News   Jul 19, 2024
 918     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.9K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

It's funny that you mention Yonge. The project is very likely off the table. There wasn't a mention of the project in the transit funding announcement last week.

If you think that the Sheppard Subway has any chance of getting funding while the gov't hasnt yet dedicated a penny to fund the Yonge extension, your deluding yourself.

apparently Wynne mentioned it at the announcement on Thursday, but in a rather veiled way.

I feel that they are going to be looking for federal and municipal money on a lot of these projects. Fund the GO expansions 100%, and then start asking for federal and local cash for the other projects to go in the traditional 33/33/33 split.

Trust me it does, otherwise one of the main tenents of opposing yonge for some people would not be "its not in the city!"

I think the main argument is "it's already full" from everyone using it now.

No one ever gives up in this city, on any side of any argument, whether it's trying to switch an LRT to subway, a subway to LRT, or something to something else.

apparently Wynne mentioned it at the announcement on Thursday, but in a rather veiled way.

I feel that they are going to be looking for federal and municipal money on a lot of these projects. Fund the GO expansions 100%, and then start asking for federal and local cash for the other projects to go in the traditional 33/33/33 split.
I didn't hear it at all. Langstaff is dead unless it's otherwise stated somewhere. I think the city and YR need to give money to make it a priority. Same with Eglinton West, WWLRT, etc.

I think the main argument is "it's already full" from everyone using it now.

No one ever gives up in this city, on any side of any argument, whether it's trying to switch an LRT to subway, a subway to LRT, or something to something else.

Well I mean for some people.

It's funny that you mention Yonge. The project is very likely off the table. There wasn't a mention of the project in the transit funding announcement last week.

My understanding is that capacity issues will be improved first (i.e DRL) before the Yonge extension moves forward.

My understanding is that capacity issues will be improved first (i.e DRL) before the Yonge extension moves forward.

Exactly it was always stated that the DRL will be built first then the Yonge extension.

Everybody knows this already.

It was assumed thought that Yonge would open at the same time or right after the Relief Line. ML may have even put a date on TBM website.That means we need funding for Yonge today.

The fact that we just saw the govt dedicate something like $25 Billion extra to transit without mentioning Yonge should be worrisome to those who want to see it built.

Exactly it was always stated that the DRL will be built first then the Yonge extension.

I think they are just going to build the DRL first imo. It should go eglinton if yonge is being built though.

As for this thread, like i said in the op now Tory has gone wayward on Eglinton Connects I can see him caving on the Sheppard subway too. That's a problem.

^The link didn't work. Try this: http://spacing.ca/toronto/2014/05/08/lorinc-john-tory-qa-pay-transit/

In an interview yesterday with Spacing at a Danforth cafe, Tory insisted he’s not going to tack right. But he did reveal that if he’s elected, he’ll push Metrolinx and the province to delay the Finch West and Sheppard East LRT projects so he can accelerate work on a Yonge Street Relief Line.
“If my next priority after the Scarborough subway is a Yonge Street Relief Line, then I have to get that funded and the agreement of the other governments to similarly move it to the top of the list. What follows is obviously a timetable of other priorities that are behind that. I can’t have it both ways and say we should proceed with those [Finch and Sheppard] immediately.”

I don't think you can necessarily make the assumption that failure to endorse the LRT plan for Sheppard in the short term = support for a subway extension. I interpret it as "we need to see how much money we'll be getting from other levels of government for the DRL before we commit to these LRT projects".

Like I said the DRL thread, it's already funded man. How long will it take to build Finch, 3 years?

Back