News   Jul 08, 2024
 245     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 598     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 3.2K     0 

Sheppard Stubway

What course of action should be taken in regards to the Sheppard corridor?

• Total voters
And I'm surprised no one has complained that i put in too many stops between Don Mills and Scarborough Centre: Consumers, Pharmacy, Birchmount, Midland, Brimley.

Your map actually has one *less* station than what's been proposed (Consumers, Victoria Park, Warden, Allanford, GO interchange, Midland, STC...those are locations, not names, though).

Your map actually has one *less* station than what's been proposed (Consumers, Victoria Park, Warden, Allanford, GO interchange, Midland, STC...those are locations, not names, though).

I left out Vic Park and Warden because I really don't know how they'd be named.

I always thought "Sullivan" would be a good station name for the Victoria Park North station, an homage to the old village that once resided at that intersection.

You forgot the circle for the Scarborough Centre transfer point, but that's a minor matter.

Because it's at an angle, it's not as easy to cut and paste from one of the other transfer stations unfortunately. My photoshop skills aren't that advanced.

Another advantage of this plan is that we could use blue to represent the DRL if the RT is scrapped.

I pointed out that getting rid of the SRT frees up blue in another thread. Although I would use blue for Eglinton, and red for DRL. Although in the end it doesn't really matter. What matters is getting rid of that damn transfer (and making the map look better).

I always thought "Sullivan" would be a good station name for the Victoria Park North station, an homage to the old village that once resided at that intersection.

That's an interesting idea. :)

Last edited:
What would be the pros and cons of running these two lines as one subway line in a loop a la Yonge and University (besides the pro of saving another colour for use on the DRL/Eglinton crosstown :)). Or is that totally off base for an east-west line?

Sadly, there's enough folks out there (and now one in this forum) who believe BD extensions and Sheppard extensions are pointless. Scarberian was right earlier. The city has made up its mind. I am only praying now that Scarborough does not get stuck with the ART Mk II. Sigh, CC thanks for showing us what could have been.

No one knows that name anymore. Victoria Park North would be the name most likely.

No one knows that name anymore. Victoria Park North would be the name most likely.

Except as someone else pointed out, the street names don't have the word "North" in them. There's Eglinton West and Lawrence West and Lawrence East because the street names have it (Eglinton Ave. W, Lawrence Ave W., Lawrence Ave. E., respectively). So calling it Victoria Park North would be wrong. Especially if we ended up with lines along Eglinton and Sheppard. (I've been working on just such a map) and what then? Victoria Park North and Victoria Park North North? In fact, with multiple east-west subway lines our whole naming convention practically falls apart.

One alternative is to completely rename every subway station by it's intersection (e.g. Victoria Park-Eglinton, Victoria Park-Sheppard, Victoria Park-Danforth) but that becomes cumbersome. Or we could just accept that there will be several stations with the same name. Or we use another name that represents the area, a neighborhood name or something; I'm really not sure what the right answer is.

What would be the pros and cons of running these two lines as one subway line in a loop a la Yonge and University (besides the pro of saving another colour for use on the DRL/Eglinton crosstown ). Or is that totally off base for an east-west line?

Do you mean running Sheppard and Bloor-Danforth as one if Sheppard and Danforth get extended to STC? A Bloor-Danforth-Sheppard line? I suppose it's possible, but it would be unwieldly I think. I'll leave that to the subway experts to answer.

Last edited:
Do you mean running Sheppard and Bloor-Danforth as one if Sheppard and Danforth get extended to STC? A Bloor-Danforth-Sheppard line? I suppose it's possible, but it would be unwieldly I think. I'll leave that to the subway experts to answer.

exactly. not a subway expert myself, so i'm curious to hear the reasoning why making this one line may or may not be a good alignment.

One alternative is to completely rename every subway station by it's intersection (e.g. Victoria Park-Eglinton, Victoria Park-Sheppard, Victoria Park-Danforth) but that becomes cumbersome.

I wouldn't mind that kind of naming convention developing after the institution of a third east-west subway line. Mine would be something like this: Victoria Park @ Sheppard. @ symbol...very catchy.... :cool:

From a recent Steve Munro post to my assertion that the Sheppard Subway is not a failure:

Steve: All things are relative. 50,000 riders is in the same league as many surface routes, but this must be placed in the context of trip length and temporal distribution of ridership. The Spadina/Harbourfront line carried 48,000 riders per day in 2007. However, this line has extremely strong bidirectional and off-peak demand. Indeed, the Spadina car has weekend service equal to peak period service because there are so many riders. There are many origins and destinations of riders on this line.

The subway, by contrast, is heavily used, mainly between its terminals, in the peak direction and peak period. Otherwise, it is very lightly loaded. Replacing the subway with LRT would be possible, but with a very different design of the service.

I don’t use the word “failureâ€, but regard the huge expense and the associated delay in Toronto’s embrace of LRT a sad commentary on our transit history. The projected demand on the subway had it gone to STC was almost entirely derived from riders who would originate in the northeastern 416 and corresponding southern 905 and who should be going downtown on GO. However the demand model had only the Sheppard Subway as a choice of where to assign the trips.

The same model predicted over 50K/hour demand at Bloor/Yonge Station triggering the original version of the mad scheme to expand at that site.

So, should Sheppard have been LRT from the start?

Back