News   Jul 19, 2024
 888     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.9K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

Also who ever campaigns on cutting jobs, and hoping the job creator friendly environment that he would provide would conveniently provide jobs for thoses laid off.

That seems implausible. Hudak has promised to stop all construction until the budget is balanced. He'd also promised to cut taxes. At best we are looking at a 5-year delay. So at best a 2025 opening, of something ... perhaps another Stubway.

Even if Hudak is elected, it seems unlikely that he'd still be around in 2025, so it doesn't seem reasonable to claim that it would become a full subway under Hudak.

I'm not sure. Let's say he just switched the order from LRT to HRT, but kept the same current alignment, Mt Dennis-Kennedy. The Crosstown can still open on time, maybe a year late. That would not cost much.

Then again, I would have to agree with because he did day he wants to balance the budget in 2 years (???)

I'm not sure. Let's say he just switched the order from LRT to HRT, but kept the same current alignment, Mt Dennis-Kennedy. The Crosstown can still open on time, maybe a year late. That would not cost much.

Then again, I would have to agree with because he did day he wants to balance the budget in 2 years (???)
How does he do that, and meet his tax cut promise?

And even starting today, how would they get the subway done on time? You'd need to change the design significantly, especially at the stations, and also you'd need new tunnels somewhere to connect, presumably to the University line.

Where's all the extra $ going to come from?

And even starting today, how would they get the subway done on time? You'd need to change the design significantly, especially at the stations, and also you'd need new tunnels somewhere to connect, presumably to the University line.

The design is not hard at all, the money is that hard part and for that I don't have an answer.

If Hudak wins he'll just say that because if the fiscal irresponsibility of the Liberal gov't, the transit projects he promised can't be built.

Precisely. I cannot stress this hard enough: any person who seriously believes that a Premier Tim Hudak would build new transit lines at all is deluding themselves. Plain and simple. Hudak is a radically Tea-Party-reminiscent fiscal conservative, and his plans will involve slashing and burning as much as possible to balance the books, then to cite fiscal irresponsibility - just like TigerMaster stated, and conveniently forgetting the fiscally irresponsible actions of his own party and compatriots in the past, like the privatization of the 407, which will have cost Ontarians untold billions in lost revenue by the time that its lease expires as this province nears the dawn of the 22nd century, not to mention the immense sunk costs - to hand-wavingly avoid keeping true to his empty promises.

His announcements today are no different. And even if he ends up pushing a Sheppard Subway to placate Scarborough residents and purchase votes, we'll end up in 2020 with the same stubway mess that we're in today.

Precisely. I cannot stress this hard enough: any person who seriously believes that a Premier Tim Hudak would build new transit lines at all is deluding themselves. Plain and simple. Hudak is a radically Tea-Party-reminiscent fiscal conservative, and his plans will involve slashing and burning as much as possible to balance the books, then to cite fiscal irresponsibility - just like TigerMaster stated, and conveniently forgetting the fiscally irresponsible actions of his own party and compatriots in the past, like the privatization of the 407, which will have cost Ontarians untold billions in lost revenue by the time that its lease expires as this province nears the dawn of the 22nd century, not to mention the immense sunk costs - to hand-wavingly avoid keeping true to his empty promises.

His announcements today are no different. And even if he ends up pushing a Sheppard Subway to placate Scarborough residents and purchase votes, we'll end up in 2020 with the same stubway mess that we're in today.

What's your 1-900 psychic line number? Have you even remotely consider that the man might be able to deliver?

What's your 1-900 psychic line number? Have you even remotely consider that the man might be able to deliver?

Of course he'd be able to deliver. The question of whether or not he will is completely a different one. Tim Hudak's support does not in large part come from transit riders, and I think we can all here agree that it's important to take campaign promises with a grain of salt. He's promising what he's promising to try to win as many votes in the 416 as he can, and then throw his hands up in the air by claiming fiscal constraints once he gets elected.

This being said I don't want to de-rail this Sheppard thread with too much non-Sheppard-related election talk :p

Of course he'd be able to deliver. The question of whether or not he will is completely a different one. Tim Hudak's support does not in large part come from transit riders, and I think we can all here agree that it's important to take campaign promises with a grain of salt. He's promising what he's promising to try to win as many votes in the 416 as he can, and then throw his hands up in the air by claiming fiscal constraints once he gets elected.

This being said I don't want to de-rail this Sheppard thread with too much non-Sheppard-related election talk :p

I don't trust Hudak, I trust Holiday on the transit file. Also the Cons can't afford a second betrayal or their reelection hopes would shatter since Toronto would never forgive another transit file disaster.

If I was psychic, I think he will hack and slash everywhere just so he can balance the budget and keep Toronto happy with the transit file.

I don't trust Hudak, I trust Holiday on the transit file. Also the Cons can't afford a second betrayal or their reelection hopes would shatter since Toronto would never forgive another transit file disaster.

If I was psychic, I think he will hack and slash everywhere just so he can balance the budget and keep Toronto happy with the transit file.

The rest of the province hates toronto and somehow we think that hudak will cut jobs and services everywhere but spend the most money on toronto transit. That is laughable. If he did that the rest of the province would lose incentive to ever vote pc again.

If the Tories win the election, I can see Hudak making Holiday the minister of transportation and infrastructure.

If the design of the stations is the issue then that's why I said he may just have a fully underground LRT like the 2010 plan. To many people a "subway" is an underground electric train, it doesn't matter to them whether it's 3rd rail or pantograph.

If he doesn't want to spend extra money they could simply not build the surface section and have it be Black Creek to Laird. This is all theoretical though.

If he doesn't want to spend extra money they could simply not build the surface section and have it be Black Creek to Laird. This is all theoretical though.
Yes, that's perhaps the most likely scenario. Or to Don Mills ... they wouldn't have to do massive work to completely grade-separate Leslie ... worst-came-to-worse a couple of fly-overs. Don Mills road itself is already planned to be underground.

Still, I don't know how that fit's into Hudak's promise to not spend on transit until the budget is balanced. The current tunnelling contracts are only $497 million total. The contract that's to be awarded late 2014 or early 2015 is the biggie, to build the stations, the track, the electrical system, and the yard, and the surface section and is expected to be about $4.5 billion. Cancelling the 5.5 km piece of surface track from the portal east of Don Mills, to the portal west of Kennedy would save only about $300 million. Cancelling the station and tunnel into Kennedy is no more than $200 million. So even if Hudak shortens it, they are looking at about a $4 billion contract. I can't see them awarding this.

Last edited:

Back