News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 881     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

No. I do think they are pushing more GO service because it's more politically expedient.
So you too think those saying the DRL is dead are wrong. :)

In reality we need both. Though if you dig into the modelling for the Big Move they show huge DRL ridership with the Yonge Extension AND frequent GO service. (the model doesn't care if it's electrified or if it's puled by horses, if it's fast and frequent).

Really? The DRL is close to at its peak level of interest. Metrolinx and the TTC are both doing separate studies into it, Andy Byford and Bruce McQuaig both said it was a priority, and every mayoral candidate has called it a priority (excepting Ford, and Tory's giant flip flop after accusing Chow of somehow not supporting it enough.) The liberals also just got elected to a majority promising a $15 billion pot of cash for GTA transit projects. I think the stars are finally aligning for a DRL, GO-expansion aside.
Not only did they promise a $15 Billion pot of cash, they also specifically committed to building the DRL, GO Electrification and one other project (can't remember).

The reason why there's talk of DRL is because the issue has forced itself, not some politician pushing their pet priority. GO improvements won't cut it downtown, if people have to depend on connecting to streetcars to travel some blocks from a new GO station.

They also promised to not raise taxes.
Who promised not to raise taxes? Metrolinx?

Your clearly not talking about the current government, who had tried to raise taxes in the pre-election budget. Did promise to raise taxes during the election. And then raised them last week.

Who promised not to raise taxes? Metrolinx?

Your clearly not talking about the current government, who had tried to raise taxes in the pre-election budget. Did promise to raise taxes during the election. And then raised them last week.

Metrolinx can't promise any money, only the government can.

I should have been clearer, this Liberal government in 2003. Of course this current Liberal government was preceded by the Conservative government of Harris/Eves.

Politically speaking, York region happens to hold many swing ridings. Yonge North is a politically popular idea in York region. A DRL line needs to be built before the Yonge North extension to York region.

Ergo, I would be very surprised if the DRL is dead.

I would be suprised if Yonge North is built before the DRL. It will get to Steeles, but I am of the opinion that they either build the whole thing or not at all.

I should have been clearer, this Liberal government in 2003. Of course this current Liberal government was preceded by the Conservative government of Harris/Eves.
Do the events that preceded the 38th Parliament have any bearing on what occurs during the 41st Parliament? That was 4 elections ago!

Indeed; though knowing some people on city council, there will likely be a lot of pushback of Sheppard Subway being extended period. I honestly find it really weird for them to be thinking of making Sheppard East and LRT line instead of extending it. It is really a waste of taxpayer money to be leaving a subway line as nothing more then a stump.

Back