facility, to be located on the existing campus across from Square One, will be approximately 184,000-sq.-ft. and feature state-of-the-art classrooms, computer laboratories, a Centre of Creative Thinking, faculty offices and a gallery space.
The provincial government has committed $60 million toward building the new phase, scheduled to open in fall 2015.
The first phase cost $46 million: $31 million from the provincial and federal governments, the balance from Sheridan.
“The opening of Phase I was met with overwhelming demand for our business programs,” said Sheridan president and CEO Dr. Jeff Zabudsky. “The construction of Phase II will significantly enhance our ability to offer a broader range of innovative and career-focused programs, including baccalaureate degrees, to the residents of Canada’s sixth-largest city.”
“With the building of this new campus, Sheridan College will be able to offer a broader range of programs in an innovative learning environment. This project means that more students in Mississauga will get the education and training they need to succeed in the future,” said John Milloy, minister of training, colleges and universities.

Will Mississauga ever run out of things to name after their overrated, autocratic mayor?

The roundabout sculpture is interesting. I think I like it.

Last edited:
We named one of the most important highways in the country after our mayor.. Mccallion has been mayor for over 30 years and has completely defined the city. She at least deserves a single university satellite campus named after her.

We named one of the most important highways in the country after our mayor

Which mayor is that? I can think of two Metro chairs that have highways named for them, but not any mayor.

Mccallion has been mayor for over 30 years and has completely defined the city. She at least deserves a single university satellite campus named after her.

And got in trouble three times for conflicts of interest, refused to apologize for racist comments, bullied city staffers and councillors, and never faced any credible opposition for 30 years, cakewalking to office, though that's the fault of poor city politics, not her's specifically. She managed a city that had huge geographic advantages, a suburb that would look about the same no matter who's in charge, even if Darwin the Ikea Monkey ran the place.

She's got a parkette across the street, a building at Erindale College, a public school, all sorts of things named in her honour - and she hasn't yet even retired from office.

Perhaps there isn't anyone else from Mississauga worth commemerating (don't dare mention Don Cherry).

OK it was named after Hazel a good long while ago, I don't understand the belated resentment to it now in a thread about Phase II of the campus.

Sour grapes much? I really don't get it.

It's not like Toronto has a Mel Lastman square. Oh wait...

Yes, NPS is named after NP, Mayor of Toronto from 1955 to 1962.

Otherwise in Toronto, MegaMax is correct, we have tended to name our expressways after Metro Chairmen, not mayors. Those would be, of course, FGG, our first Chairman from 1953 to 1961, and then WRA from 1962 to 1969.

Usually, there's one thing named for previous mayors of Toronto, but with few notable exceptions (like Lastman, who was rather full of himself, and this was when mayor of North York), it has always been after leaving office. Givens, Crombie, Rowlands, Eggleton each have a park. Lamport has a stadium. Sam McBride has a ferry. Nathan Phillips gets the famous square, but was named after him after he left office.
Of recent past mayors, Sewell, Hall and Miller have nothing that I know of named for them.

I think William Lyon Mackenzie is the only former mayor to have multiple tributes, but that's a special case.

Pick one thing, a really nice thing, and name it for Hazel when she leaves office, or an outgoing tribute in her final year. Celebration Square would have been perfect, or rename Duke of York Blvd. I just don't like how her name is slapped on multiple institutions when she's still sitting in office.

It's not just an attack on Mississauga, I really dislike how Brampton names streets after sitting mayors, like Robertson (since convicted for real estate law infractions; a rather major roadway, too). Ken Williams was a medicore mayor, but he has a street and a square, I guess because he died in office (on vacation). I'm sure Fennell is salivating over putting her name all over the place, but nothing yet. Even city councillors have streets named for them.

Last edited:
Hazel has been mayor for over a hundred years, it's inevitable that each body needed to name something after her (the Peel District School Board, Sheridan, the City, Oxford).

Sheridan named the campus after Hazel McCallion because they felt that she contributed enough to get that campus built. UTM as well, felt that Hazel McCallion contributed enough to their university to name a building after her. This isn't a case of city council arbitrarily naming somewhat private institutions after the mayor.

Sheridan named the campus after Hazel McCallion because they felt that she contributed enough to get that campus built. UTM as well, felt that Hazel McCallion contributed enough to their university to name a building after her. This isn't a case of city council arbitrarily naming somewhat private institutions after the mayor.

Sq One Mall has her name as well.

Council will name something after her after she out of office like they did for the past 2 councilors. Then there are other places name after ex-councilors and mayor.

Anyway, time to put the thread back on track and move the rest to the soap box thread.

Back