News   Apr 25, 2024
 393     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Sherbourne, one street of two cities

Yea. I mean, Having a shelter is one thing but having 6,7,8,9 of them all lined up on the same street is a recipe for disaster. Constantly see people blocking traffic high off something.

High on life!

You guys do realise that not everyone there is a drug abuser (not user....drug users don't usually go mad)? Some people are just mentally ill and as a society we have yet to take mental health seriously. So, until we do, I suggest we direct our complaints about mental people and their coping mechanisms and symptoms to the appropriate people. Chiefly, the Ministers of Health.

"I have to think TPS has completely forgotten to enforce Provincial laws against public intoxication."

TPS have been "told" to stay out of Moss Park.
The drug users have the run of the neighbourhood...the tax payers are screwed.

Drug users pay taxes too, mate.

For real, have you seen the cost of a bottle of wine?

High on life!

You guys do realise that not everyone there is a drug abuser (not user....drug users don't usually go mad)? Some people are just mentally ill and as a society we have yet to take mental health seriously. So, until we do, I suggest we direct our complaints about mental people and their coping mechanisms and symptoms to the appropriate people. Chiefly, the Ministers of Health.

But I wasn't commenting on the mentally ill people. I was commenting on the drug abusers.

TKE made the entirely reasonable point that concentrating so many of these people in such a small area effectively makes it a lousy place for the rest of us. It was more about zoning than health policy.

TKE made the entirely reasonable point that concentrating so many of these people in such a small area effectively makes it a lousy place for the rest of us. It was more about zoning than health policy.

Yeah, that's true. I agree. It's like how King Street West has too high a concentration of douche bags.

Hey man, just saying....there isn't much of a difference between a crackhead off their nut and some aggro dick high on coke and alcohol.

Same shit. Well, except the aggro can be violent whereas most crackheads are harmless.

Feasibility of Acquisition or Expropriation of 214, 218, 220, 222, 224, 226 and 230 Sherbourne Street
The Staff Report is against a purchase/expropriation - it's the rooming house and vacant land south of Du
ndas.
That's the absolute last thing Sherbourne needs! Put affordable housing across the city, not all in downtown east.

That's the absolute last thing Sherbourne needs! Put affordable housing across the city, not all in downtown east.

I would certainly agree that downtown east has too many shelter beds, and that it has a couple of problem-plagued TCHC sites.

What if the option here were co-op housing, run by an existing reputable provider, and the trade-off including reducing the number of shelter beds on 1 for 2 basis (meaning for every 2 affordable units there was one fewer shelter bed, with a concomitant commitment that those who were using shelters who were able to house themselves but for the money would get first dibs on up to 1/2 the new units?

I would strongly argue for closing the existing Sally Anne men's shelter at Queen, which like Seton house is more of a warehouse than dignified living or a solution to the problem beyond a proverbial band-aid.

It has actually improved in terms of offering some 'better housing; but at 288 beds its just ungainly large and too many residents are essentially nameless faces; its also high-impact on the surrounding community.

I would suggest replacing it with 3 sites that have 'supportive housing', each around 35 units (for residents who need some assistance/supervision to live in the community.

Then another 150 co-op/non-profit units for those who need less help, just an affordable place to live, ID, being linked to benefits programs etc.

Finally a new 'emergency shelter' that is much smaller, say 70 beds, with each being private, and allowing residents to remain all-day if they wish, and providing proper, intensive support in metal health, access to permanent housing, economic supports and so on.

Something more respectful for the needy and the neighbourhood.

The replacement shelter should be nearby so it can open and the old facility can close.

The current site should be redeveloped along w/Moss Park and include mixed income, market, and non-profit/RGI housing in a balanced, urban-friendly way.

The way the city treats the homeowners and neighbourhood around and on Sherbourne is awful. No police enforcement of the SSA or public intoxication laws. They put a injection site in the public park. And we wonder why the area has been surrendered.

The way the city treats the homeowners and neighbourhood around and on Sherbourne is awful. No police enforcement of the SSA or public intoxication laws. They put a injection site in the public park. And we wonder why the area has been surrendered.

Im not saying, but I'm just saying....name me a park that isn't an injection site.

The concentration of lost souls is a bit much, I agree and they should do more to fix that, but the sanctioned injection site was put there for good reason. As opposed to the poor reasoning behind cramming as many lost souls as possible into a small area.

Back