News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 869     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

What are your thoughts on this guys? Do you predict that the Ford government will announce funding for this in the next year? Do you guys think that this will become a reality and a reality as a subway?

What are your thoughts on this guys? Do you predict that the Ford government will announce funding for this in the next year? Do you guys think that this will become a reality and a reality as a subway?
I expect it may be trotted out shortly before the election or as a promise during the campaign.

I think for the 4 priority projects (OL, YN, EW, SSE) Doug Ford asked for Federal funding but said they’d go ahead regardless? I remember being very surprised.
The feds provided $10.4 billion for these 4 projects. As is par for the course.

The feds provided $10.4 billion for these 4 projects. As is par for the course.
As I pointed out in the comment you quoted, Doug Ford asked for funding but also said that the province would build the lines regardless of whether the funding would appear. That was surprising.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard that for any other transit project in which matching federal funds were asked for.

EDIT:

Sauce: https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5090394

“Ford did say, however, that his government has allocated future funding based on an assumption that Ottawa will cover up to 40 per cent of the costs of new builds. If they don't, Ford vowed his government would "backstop it ourselves."”

“Ford did say, however, that his government has allocated future funding based on an assumption that Ottawa will cover up to 40 per cent of the costs of new builds. If they don't, Ford vowed his government would "backstop it ourselves."”

What a strange political gambit. What possible motivation do the Feds have, now, for chipping in anything at all?

What a strange political gambit. What possible motivation do the Feds have, now, for chipping in anything at all?

🤷‍♂️

Yes. That’s why I was surprised at the time. The Federal government did step in anyways, before the election IIRC.

At any rate, now we have another capital ask - the subway trains - and there’s been not a peep from the Federal government about that.

As I pointed out in the comment you quoted, Doug Ford asked for funding but also said that the province would build the lines regardless of whether the funding would appear. That was surprising.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard that for any other transit project in which matching federal funds were asked for.

EDIT:

Sauce: https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5090394

This is exactly it, the Ontario government fully funded the projects, that's why they were able to go ahead. Then the federal government chipped in.

Transit funding, especially Scarborough transit funding, is usually associated with electioneering. Those timetables don't necessarily line up provincially and federally.

How did the Crosstown have to do with electioneering in Scarborough?

Also would ideas that have a majority of public support count as electioneering?

Sheppard west extension makes sense however Scarborough needs to prioritize the Eglinton east LRT extension over a Sheppard east subway extension. People in Scarborough need a way to move around inside Scarborough, the LRT will help do that. The Sheppard east subway extension would probably end up as a three or four stop extension at best to justify its cost. Not worth it.

Back