News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.1K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 666     1 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

Poll results review: How high should be the priority of upgrading the Sheppard East transit, http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...corridor-versus-other-transit-projects.27697/

21 people voted. The number of choices was unlimited; 42 votes received. Observations:

1) Very few feel that Sheppard Corridor should be a top priority; just 3 votes.

2) Relief line (Long or Short) is deemed much more urgent.

3) However, most think that something needs to be done for Sheppard. Only 6 votes in total were cast for just enhanced bus (3 votes) or no upgrades at all (3 votes).

4) Finch LRT didn't score very high on this poll (just 3 votes). However, another poll "Finch LRT or Sheppard LRT" (posted by Elite People) appears to show that Finch LRT is heavily favored over Sheppard (20 votes vs just 3).

It looks like many people feel Finch LRT is not the top priority, but still more urgent than Sheppard LRT.

Poll results review: Do you support any of the Scarborough Subways, and do you have any ties to Scarborough, http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...rough-subways-depend-on-where-you-live.27699/

33 people voted, and 33 votes cast (only 1 choice per person allowed, as the choices are mutually exclusive).

1) Overall support for 2|1|0 subway extensions into Scarborough
Two subways: 8 votes
One subway, but not two: 6 votes
No subway extensions: 19 votes

2) How does it depend on the person's relation to Scarborough

Interestingly, those who used to live/work/study there, but not related at present, are most definitely against the subways. They casted 5 votes against any extension, 1 vote for one extension, and zero votes for both extensions.

Results for those who are currently associated with Scarborough, and those who never were, are kind of close to each other. [Surprize; I thought those two groups would be furtherst apart.] Amongst both groups, support for at least some extensions is close to 50%.

Currently associated: 2|2|4 for two|one|no subways
Never were associated: 6|3|10 for two|one|no subways

Last edited:
I used to travel to the UTSC area from Downtown on a daily basis. I thought making that trip would somehow make me see the value in the Scarborough Subway, but it only solidified my opposition towards it. Not only does it not have a positive effect on commuters coming from eastern Scarborough, I expect it will be a detriment due to the removal of Lawrence East Station.

My number one priority for Scarborough is the Eglinton East LRT and RER. Everything else is of questionable value.

^^ I agree.

Eglinton is an important crosstown connecting route but it is RER that is the game changer. Thank god it's a QP project and not Toronto one or they would still be debating the issue and eventually would never get built.

These LRT lines and even the DRL are good for local use but it's RER that will completely change the way people in Toronto and the GTA get around.

I used to travel to the UTSC area from Downtown on a daily basis. I thought making that trip would somehow make me see the value in the Scarborough Subway, but it only solidified my opposition towards it. Not only does it not have a positive effect on commuters coming from eastern Scarborough, I expect it will be a detriment due to the removal of Lawrence East Station.

My number one priority for Scarborough is the Eglinton East LRT and RER. Everything else is of questionable value.

What will be faster to UTSC? BDL to SCC and Scarborough Durham BRT on Ellesmere or the BDL to Kennedy and Eglinton East with all the stops?

Also I see many reasons as to why we should connect SCC to the current network In a seamless manner which likely doesn't matter to some outsiders, or UTSC only riders. And while the value of the current plan can certainly be questioned I don't see any plan being accepted without connecting SCC . I don't even think that would even be remotely considered by any Politician within the area and outskirts

Last edited:
What will be faster to UTSC? BDL to SCC and Scarborough Durham BRT on Ellesmere or the BDL to Kennedy and Eglinton East with all the stops?

Also I see many reasons as to why we should connect SCC to the current network In a seamless manner which likely doesn't matter to some outsiders, or UTSC only riders. And while the value of the current plan can certainly be questioned I don't see any plan being accepted without connecting SCC . I don't even think that would even be remotely considered by any Politician within the area and outskirts
Line 2 to STC and DRT PULSE BRT is definitely faster than Line 2 to Kennedy and Line 5 to UTSC (even if no dedicated lanes, only queue lanes). Subway + "Express" subway + Bus Rapid Transit is more faster than subway + Local Light Rail Transit.

The only drawback is the potential for fare savings due to fare integration not being existent.

^ Fare integration might well be in place by the time both lines are built. Even if not, TTC can run its own express bus connecting STC to UTSC and then to Rouge Hill GO; basically, 38E, using same Ellesmere bus lanes as Durham Pulse buses.

Eglinton East LRT will be serving more local trips, and feed the riders into subway or GO RER at Kennedy. Plus, some of the UTSC students will find housing along Eglinton East and will use the light rail line to get to the campus. For the end to end trip, the subway plus BRT combo will be faster.

Last edited:

Imagine how much more attractive an option the Eglinton East LRT to UTSC would be if they'd just grade-separate the stations like what's being proposed for Eglinton West.

Imagine how much more attractive an option the Eglinton East LRT to UTSC would be if they'd just grade-separate the stations like what's being proposed for Eglinton West.
That's why, if Sheppard subway was converted to same technology as Scarborough, it would actually be an extension from Centennial College that serves UTSC.
SSS.jpg

Attachments

• SSS.jpg
    SSS.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 265
These LRT lines and even the DRL are good for local use but it's RER that will completely change the way people in Toronto and the GTA get around.

RER's success in the 416 is entirely tied to both fare and service integration. No fare integration and no proper feeders services? It'll fail.

Imagine how much more expensive it would be and therefor less likely to get built, the line is already unfunded, and would not be that much faster.

^ Well, the title is Sheppard Subway Extension (Proposed); that means alternative transit solutions for the Sheppard corridor vaguely fit the topic.

Back