News   Jun 18, 2024
 446     0 
News   Jun 18, 2024
 483     0 
News   Jun 18, 2024
 1.4K     4 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

To be clear, the second Round of consultations They need to develop all the options in more detail. Supposedly, almost everything is still on the table currently. (Except for BRT East of McCowan)

Also, a note on the land acknowledgement. There was no presentation, just those boards. The land acknowledgement was on a sign beside the front door.

To be clear, the second Round of consultations They need to develop all the options in more detail. Supposedly, almost everything is still on the table currently. (Except for BRT East of McCowan)

Also, a note on the land acknowledgement. There was no presentation, just those boards. The land acknowledgement was on a sign beside the front door.

Bolded is key. Just sayin.

Bolded is key. Just sayin.
Consultation theatre, to go along with our land acknowledgement theatre.

There is something kind of insulting about pretending to solicit feedback when really the decisions have been made. It's just an exercise in mollifying the community and diffusing any public resistance.

Spring 2024 - Development of Options and Public Consultation #2. Will be interesting getting some more details on the options.

View attachment 518745
Right in time for the next election ;)

On a serious note, I appreciate Ford / Metrolinx bringing this to the community and having consultation. Imagine Ford pulling of another 3-4 transit priorities at the next election and they all get funded...

SSE / OL North / EG W LRT Pearson Extension are 3 that will forsure be announced.

Can't believe Ford was / will be able to pull of all this

I have heard that a subway extension is a foregone conclusion. At least for a good chunk of the route. These consultations are theatre IMO.

I have heard that a subway extension is a foregone conclusion. At least for a good chunk of the route. These consultations are theatre IMO.
It does make the most sense, especially if you’re talking about relieving the Yonge line. And, honestly, the expense of converting the existing line to another format seems…questionable.

What I’m more interested in is whether they really are going to tunnel it for the entire length!

I think they will actually look at whether to use technology that links in with the heavy subway system and Wilson Yard, or the Ontario Line, which would give them a little more flexibility and the possibility of interlining at some point. They have to pick one and it's a big, real decision. That they aren't foreclosing one or the other is a good sign for transportation planning in Toronto.

I think they will actually look at whether to use technology that links in with the heavy subway system and Wilson Yard, or the Ontario Line, which would give them a little more flexibility and the possibility of interlining at some point. They have to pick one and it's a big, real decision. That they aren't foreclosing one or the other is a good sign for transportation planning in Toronto.
I think the decision is already made, the public only gets to know what the answer is after the consultation theatre.

You heard? Anyone that's watched Doug Ford over the last decade knows LRT will not be a conclusion.
Agreed, it's been obvious for a very long time that both extensions will be full subway. Anything else would be utterly stupid. I could possibly see a surface LRT going east from Sheppard-McCowan however.

Agreed, it's been obvious for a very long time that both extensions will be full subway. Anything else would be utterly stupid. I could possibly see a surface LRT going east from Sheppard-McCowan however.
I agree, unless they find some magical way to run LRT east of McCowan with the same/line equipment they do west of McCowan.

Keep in mind that the study area goes all the way to the Pickering border in the east, and the Barrie GO line in the west.

One real thing that might come out of the study is opportunities to deflect the line somewhat at locations for better placed stations. And if to place stations like the orignally planned Senlac, Willowdale, and Faywood stations. Slightly out of the study area there's decent population density at Keele and Sheppard (cut-and-cover should be relatively simple from Sheppard West station to Keele).

I agree, unless they find some magical way to run LRT east of McCowan with the same/line equipment they do west of McCowan.

Keep in mind that the study area goes all the way to the Pickering border in the east, and the Barrie GO line in the west.

One real thing that might come out of the study is opportunities to deflect the line somewhat at locations for better placed stations. And if to place stations like the orignally planned Senlac, Willowdale, and Faywood stations. Slightly out of the study area there's decent population density at Keele and Sheppard (cut-and-cover should be relatively simple from Sheppard West station to Keele).
I don't think we will ever see Senlac, Willowdale, or Faywood ever come to reality as stations. It would be really surprising if this happened, but I doubt it. For the west extension, the only real station that is needed in between the two branches of Line 1 is Bathurst Station.

I don't think we will ever see Senlac, Willowdale, or Faywood ever come to reality as stations. It would be really surprising if this happened, but I doubt it. For the west extension, the only real station that is needed in between the two branches of Line 1 is Bathurst Station.
I wouldn't be surprised if they at least leave a provision and cut-off walls for Faywood and Senlac, like they've done for Willowdale.

Redevelopment is slowly spreading along Sheppard, and with the big push for increased densification, this corridor could see a lot of growth. Otherwise, I'd think they'd be there eventually - but not in the next decade or two.

Back